Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147391 - 03/31/02 11:48 PM Kwikfish hooks
fishingtoo Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Fished with a guide out of Cathlamet Friday. We had at least a dozen hits on kwikfish, with only two getting into the boat (two other fish landed on trolled herring). No fish lost ruing sustained fight, just not hooking up to begin with (yes, we were waiting for the full take down & run out before trying to set hook). Guide was using factory treble hooks, & was sharpening them. I asked him to rig up with siwash hooks but he did not believe in them. So trying previous advise gained from Silver Hilton on this BB, I switched my own kwikies SAt & Sun to 3-0 siwash attached to the split ring with a barrel swivel.
(SH actually recommended eliminating the split ring entirely & attach barrel swivel to lure eyes after prying them open but I got lazy as felt was achiving the same basic strategy)
Hook-up percentages increased dramatically after doing this & other boats near me who also were using siwash instead of treble hooks were also having high % success with them. Thanks again Silver Hilton for the good advice!
The guide gave defintly put us on the fish, we were getting many more hits/take downs than most, but we would have more fish in the freezer if he were willing to change hook styles.

#147392 - 04/01/02 12:25 AM Re: Kwikfish hooks
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Sweetness. Glad I could be of some help. Did you offset the points?

#147393 - 04/01/02 11:45 AM Re: Kwikfish hooks
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
I've read about siwash on Kwikfish before but can't remember exactly how to set the hooks up. Do you use a bead chain on the front hook? On a K15 does it matter whether you use a 3/0 or 4/0?

I love siwash and use them on all my spinners so I can trail a prawn or a herring strip. Just wish the manufacturers would sell them all that way.

#147394 - 04/01/02 12:01 PM Re: Kwikfish hooks
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Check the Kwikfish thread here http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008461

It's currently back on page four. Lot's of good discussion on hooks

#147395 - 04/01/02 02:27 PM Re: Kwikfish hooks
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
RT has been advocating removing the factory hooks and replacing them with one treble hook off a four bead chain to the belly screw. He advises using a foam floatant to keep the hook "in the zone"

#147396 - 04/01/02 02:31 PM Re: Kwikfish hooks
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
I've been useing 4/0 gammi's or owener hooks on a
4 bead swivel chain on the middle and opening the eye and putting a swivel and snap ring with a 4/0 hook on the tail.I've never lost a fish with this setup.The reason I'm useing the hooks I do instead of Siwash is their already bent and mostly just because thats what I use and I've NEVER lost a fish. smile
Bob

#147397 - 04/01/02 08:35 PM Re: Kwikfish hooks
fishingtoo Offline
Juvenille at Sea

There is obviously more than one way to skin this subject. My two cents is that the important parts are: first, replace the trebles with siwash hooks, and second, use a swivel so siwash will balance out & fish doesn't have leverage against the plug. Other variations i.e. 3-0 vs 4-0, bead chain vs barrel swivel, bent out siwash vs straight siwash...all problably matter insignificantly compared to changing the hooks out to begin with. MHO

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |