LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145934 - 03/19/02 05:58 PM What's a good downrigger rod and reel?
WoodinvilleBill Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodinville, WA
After 15 years of hard use my old fiberglass rod and Penn 109 reel are about irrepairable and ready to be replaced. Since it's been quite a few years since I have had to look for new gaer, does anyone have a good recomendation?

I like the Penn 109 because you can click the clicker over and the spool works in both directions which is convenient for letting line up and down for mooching without clicking back and forth all the time. The Penn 109 made it easy to use my thumb for the drag too. I don't know if any other reel has that feature.

Price is a consideration but not the only one. I want to be able to fish from the downriggers and I also do some mooching and jigging. All in saltwater although I hear the same setup can also be used for sturgen, which I would like to try.

I know there is a lot of experience here on the board so any suggestions are appreciated.

#145935 - 03/19/02 06:58 PM Re: What's a good downrigger rod and reel?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I've had good luck with the Shimano Triton set up. Get a light or medium with the Triton reel. Can't go wrong.

#145936 - 03/19/02 07:11 PM Re: What's a good downrigger rod and reel?
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I've been usuing Shimano's TDR rods, they come in 6 styles from 7 9,6" long. These rods are durable and good priced $27-$38 With the pounding a downrigger rod takes, I don't see spending alot of cash for a big name when these work well for me. As for a reel I use Shimano's Charter special (I think I pay about $100 to $125 ) or the TR 200 ($65 to $80 ). I hope this helps, Good luck!!!

#145937 - 03/19/02 07:38 PM Re: What's a good downrigger rod and reel?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Any quality fiberglass rod would probably do the trick for you. Personally, I like to use the lightest ones possible. I usually don't drag around a full size hotspot, and it lets the fish fight a little harder. I don't think they make the 109 any more. Too bad, I love the two I have. Both are left-hand retrieve which is tough to find with the bigger Penn's and the Shimano saltwater reels.

#145939 - 03/19/02 10:08 PM Re: What's a good downrigger rod and reel?
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Give me Shimano,or give me death!

#145940 - 03/19/02 11:36 PM Re: What's a good downrigger rod and reel?
5000D Offline
Parr

Loc: South Jetty
Dear Woodinville Bill, Being an old moocher and a die hard direct drive man (hence my handle 5000D)I'll offer up some suggestions; As of last Summer, Penn quit making the 109. I think they still make the 10s? I still have several 109's w/ both steel and aluminum spools. The former are sprung. I simply have changed out parts to have a functional one for my new downrigger. John's in Everett can still rebuild yours if you want to keep it. They have stood the test of time. I would suggest a Shimano Bantam 50 converted to the direct drive option. John Jr. of Johns Sporting Goods of Everett sells these reels for about a $100 and will do the conversion. I have two, one of which I took to Knights Inlet, B.C in 1994 where I caught a 54# and 52# back to back mooching Blatts Bluff. I had these fish on for 1:45 minutes (combined time) in a direct drive mode mooching. I was using Siglon 15# test. The Shimano Bantam 50 did the job. I still use it mooching and now w/my new downrigger. It's been eight years of hard use for both these reels and they haven't been back into John's for a single repair. Now as for my two 5000D's, well that's a different story. Good luck in your hunt for a reel. I can't offer up anything regarding a good rod. I have 'em all but prefer my old G-Loomis and new Lamniglass 9'6" 's.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, steely slammer), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |