THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145327 - 03/15/02 09:15 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk

#145328 - 03/15/02 10:27 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
jett'in fool, well said, i to pack have for 10 years, have yet to have to pull on anyone, i don't fight but will if i feel for a the right reason i believe education is the best bet, i have a family to protect as well as my self, and unfortnally the world today is full of some uneducated people who don't know how to act, so i will not be the down fall of those people, sadly enough this is the real world, will help when i can but also know when to walk away

#145329 - 03/15/02 10:33 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
You can bemoan "what things have come to", but that hardly means things haven't, indeed, come to "this". I don't pack heat because I'm pretty confident in my abilities to avoid a situation which would call for a piece, but you never know. Like bardo, I've decided that packing isn't in my, or anyone else's best interest.

However, like Andy (Dogfish), my partner almost always packs his piece when we're fishing. Does it bother me? No, because he's well trained in it's use, and I feel that if he did pull it, I'd be glad he had it with him. I figure, until he shows some irresponsibility in it's handling, I have no reason to get wound up about him carrying.

Gee, bardo............if only ALL of us could fish where there aren't any people. We don't all have helos, you know. laugh cool

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#145330 - 03/15/02 10:57 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Wishiniwasfishin Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens
I am with Dogfish, Jett'in Fool, and Easy Limits......The reason we carry a gun (conceled) is to not only protect ourselves, but our families from the scum you cannot walk away from.

The day you need your gun, and use, may be one of the most unhappy days in your life, but your family will be glad you did...

Pack it, great..............Pull it, use it.........

#145331 - 03/15/02 11:02 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
Why does packing heat make you a wuss? I just dont see it. The only reason for shooting somebody is to protect life. Can you protect life when you need to without a gun? Maybe, maybe not. Its not even legal in oregon,(dont know about washington) to display a gun if you have a concealed cary permit. So ask them if they have a concealed permit, if they say yes, report them if they are waving it around. The way it was explained to me during my concealed carry class is if you have to pull a gun and you dont use it you are gonna go to jail. So make sure you only pull it if you really need it. Some people pack all the time. It is our right, and I dont see anything wrong with that. How in the heck are you supposed to know when you might need your gun? Are you less likely to need it fishing then going to the movies? Just when is it ok and not ok to carry? If its a one on one confrontation, ill take an a$$ whipping before id pull a gun. But if they were armed and i thought my or someone elses life was in danger id protect that life by whatever means i had. probably with a 9mm.

#145332 - 03/15/02 11:34 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

my 02, thats why people get consealed weapons permits because thy fell confident in there own judgment in knowing when to use and when to walk the ones that don't are the reason everyone else does

#145333 - 03/15/02 11:37 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
You pack heat while fishing for the same reason you would pack heat anywhere. To defend yourself and/or others. Just because someone is fishing doesn't mean they're not a total whack job. KB, are you saying that people shouldn't bring a method to protect themselves while fishing? How about in other situations? What's the difference?

#145334 - 03/15/02 11:48 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

like any thing else you don't play by the rules you pay the consuquenses' you pack heat and play by the rules no consuquenses you have the upper hand plain and simple

#145335 - 03/15/02 11:52 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
danny boy, you can bet your ass that i'm going to pack one huge gun this fall when we go to the babine. i just spent an hour with your mom,and bill planning the trip, and she says she might take your place and try out her new fly rod. you'd better start training your replacement

#145336 - 03/15/02 11:55 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
The world according to Dan:

1. Grandpa gave his life so that people like us could continue to enjoy the freedoms the founding fathers carved out for us. I think the right to keep and bear arms should be completely protected. No, Charleton Heston isn't my president, but he is right....

2. Having said that, I also agree that with such a weighty right comes an equally weighty responsibility. There is no excuse for bullying with firearms. There is no excuse for carelessly leaving one around where a child can find it a have a tragedy. There is no decent reason to ever try to intimidate or act macho with a firearm of any type. There is sometimes a bona fide use for protection (check out the column in every edition of National Rifleman). Choice number 1 would always be no confrontation. However, I'd rather my wife shoot some ******* that tried to rape her than have her be unarmed.

3. I do have the same pet peeve Coho has WRT people who feel the need to brag that they're packing heat. That's scary to me.

4. I guess guns aren't much different than cars to me: The fact that some people are absolutely idots with them doesn't mean that I am unsafe with them. I wouldn't vote to take away your car because some other idiot got behind the wheel drunk.

WITH RIGHTS COME RESPONSIBILITIES. Ask my kids.

Fisherdan

#145337 - 03/16/02 12:23 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Seeking to intimidate someone with the fact that you are packing heat, in the absence of a threat is sufficient evidence that you are not responsible enough to be trusted with a weapon, in my opinion. It also will cause you to have your carry permit removed immediately, if that fact is brought to the attention of law enforcement officials.

I have a large number of firearms that I collect and keep for sporting purposes. I often carry for protective purposes when in bear country, typically Alaska. I sometimes carry (legally) when in the habitat of other dangerous animals. I leave it to the observer to deduce when that might be.

And don't try to harass my wife. She's a good shot, too.

#145338 - 03/16/02 12:25 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
I'm not one to pick fights. If something came up, I would just walk away. Injury is not worth any fishing gear.

My opinion is don't pack unless your going into a deep dark wilderness area.

Why people pack heat? Just start this thread to get your answer. Security,safety, and protection.

Matt

#145339 - 03/16/02 12:27 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
AD Offline
Alevin

Loc: Penticton,BC,Canada
Come fishing for salmon in the remote BC rivers and you'll know why we pack heat.Can you say Grizzly?

#145340 - 03/16/02 12:29 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Well said fisherdan. I concur 100%
Training is the key, and with training one should learn responsibility. A weapon is not a toy to be used carelessly for intimidation; it should only be drawn to protect life and limb.

#145341 - 03/16/02 12:49 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
ramprat Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Graham
Coho,
I agree with Silver Hilton
Seeking to intimidate someone with the fact that you are packing heat, in the absence of a threat is sufficient evidence that you are not responsible enough to be trusted with a weapon, in my opinion. It also will cause you to have your carry permit removed immediately, if that fact is brought to the attention of law enforcement officials.
Most people are responsible enough to know this and just like driving down the freeway there will allways be the one who cuts in front of you no turn signal almost clips your front end that will piss you off. Owning and carrying a firearm is a constitutional right and even though there is a few people who misuse their rights most of us respect and obey the laws. If you have a problem with someone who is abusing their right to carry a firearm contact the local law enforcement and give them a discription or a licence number of the person.
Ramprat

#145342 - 03/16/02 12:56 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Other then Alaska (bears)where I carried a sawed-off 12g., I've never felt like I needed to pack anything other then rod and gear. I've fished amongst some A-hole Cowlitz fishermen as well as Reiter and a few other areas that draw large crowds and have never felt threatened, if and when a situation comes that I wish I had a gun, that will probably be my last day on the river.

#145343 - 03/16/02 01:29 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
If you ever see my gun it will be the last thing you ever see. I have carried a gun for 10 years and even my closest fishing partners dont know it. As a matter of fact I have never shown my gun to anyone. The idea of carrying a concealed weapon is just that, To keep it concealed, unless you plan to use it. I carry a weapon because I have the right to, I carry it for my personal protection, not because I think it's cool or whatever. If you dont believe in carrying one, don't!!! I have spent my time serving this great country and defending the rights and freedoms that we all enjoy and the right to bear arms is one of them. Just be glad when I'm in the store with you when it gets robbed, at least you have a chance to survive. My .02 worth.
John

#145344 - 03/16/02 01:43 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
FishnMagician, I have no problem with people (with permits) carrying concealed weapons, but unless your a trained cop, I seriously doubt I would be glad I'm in a store with you when it gets robbed, from everything I've read and heard, my chances of being shot greatly improve when cowboys such as yourself show up. Could be wrong, just my opinion.

#145345 - 03/16/02 01:45 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Fish'n'Magician,

You are right on target, if you will excuse the phrase. Concealed carry is the ultimate ground of, don't ask, don't tell.

Think for a moment. What if we really had a freedom to carry society? What if 3 people had been armed on each of those plane flights last september?

And for the next terrorist incident, will we be asking, what if some of those passengers had been carrying a freaking pocket knife?

If you engage in arms control, you yield power to the outlaws. If you have good arms control, it's worse, you yield control to the smart, devious outlaws.

#145346 - 03/16/02 06:05 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
SeanD Offline
Fry

Loc: Tigard, OR
The opinion that only "trained cops" can handle a weapon safely and effectively is pretty funny. I hit a deer once about six years ago and a cop stopped to check it out. When he drew his pistol and killed the deer his "training" was evident. I still laugh when i think about it. I think id feel safer with someone that knew how to shoot. Just my opinion. Just a few months ago i got pulled over and was friendly chatting with the cop and he told me the muzzle velocity of his .40 was 3000 feet per second. What kind of training do these guys get?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |