THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147627 - 04/02/02 09:46 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
thefishnfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: Mt. Vernon
I would have to agree that the number 1 offering of choice for any water condition and time of the year would have to be a SMALL cluster of eggs. And a really close second and probably more effective on nates is a 2/5 oz. hammered brass mor-tac spoon. Next for nates would be the pink worm drift fished or under a bobber.
Tim

#147628 - 04/02/02 09:59 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
everyones talking about "drift rods" "Jigs rods" whats the difference?

#147629 - 04/02/02 10:03 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I've found nates to be more than willing to take just a plain ol' 1/8 oz. marabou jig. I always have worms and bait along as part of the arsenal, but I rarely feel the need to switch from the float-n-jig.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#147630 - 04/02/02 10:40 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
90% flies
5% yarn drift rigs
5% spoons and plugs

#147631 - 04/02/02 10:52 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
By far most of my fish are caught using a combination of a white feather jig with a 3" section of pink worm threaded onto the jig. Plain jigs are next in line with straight bait bringing up the rear.

Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#147632 - 04/02/02 10:55 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
All of the above.... Just depends on the time of year, water conditions , boat or bank fishing, etc.. I would say that there was bait around before all the other stuff, and all the other stuff is meant to imitate bait, so which came first.....the chicken or the egg laugh confused laugh ??????
John

#147633 - 04/02/02 10:56 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
T-bone Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
Sand shrimp have always worked best for me followed by eggs and then just a plain old corkey and yarn. Have caught a few on spinners as well. Can't say as that I've had much luck on the pink worm yet.

#147634 - 04/02/02 11:56 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
The bulk of my fish are caught on jigs, either tipped with bait or without bait. I've found that sometimes the fish prefer the jig without bait and sometimes with bait. The remainder of my fish are caught on pink worms, bait, plugs and spinners in that order. I bank fish 95% of the time even though I own a drift boat because I prefer half days on the water and I love to get out and hike the river.

#147635 - 04/03/02 12:01 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
tommo41 Offline
Fry

Loc: yakima, wa usa
I seem to be in the minority here.

Where I fish I outfish most people using dark red cured shrimp under a bobber.

I fish a few Eastside rivers with these shrimp and do just fine.

cool

#147636 - 04/03/02 12:13 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
1) Corky & yarn with a couple drops of shrimp oil
2) Corky & tiger prawn
3) Prawn/shrimp under a float
4) Eggs
5) plugs

#147637 - 04/03/02 12:18 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
1.Eggs
2.Sandshrimp
3.Yarn,corkes,arofly,to float bait and add colour
I have caught fish on jigs, soft plastics and flies.
smile smile I like fresh bait BEST. smile smile

#147638 - 04/03/02 01:52 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Flasher Offline
Alevin

Loc: Milwaukie, Oregon
since I've tried just about everything. I'll let you know when I finally catch my first steelhead.

just my luck I guess.
See ya on the river!

#147639 - 04/03/02 03:31 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Bait used with yarn, orange then pink, red, yellow, green, white, multi-colored rags work in heavy flows
1. Sandshrimp, fresh, cured falls off
2. Eggs, boraxed work better than other cures for me
3. Crawdad tail meat, fresh, a summer bait
4. Summerun eggs with crawdad meat sandwich
5. Prawns, cooked work better than uncooked
No yarn
6. Nightcrawlers
7. Plugs with scent
No sucess with the following even though I carry them and use them sometimes
8. Pink worm
9. Jigs (have tried with shrimp or prawn)
10. Spinners
11. Spoons

#147640 - 04/03/02 12:59 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
BAIT, any other questions!!!!
Keith laugh

#147641 - 04/03/02 01:49 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Flasher:

I'm a Milwaukie cracker, too. If I can do it, anyone can. Between the Clack and the Sandy we've got two good rivers to fish.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#147642 - 04/03/02 03:55 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Wes Offline
Alevin

Loc: Clackamas, Oregon
Yes, you catch fish with what you are using. However, I believe RIVER CONDITIONS dictate what you use. Last year, when water was low, slow and clear, I used jigs with shrimp tails under a bobber with good success. This year, with higher conditions, more flow and color, drift fishing with eggs or shrimp.

I bring two rods and use bait or bobber/jig depending on the stretch of river in front of me. Sometimes pink worm and spinners for pocket water. Good fishing, Wes.

#147643 - 04/03/02 07:19 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Winter runs:
hatchery: 90% on eggs, 5% on jigs, 5% on worms
natives: plugs 50%, corkies 25%, hardware 10%, worms 5%, jigs 5%, flies 5%

Summer runs:
hatchery and native: 50% on eggs, 50% on hardware, random fish or two on flies.

Those numbers pretty much reflect how much I use each method, so I'm pretty sure how you use your gear is much more important than what you use, so long as you are using something that is suitable for the type of fish and conditions you are faced with.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#147644 - 04/03/02 10:45 PM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
You can only catch fish in a traditional manner. Heron spey hackle, seal or polar bear dubbing swing the fly on a greased line. No other method is acceptable. But, some led eyes and a Powerbait wiggle tail under an "indicator" sometimes helps!!! :p :p

#147645 - 04/04/02 12:18 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I've never fished bait for steelhead. I've thrown eggs and shrimp for salmon, but I prefer the ease, versitility and speed of lures. I'd have to rate jigs ahead of pink worms. I've had a few large fish take a jig after refusing the worm. I think spinners are unbeatable for summer-runs and flies are effective if conditions are right.

#147646 - 04/04/02 01:43 AM Re: POLL: Which do you catch more steelhead on - bait, pink worms, or jigs?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Straight up bait mother****ers, 200 plus steelhead to the boat this year can't be wrong!!
Nothin like a chunk of uncle Joe's eggs
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |