Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146707 - 03/26/02 02:01 AM Blue Herring
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Hey, anybody out there have the recipe for Blue Herring? I thought it used Mrs. Stewart's Laundry Bluing, salt, and water in some combination, but I tried that this weekend and it didn't make things very blue except my hands and the boat when I dripped some on it - the herring looked just the same. Thanks in advance laugh

#146708 - 03/26/02 02:23 AM Re: Blue Herring
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
Tried some of the recipes found on the boards last September and had much the same experience you did.

Have the herring shown up at Westport again?

#146709 - 03/26/02 11:22 AM Re: Blue Herring
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Try ProCure bait brite, it's a baitfish dye. I use 4-5 drops in a quart of water and it works great. The reason for adding blueing to your baits is to add shine and flash. It doesn't physically turn your bait blue,and it will stain anything it contacts, it is after all a dye.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#146710 - 03/26/02 11:25 AM Re: Blue Herring
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Blue food coloring?Hearring are pretty oily fish could be tough.You might try hard brining for a couple of hours to suck some of the moisture out before dyng.The hearring will freshen in the dye?

#146711 - 03/26/02 11:41 AM Re: Blue Herring
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
This is my solution for green.. (blue should work as well- though I never have tried it)

Definitely go for the hard brine. Add powered milk to the brine which will help set the scales. Then add food coloring. Keep the bait in the brine and cool for a couple weeks. As long you keep the bait cold, they will last a long time...

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#146712 - 03/26/02 11:56 AM Re: Blue Herring
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
The way I have always done it is to grab a little rock salt,food coloring (green) and water. Not to much salt and enough food coloring to color the water pretty good. Throw the bait in the night before and ready to go in the am. You can also add scent to this

#146713 - 03/26/02 12:31 PM Re: Blue Herring
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
KingofBableon was out there(Westport) saterday and caught a few herring and talked to some one that filled half a bucket on friday.

#146714 - 03/26/02 10:17 PM Re: Blue Herring
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
this is the herring cure i got from a fellow board member who was nice enough to share his formula.i used it last year and had great success with it: 1/2 Lb. rock salt, One Lg bottle blue food coloring, one gallon water, and one bottle anise oil.... Not anise scented, or imitation anise oil.... It has to be the real thing. Mix everything up together, put a bunch of herring into the mix, and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 24 hrs. before you use it. It turns the herring a bright blue color, and everything on the boat will reak like licorice, but I promise that if you give it a try, you'll catch springers. Good Luck.scott

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |