Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146335 - 03/24/02 12:45 AM Ongoing Rod Debate
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
This is not a debate of what the best rod is, but more of a question about which rod to buy. I have been looking for quite some time, and have narrowed the choices down quite a bit. This rod will be mainly a drift fishing rod for steelhead and salmon, but might be used for some bobber fishing. I have decided on a rod similiar to a 1025C. Biggest question is should I get this rod in an 8'6" or 9'. It is kind of a toss up, so I'd like to have more opinions. I'd also like to keep price under $200. That means no gloomis imx, but probably an rainshadow or st. croix. So, guys, let's hear the opinions...

Matt

#146336 - 03/24/02 01:00 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
eggs Offline
Smolt

Loc: washington
THE 1025 IS AN OUTSTANDING ROD, IF YOU GO 9' I WOULD GO WITH THE 1084, ST CROIX MAKES GREAT RODS, BUT FOR A TWO PEACE SALMON AND STEELHEAD ROD I WOULD STICK WITH RAINSHADOW.

#146337 - 03/24/02 01:02 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
If you want a less (than Loomis) expensive rod, check out Lamiglas as well. I have few Lamis that I like. By the way we were due for a Loomi vs. Lami vs. ... thread wink

#146338 - 03/24/02 01:54 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
I'd go with the 9' I have never wished I had a shorter rod but I have wished I had a longer one.
Talk to rc I built him a 1084 Rainshadow maybe he can tell you how it fishes.

#146339 - 03/24/02 03:34 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
I have a 8'6 lamiglas cert. pro 8-17lb test works great for most anything i want to fish for in rivers, kings, coho, caught my first steelhead on it too.. i believe it was about 130 at sportco

#146340 - 03/24/02 03:42 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Anonymous
Unregistered

OWTH hey check out an allstar....best value on the market. I can hear it now but.....ack out of here.

#146341 - 03/24/02 03:57 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
I picked up a 8-6 lamiglas casting 15-25 for 79$ at walmart, and a all star bass flippen stick 6-6 casting rod for 11 $. but that lami is a hell nice rod. there probly more of them at the port orchard walmart. Ben

#146342 - 03/24/02 12:50 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
GL3 1263C AWESOME spend the $$$$$$ you will not regrett it. cool cool cool

#146343 - 03/24/02 02:56 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
if you want a 1025 for under 2 bills buy a 1025 GL2, great all around rod

#146344 - 03/24/02 09:44 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Unless you are on a small river (where you don't need a really long float rod) you should keep your float rod seperate from your drift rod. You should buy a Rainshadow 1025 and a Rainshadow 1263. Then just pack both rods with you and you are rigged up with 2 different rigs.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#146345 - 03/24/02 10:59 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
Read below and you'll find all that you need to know! laugh
Tyler

#146346 - 03/25/02 12:20 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

I was thinking St. Croix or Rainshadow because of the sensitivity... I've been told they equal a gl3-gl4. I've also been told the gl2 just doesn't have the sensitivity... I know I can get any of these for under $200.

Rainshadow:
8'6" 1025C
Med-Heavy
Fast Action
8-17 lb. 3/8-1oz

9' 1084C
Medium
Fast Action
8-12 lb. 3/8-3/4oz

St. Croix:
Med-Heavy
Fast Action
8-17 lb. 3/8-1 1/4oz
9' AVID/AC90MHF2

If I go 9', it would probably be the St. Croix because of the line rating and lure weight meaning extra power. If I hook a big chinook, I'd like the power... Any more thoughts? Any other rods I should consider? Thanks for the help so far.

Matt

#146347 - 03/25/02 12:30 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
Rip, they stopped saying that now.....wonder why?

#146348 - 03/25/02 01:32 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Big Sven Larson Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: stanwood
Check out the Lamiglas certified pro series
X 86 LC-T if you want light action.
X 86 MCT med action with ex-fast tip.
They only make a 9'in heavy action, if you plan on using bobers or floats alot go to a 9'6" or 10'you'll want the extra length for keeping the slack out of your line.I have the 9'6" med action
nice rod paid 150 for it no complaints.

#146349 - 03/25/02 01:54 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Most Likely I should not even be posting this,
But you would be krazy to not go with a Rainshadow or an Allstar.
Best rods for the money spent hands down!!!
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#146350 - 03/25/02 02:06 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Anonymous
Unregistered

and there speaks Uncle Joe...listen to him. I got the Allstars and may be going for some rainshadow custom rods. Got several Lamis...nice rods but not a favorite anymore...the cheapest aren't as good as the allstars. Loomis?...are ya going to get support if ya bust one? St. Croix...nice but I've seen spline problems. In that price range theres too much overlap in qualities...flip a coin.

#146351 - 03/25/02 06:36 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hook and rod debates on here lately. I'll add my 2 cents worth.

Hooks:

I haven't even read the recent Vision hook threads. But I was told of some complaints about certain batches by some guys and others saying they've never had problems with them. The swivels were said to be great. Joe knows I tell it like I see it, and usually appreciates it. Anyway, I've used a lot of Vision hooks and never broke any of them. I have found a few in a large box of them that were not needle sharp, but those are in the small minority and easily sharpened - making them a good value for the price. As for the many Vision swivels I've used I broke 2 of their snapswivels at the flap catch. But they were really small size 12's that I got for summer steelie's in low water. I broke 1 on a large silver in medium water flow and 1 on a snag. I think the 12 lb. leaders should have broken first; but I also should have used size 10 or 8's in those conditions; and I've never had a prob with those bigger Vision swivels. As for other brand hooks in the last few months, I have broken 1 Gamigatsu 3/0 at the bend while fighting a fall chinook (usually use 4/0 or 5/0, but it shouldn't have broken), and I bent out 1 mustad that cost me a flotilla fish at the net without pulling overly hard on it. No hook failures with Owners or Visions (or the few Eagle Laser sharps I had left and used). The best hook in my opinion is unquestionably the Owner hooks - they are great, but expensive.

Rods:

I agree with Joe about the Rainshadow and All Star Elite rods. The blanks are really consistently well built and have a very sensative high modulous - better than the Loomis GL2's or like priced Lami's, and in the ball park with the GL3's. If you spend a little more than the factory Lamiglass and All Star rods you can get the great Rainshadow blanks excellently custom built by TH Custom Rods. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd recommend the Lami Titanium rod or the Loomis GL3 over their IMX - you'd have a hard time recognizing a sensativity difference, but the GL3's are more durable than the mega priced HMX's. ... The last 6 rods I've bought are 2 All Stars, 1 Buzz Ramsey IM7 new 'Lightning' version, and 3 TH Customs with Rainshadow blanks. The last 2 were the recent TH custom sized 9'6" rated for 8 to 17 lb. line - 1 casting and 1 spinning. I got them to use for mid-Feb. to mid-April large nate C&R fishing, May/June combo of spring 'nooks and summer steelies when in a river at the same time, and likewise when the fall salmon and winter steelies overlap for a few weeks. If I had to choose one all-around river rod, these would be it! Light and sensative enough for low water steelheading, yet plenty strong to land large Kings using 15 lb. UG leader. They are a bit light for backbouncing much weight or for fighting large 'nooks in in places such as snaggy Tillamook tidewater. Just like the modern chemcially sharpened hooks, the rods today are a big improvement in recent years - IMHO.

RT - Ooops, rambled out 3 cents worth again. laugh

#146352 - 03/25/02 06:42 AM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
steelheadwayne Offline
Alevin

Loc: owen sound, ontario
for floatfishing i personally use long rods from 13' to 15' but i guess your not looking for that. just my 2 cents........

tight lines......wayne........

#146353 - 03/27/02 05:01 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Well, I could always use that extra cent! wink

I know this decision has been a tough one so far, and will continue to be hard. In the end, no matter if I go 8'6" or 9', I should be happy with my choice.
Since I don't plan on putting in an order for some time, what do you think about the "new" 57 million module rainshadow blanks. I've heard they're suppose to be great based upon the number, but I don't think anyone has ever tested them. The last I heard they were coming out in June, and a custom would be worth about $210? Should I consider these as well?

As it was stated, it is a toss up, and that's why I'm looking for opinions.

Matt

#146354 - 03/27/02 05:40 PM Re: Ongoing Rod Debate
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Gee RT we agree on the Owners.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |