Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149950 - 04/21/02 12:09 PM Killing Seals and Sea Lions
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Of all the people on the board, who would be in favor of ridding our waters of these fish eating animals?? Has anyone personally had one steal a springer chinook that you had hooked??
Keith laugh

#149951 - 04/21/02 01:04 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Yep, lost a small chinook at the mouth of the Lewis to a sea lion a couple of years ago. Man can they swim fast. I barely was able to break the 20 pound line as my reel emptied in a hurry. I'd favor thinning them out, but it ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#149952 - 04/21/02 01:26 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Woodsy Wayne Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: everett
stlhdr1
In relation to your post, I had a battle with a seal, this last blackmouth season. I was on a guided trip(not too cheap). I brought a friend as a gift, and they had never caught a salmon.
Well my friend did hook into a nice little 12#BM.
Now we were into the bait, and the poles started lighting up! I hooked into a nice fish, only to see a seal grab onto it. The skipper did not want to lose his precious dodger, so we chased the seal for 30 plus minutes(my arms were jello).
Another guy on the boat, who wanted to chase a seal, got his wish as well.(another 30 plus minutes) Anyhow to the point!!
The seals and sea lions are becoming ALOT!! more agressive every year, so something has to be done, (seal bombs barely phased this group).So I for one without getting into a war with somebody agree with somehow, reducing the population!!
I am a native to the area, and I know it is getting worse.I will leave the guides name anonymous, so don't ask!! (320.00 for a seal chasing trip!) It has since been talked about, and he is a nice guy, so it is not an attack on this guide.

Woodsy Wayne

#149953 - 04/21/02 03:16 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
Keith, hooked hell,sealion tore it clean off a 3' bleedin rope on the 5th of April this year.They have balls came between us and an other boat anchored 5' away in a hogline below Rainier.....kill'em all... wink .. ..ok thin em out.............
At Astoria I'm 1 for 2, did get a 17# chinook away from a seal, tail was roughted up a little, then lost a big nook to a sealion under the bridge, a couple years ago.

#149954 - 04/21/02 04:31 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
the indians have permits to shoot them. they shoot lots of sea lions.

#149955 - 04/21/02 04:44 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
Keith I was with a friend at the mouth of the Lewis a number of years ago when the fishing was hot we had 3 nice springers in the boat.We were trying for that limit fish when my friend hooks a nice fish on the maker line and all of a sudden a big bull sealion grabs his fish so I told him to do circles on top of him to force him to let it go, after a few seconds he lets go, in all the confusion my friends line gets wrapped around the tip of his rod so he cant gain any line, so he cranks up the motor and heads for the beach at full speed.He shut the motor down just before we hit the beach he jumps out of the boat and just start to run up the beach just then I looked back to see the fish making a wake,them MR SEALION grabs it again and snap gos his line.I still give him a bad time about trolling for sealions.I have been duck hunting in a delta area of PS and heard a large amount of large rifle rounds being spent a while later the fog lifted and there were a bunch of seals and sealions dead on the beach.I found out later that the tribe had done it !!!!! I wish there was a market for there meat then they could harvest them and make money and save a lot of fish at the same time. confused

#149956 - 04/21/02 09:23 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Did you thank the Indians. rolleyes

#149957 - 04/21/02 09:53 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Man I need some more indian friends....
Keith laugh

#149958 - 04/21/02 10:31 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
BEAT THE *******S

#149959 - 04/21/02 10:48 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Crusty Offline
Egg

Loc: Estacada, OR
Didn't have many lions or harbor seals in the sound when I was a kid. It seemed like every fisherman out there had a gun of some kind. At day break you'd hear a shot or three. No one talked about it much, but a lot of dead ones sure washed up on the beaches. Never heard of any accidents either - Now THAT'S gun control. smile

Crusty

#149960 - 04/21/02 10:51 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
Indians anrn't the only ones who shoot sea lion. Commercial fishermen will do it when they can get away with it....Hell, I've even got a coupl of confirmed kills. I'll shoot them every chance I get.

#149961 - 04/22/02 01:25 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
I wonder if I could hire a Indian guide to take me seal/sealion hunting? Mabe start a new $$$$ stream for the Tribes. eek rolleyes eek rolleyes mad

#149962 - 04/22/02 08:53 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Jerry Garcia Offline

If it came down to who or what has a right to fish I would have to give the mammals that live in the sea the right ahead of our own selfish wants. Sea lions and such need fish to survive, we don't.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#149963 - 04/22/02 09:53 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
We don't need to kill them all, just thin them out. wink In the south end of Hood Canal they don't have any natural preditors. Something needs to be done!!

Crusty how have you been??

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#149964 - 04/22/02 11:12 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
There's a lot of cracker anglers out there. Should we be thinning them out, too?

A couple of rifle cracks before dawn and you've got the hole to yourself. It's not until the bodies wash up somewhere downstream that people notice. They would have wasted the fish they caught anyway.

#149965 - 04/22/02 11:28 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i am in no way gonna be upset if anyone out there shoots seals or sealions, especially the sealions, i have jus recently schemed up a idea, i am thinking of purchasing a gun that breaks down and get a silencer tapped onto it jus to do some sealion fishin, any buddy out there think that is to extreme??? like i said its jus a idea rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

#149966 - 04/22/02 01:50 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
A few years back when I was fishing for kings we seen a seal come swimming up the river he was only about five or six miles from the salt but that really puts a hamper on the fishen. I think you can still get seal bombs out on the reservations laugh or a dupont spinner will do just fine too eek
And at the end of hood canal them animals have no preditors because of the Navel Base (Banger) it keeps all of the orca's (Killer Whales) out and those buggers are the seals and sea lions only natural preditors.
Dances Out

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#149967 - 04/22/02 03:43 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Jerry Garcia Offline

Most of the time if you didn't have that fish hooked and partially played out, the seal couldn't catch it.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#149968 - 04/22/02 05:32 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I've seen seals up the Snohomish as far as the city on Snohomish. They were after our steelhead.

#149969 - 04/22/02 05:40 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
jr5142 Offline
Fry

Loc: Mount Vernon WA
who caught the first fish, the sealion or the cracker? If you pick up on a chick that i like does that give a reason to pop a slug or two in you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |