THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145347 - 03/16/02 11:02 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
I have carried mine concealed ever since I got back from Vietnam. (1968) Most of my partners over the years never even new I carried. A couple of my buddys thanked God I had one. I just do not let people know.

#145348 - 03/16/02 01:28 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
My 3 main points are,
1. I pack because I can.
2. Never pull it out unless you're gonna use it.
3. You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.

#145350 - 03/16/02 01:56 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
AK - I agree with you completely on the aspect of training being important. Almost anyone can figure out how to fire a weapon , but that is only part of weapons training. You need to know when and when not to engage with your weapon. I have been in situations where I was able to walk away from trouble, thank god. If the weapon were to have been drawn the outcome could have been alot different. You are trained that once you draw the weapon (ONLY IF YOU FEEL YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE IS IN MORTAL DANGER) you pull, evaluate , and fire. All shootings go to a grand jury to decide whether it was justified or not. That being said, Again pull ONLY IF YOU FEEL YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE IS IN MORTAL DANGER . Along with the right to carry, comes the heavy responsibility that others here have stated.
John

#145351 - 03/16/02 07:52 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
YoungManRiver Offline
Alevin

Loc: Klamath River, CA
Is where we are that far from where we have come from??

Some thoughts to ponder...

**An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

**A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

**Glock: The original point and click interface.

**Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

**If guns are outlawed, can we use swords? or sticks? or rocks? or our hands?

**If guns cause crime then pencils cause misspelled words.

**Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

**If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

**Those who trade liberty for security, have neither.

**The United States Constitution(c) 1791. All Rights reserved.

**What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.

**The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.

**64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

**Guns only have two enemies; rust and liberals.

**Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

**You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

**Assault is a behavior, not a device.

**Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

**If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

**Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

**You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

**Enforce the "gun control laws" we have, don't make more.

**When you remove the peoples right to bear arms, you create slaves.

**The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

** "...a government of the people, by the people, for the people..."

#145352 - 03/16/02 09:29 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
On a local river 3 years ago I walked into a hole by myself in the dark. Soon after I arrived a guy was in my face asking what I was doing in his hole.It took me a moment to answer this fools question.I don't think he liked the answer.But he was smart enough not to continue.This was a day I was glad to be packing.

#145353 - 03/16/02 09:42 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I used to carry a .38 with me because I used to hitchhike back to my rig after the float was over. You know, back in the days that you could leave your boat unattended with all your gear in it and it would still be there when you returned.

One day, someone stopped to pick me up, and as I was getting into their truck, the gun fell out of the holster onto the pavement. I couldn't have felt worse about how that wigged them out...it was a husband and his wife. I ended up explaining why I carried a gun, handed it over to him, he gave me the ride back to my rig and I never carried one again. It's now stored away in a box.

People are inherently good, I like to think. Why freak em out?

diana

#145354 - 03/16/02 10:38 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
I usally carry a .44 mag with me because Washington fish are So Much Bigger than Oregon fish I have to shoot them to land them! laugh laugh
Isn't that right Mr. Jackson! See ya next month.

P.S Can I park my trailer at your place for a couple of days? Just until I can get a permit to haul it back home, Thanks DJ! laugh

#145355 - 03/17/02 12:14 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
I see your points Dogfish, Coot22, and everybody else, but I still don't think I would feel safe fishing next to certain people with a concealed weapon in their possession. Most of you guys and gals I'm sure are careful and wouldn't pull it unless you absolutely needed to. (BTW, didn't know you were an officer, Dogfish?)

Once again, just in my own opinion, I believe it would be safer to leave the gun at home unless you're going into the backwoods or a rough situation like the alleys of inner-city L.A. Taking the law into your own hands is a risky call. But, it's your decision not mine.

I would much rather spend a nice day fishing, enjoying the outdoors, and not worrying if I'll have to use my gun.

If I come back to my car and see that it's being broken into, I'll probably hide and make some kind of noise in the bushes to alert the crook that somebody's watching. It's better than confronting them with the gun and having an outcome like the ending of so many tragic movies. If an enraged drunk tries to start conflict with me, I'll walk away. If he wants to jump me, I'm sure that my fellow anglers would come to assist me.

Has anybody ever thought about a knife instead of a gun? I know lots of people that have hunting knives strapped to their belts 24/7. Pepper mace possibly? Seems to me, they would be safer. Maybe couldn't stop that criminal who's packing heat, but at least it would be a threat to an un-armed perp.

Call me a pussy, call me whatever you want, this is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I acknowledge your opinions. At least acknowledge mine.

#145356 - 03/17/02 12:46 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
i always pack heat in the winter.my 44 and my 9.the 44 has 3 burners and my 9 has 1.makes for a better fishing trip on them cold days. laugh wink scott

#145357 - 03/17/02 12:55 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kelowna British Columbia
A couple of years ago I was fishing a quiet strech of the Bella Coola river in British Columbia After a hours fishing and landing several salmon,I started back wading chest deep along the shore line of a small island. I came to a deep spot so I climbed out on the bank .several steps later I came on two salmon carcases;one was freshly eaten to the bones ,the other had deep claw marks on its back.Two steps further I found a large bed down area still warm and smelling of grizzley.
I had been fishing for an hour within fifty yards of a large male grizzley. Normally I would have been packing a 12 guage magnum bear stick but on this occasion I had left it behind .
Say what you like but you feel a lot more relaxed if your alone in bear country when your packing something with enough stopping power.

#145358 - 03/17/02 01:26 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
i believe in gun control also, that's why i use 2 hands

#145359 - 03/17/02 04:28 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Jack Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Gig Harbor
I thought that I could stay out of this, but, I just can't.

Coho- you are way off base in your thinking. In the Law Enforcement community we have a saying, "there is always someone out there that can kick your ars." We believe that the best fight is no fight. We don't want to find out if the next guy we contact is the one that will mop the floor with us. Nothing "wussy" about it. You sound like you think you can take care of yourself with just your bare hands. If you are a skilled fighter then my hat is off to you. The problem is when you bring your fists to a gun fight. You are foolish to believe that you will have the opportunity to control every situation. The Crack Head that approaches you and puts a gun to your head for dope money isn't really in the frame of mind to negotiate with you. In this situation, you don't really have a say in the matter if you're not packing. He chooses whether you live or die. I'm not picking on you, but, one day you may wish that you excercised your right to carry a handgun. (Hope that day never comes)

Krome Brite- I'm still trying to figure you out. As far as I can tell, you seem to thing that other people will bail you out of a situation if you get in one. All I can say is that there is nobody better to rely on but yourself. Your fellow fishermen won't always be there for you.

For the rest of you- I am very impressed and relieved at what I've read. It sounds like most of you are squared away in your thinking and I wouldn't hesitate to fish next to you on a river.
You are right on the money when you say to walk away. Nothing is worth it. It also sounds like most of you will also make the right descision when forced to draw your weapon. After all, it will be after he(badguy) has drawn his weapon first right? Otherwise there is no justification for it. The jury won't believe you.

A heads up- A concealed weapon is just that, a "concealed" weapon. If you think that you are getting away with leaving your weapon exposed for other people to tremble over, then it isn't concealed. If your jacket isn't long enough to cover that weapon then tough, should have purchased a longer jacket. That is part of the responsibility of owning a handgun and following the guidelines of the permit to carry one. If that jacket was never really long enough to reasonably conceal the gun, then the judge won't buy your excuse. In a perfect situation, we should be able to look at each other and not be able to tell if each other is packing.

Point to ponder- Excluding wildlife, There is only two situations to draw your weapon. 1) to protect your own life and 2) to protect anothers life from imminent danger. Here is a scenario that we should all think about...I am Joe citizen fishing next to 2 idiots that descide to start verbally arguing. The argument becomes way more heated then it should and idiot #1 pulls a gun on idiot #2 and points it at him. As a citizen, what are your options? Let me hear them. This scenario is directed at those of you that think it would be wonderful to pull your gun out first in a verbal confrontation.
I picked this scenario because it hits so close to home with most of us, and it may be the scenario that has the better odds of rearing it's ugly head. Jack

#145360 - 03/17/02 04:29 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
If you're a bankie, encounters with vicious dogs are a real possibility. A fishing partner was bitten by a free roaming doberman, and he drew his handgun, as the dog threatened to come back for seconds. I have no qualms about fishing, hiking, or camping with companions who carry concealed firearms; just means I don't have to.

#145361 - 03/17/02 08:56 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
Loco_Dingo Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise
I thought I'd avoid this thread but then had a moment of weakness...

People have personality traits that express themselves in what they do, just like the thread of 'Fish like you drive'. I've met idiots who were more likely to be confrontational when they packed a gun to back them up. I know a lot more people who carry when they know they will be in a high risk situation; i.e., Los Angeles during the Rodney King riots. So the real question is how do we keep guns out of the hands of the bad guys and jerks without infringing on the rights of honest citizens? Enforcing the laws on the books is a good start.

Personally I do not even own a handgun now having sold my Springfield P9, but I do take a shotgun when camping in remote road access area. I don't take one backpacking or going to high use campground, I don't see the need.

#145362 - 03/17/02 10:30 AM Re: Why people pack heat?
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Thought that I could just let this one pass, but I've just got to put my .02 in. I pack a Smith&Wesson .45 everywhere I go......Especially fishing. I carry my .45 concealed and about99% of the time, nobody has any idea that I'm packing. I pack for a couple of reasons, first and foremost, I fish alone most of the time. Not only do i fish alone, but most of the areas I fish are somewhat remote. I was fishing for Summer runs on a Local river last summer, it was about 3:00 AM and I was all by myself, in the middle of nowhere with nothing around...... Not even my .45, I had forgotten to strap it on that day. All of a sudden, I hear something behind me go snap. I wirl round and what do I see but a great big cat standing about thirty feet behind me! Luckily, that cat ran off as soon as I whirled around on him, but you can imagine how badly I'd have liked to have been packing that day. I was so freaked out that hiked all the way back to the truck and went home...... I never even wet a line! So I'd say that cougars are a pretty damn good reason to pack a gun. I'd also say that people who think that they're tough guys and that only wussies would ever pack guns and that if anyone ever gave them trouble they'd just fight it out, well people like that are the other reason I pack a gun.

#145363 - 03/17/02 12:46 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
The reason I brought this up in the first place should have been stated before many of us made acusations-me included.

I overheard a conversation-I think it was Idiot 1 and Idiot 2 as you are talking of Jack-The young hot shot made a statement-Im not scared of anybody--I Pack on the river" That set me back, I thought this guy is carrying a gun for the wrong reason--how many of him are out there? Thinking if anyone pisses me off Im pulling my gun out and by the sounds of it--if its pulled you better shoot and not sit on the pot right? For what, a guy low holed you side drifing 300yrds down from you and the heated arguement turned ugly. Damn right you better use it-cause the guy you pulled it on you have just threatned him with his life and he is gonna throw that gun in the river and go Tie Domi on your arse--but you will still walk away more than likely with a lesson learned. I should have killed him.

By listening to him, he thought I have a gun now and there aint no one gonna f with me. I have Power--he was boasting about it, eh

I am far from the type of person that looks--seeks any type of confrontation, but I can clearly see that if for any reason that I am faced with it--- I will be the wuss--(Hey I just like that word) swallow my pride and back down. Only for the reason that the guy has a gun. All fisherman should make sure not to leave home without it. mad

#145364 - 03/17/02 12:48 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
kevin lund Offline
Spawner

Loc: gales creek, or
Holly cow!

You guys are incredible. When was the last time, if EVER you heard of a man being shot on the river for arguing aver something. It just doesn't happen. I know a guy who was fishing on the wilson in summer time years ago and he had a good reason why you should pack a gun. He had a guy approach him while fishing and ask if he would ber interested in a BJ. THATS RIGHT,"BJ" now if you had a gun you mught be able to let this *** know you weren't interested.Or maybe you just like to see HIS gun.

You never know when you may need to have a weapon on board, its your "right to bear arms" and should not be taken away by some guy who chooses not to pack.

Never had to pull mine, but a close friend of mine got robbed a gunpoint in beaverton at a drive thru, while he had his 7 year old boy in car. Would have been nice to grease that goon when he was running away with you money!
"BOCLMN"
Kevin Lund

#145365 - 03/17/02 02:00 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Jack Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Gig Harbor
Kevin Lund- You are another person who is foolish to believe that a verbal confrontation turned into a gunfight couldn't happen on the river. I've seen the armpit of humanity and I am here to tell you that anything can happen. If you people refuse to believe that, then you are future victims. As for "greasing" somebody as they are running away with your money....You fail. Badguy is no longer considered a threat if he is running away from you. A grade of F for descision making. You could be charged both in criminal and civil for those actions.

People, I'm only posting to give you a reality check. For evey story you have that didn't turn out to be gunplay, I have several that did. You have no idea how many dirtbags there are out there. You would be shocked to know who lives around the corner from you. Burglars, Robbers, Rapists, sex offenders(many), and typical low-life scum drug users(many). Hey, not my choice, just reality. That is why officers tell you to lock up, leave lights on, put cars in your garages, be aware of your surroundings, don't leave your car running unattended while you're inside of a business getting a coffee(pet peeve). Get my drift?

On a personal note- I pack probably 50% of the time while I am on a river, and probably 25% of the time around town. So, I am not a gun freak who always has to have one with him all of the time. I'm not saying that those of you that pack 100% of the time are freaks. It just may be that you are 50% smarter then me on the rivers and 75% smarter around town. I probably should carry it 100% of the time (just being honest).

#145366 - 03/17/02 02:28 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Stillyman Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Arlington
Wow, I didn't realize so many people packed when they go fishing. The only gun I've seen on a river was a guy who was putting on his strap at his car while gearing up. In my opinion I don't think it's necessary, except mabey in Alaska for grizzlies. There are no animals here in Washington that I feel I need to pack for. Cougars and black bears are seen often, but it's very rare that they will ever attack.

Being attcked by another person is even less likely. The only time anyone would pull out their gun on a person would be if the "bad guy" did it first, right? I've never been in this type of situation before, but if someone has a gun pointed at you I doubt they will just let you reach for yours. Seems like going for your gun would just increase one's chances of getting shot. If some lowlife ever approaches me on the river, I will do my best to aviod it, but I would take an ass whoopin' way before I would ever use a gun. Whats wrong with just carrying mace or a knife?

I'm not totally against guns or anything. Most people here seem to be responsible and know when it's appropriate to use a gun. I would feel safe fishing next to any of you, since I probably wouldn't even know you were packing. In my opinion though, I don't think it's neccessary to pack just to go fighing. If I ever saw a gun pulled on me or someone else on the river, I would quit fishing altogether.

#145367 - 03/17/02 02:32 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Jett'in Fool Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
Jack, can you answer a question for me.
I recently moved from Oregon to Washington. Do I need a Washington Concealed liscense? If so, can I still go from state to state and conceal legally?

Thanks

Fool

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |