Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146000 - 03/20/02 12:34 AM I'm stuck
Kahuna Tuna Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Shoreline, Wa. U.S.A.
Anybody got a safe remedy for a frozen ferrule? I've got a Loomis IM6 rod that is stuck together at the ferrule and can't seem to pull it apart. I've already tried the behind the knees method to no avail and I'm afraid to use any lubricant like WD-40 or penetrating oil because of leaving any unwanted residue.

#146001 - 03/20/02 12:54 AM Re: I'm stuck
Coot22 Offline
Alevin

Loc: P-Town, OR
I am assuming that by frozen you mean stuck. Graphite expands and contracts with changes in temperature. Either run it under cold water or find some other way to cool it down where it breaks apart. That should do the trick!

-Coot

#146002 - 03/20/02 01:40 AM Re: I'm stuck
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey C'22, are ya still out at the north FMS? If so I'll try looking you up out there and do my next spree out there during springer season. Probably no commission though, ay?

The cold water deal is what Ryan (Petzold, from Ted's Tackle) said to do. I thought he was kidding around until I see you post the same thing. Good to know, because I have a tendancy to put the sections together too firmly and I don't want to be rippin on 'em too much; even with a bit of lub on there. Thanks. - RT

#146003 - 03/20/02 02:24 AM Re: I'm stuck
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
One thing I do w/my two piece rods is to rub a little parrifin wax on the male end of the ferrule. This lubes, and prevents loosening of the two pieces. Never tried the cold water thing though when the two pieces were stuck.

Aaron

#146004 - 03/20/02 11:52 AM Re: I'm stuck
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
Warm the female(butt)section at the ferrule with a hairdryer...heat causes expansion and will allow it to come free.
(I can already hear Beavis and Butthead giggling in the background)

#146005 - 03/20/02 01:29 PM Re: I'm stuck
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Doesn't help you now, but here's a little "McGyver" trick you can do next time you put your rod together.

Take the male end of the rod and rub it in the crease that is formed between your nose and your cheek/face. Spin the rod 360 degrees so that it's entirely coated in that nose oil. No, Beavis, I did not say stick the rod *up* your nose!!!!

No, I'm not kidding.

As we all remember from those acne days of high school, a *lot* of natural oils form in that crease on your nose. A little bit of that on your rod and VOILA, it will come apart every time.

A trick my old Grandpappy taught me while fly fishing in Eastern Oregon as a wee one. That was back in the day when they used to glue a piece of carpet to the soles of their hip waders. Gee, funny how every single wading boot has felt on them now. Trust my old Grandpappy, he won't let you down.

#146006 - 03/20/02 01:49 PM Re: I'm stuck
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Parker,

Good Mcgyver advice. I would imagine that originated in the days when ferrules were steel. Nose oil should prevent rust. I don't doubt it's effectivness on graphite. I think I'll just stick to parrifin for now though. laugh

Aaron

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1031 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |