Loc: everett
Old Man..... Our Steelhead?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#149971 - 04/22/02 06:24 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
I just want to make sure I have assembled all of the information here...

Kill the sea lions and seals cuz' they kill fish, kill the Orcas cuz they kill fish, shoot the cormorants and gut the squawfish cuz they kill fish...where does this logic end?? If you follow it through to the top of the food chain you wind up with "Kill fishermen".

Or do you we stop short of carrying it through to its logical conclusion? If so why? This is ludicrous in my opinion. The tribes kill an awful lot of fish in their nets, would you have us shoot them? Why not? How about "because it isn't right, legal or fair". To even suggest it would have you facing felonious charges.

This weekend at the new restaurant in La Push a man was seen firing his rifle at the seals and sealions in the bay. Guess what, it's a felony and you will face Federal charges if caught. When caught he tried to hide behind tribal protection claiming native hunting rights. He is in jail now with the rest of the criminals. It doesn't matter who you are, where you are or why you are doing it, killing sea-lions is a felony and admitting it in a public forum such as this is well...not smart.

#149972 - 04/22/02 08:07 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
For those of you that didn't get to fish the Cedar and the slue you may not have the same dislike for seals/sealions that some of us have I have watched a sealion eat 12 steelhead in less than 45 mins at the locks,I have watched the decline of the hoods canal fishery.Seals/sealions have no natral predators left in our inland waters.If things were in ballnce this thread would'nt be here frown

#149973 - 04/22/02 10:52 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
The balance has to come from somewhere? confused

#149974 - 04/22/02 11:02 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
This May sound a bit far fetched but I have seen a few seals out at Hoodsport hatchery and the little *******s Catch some hens Bite of a peice of the neck and suck out the eggs and leave the rest of the fish.

So with no natural preditors to help keep the population in check we should just let them grow till they take up everyones docks and are destroying fishermans boats and nets.

If you kill a seal or sea lion while running your boat in the salt or up a river for that matter and it messes up your boat then what do you do?

So what happens when the food supply runs out for the seals and sea lions and they start to move to different sources of food? Or they start to die off and end up all over our beaches? some thing needs to be done to thin out the populations of seal and sea lions. Not mass extention but at least some thinning
Dances Out

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#149975 - 04/23/02 12:05 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
jnewcs Offline
Parr

Loc: FISHLESS DENVER, CO
Can you beleave the nerve of the seals. I mean ****, just cause someone comes in your house and disturbs your way of life you think you have a right to live the way nature ment for you to????

If someone came into my house and started farting around trying to get some food i'd be like go head pay no attention to the fact that this is my house.

(I know because where im from I have no room to talk but since its the US I'll throw in my 2cents)

#149976 - 04/23/02 01:15 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
JN
We screw with every thing else in this world why not with the sea lions and seals?
Dances Out

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#149977 - 04/23/02 02:06 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Unreal H20-
I can't even beleive I'm reading what you write, you want everything to balance out but pussyfoot around the real facts... Is it really going to hurt if a few 1000 seals and sea lions are killed. I know it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I wish we could all get together and get a hunting season on these worthless animals, I'd agree to eat some if someone else would... :p Dad always taught me to eat what I kill, hell I'd try it... wink
Keith laugh

#149978 - 04/23/02 02:16 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Harvest a specie, destroy it's habitat, protect it's predators, we are just like mother nature. Damn mammals-too smart to starve to death.

#149979 - 04/23/02 09:39 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Geezuz, nothin' like a "my resource, your resource" argument to bring out the best in people. rolleyes

We put in dams, locks, and crappy ladders, then
b!tch because opportunistic critters are using them as dining establishments.

We poison the sea water with PCB's, then complain because there aren't any natural predators to thin out the sea lions.

We dump tens of thousands of hatchery fish into our rivers that incidentally ALL lead to the salt, which is the sea lion's natural habitat, then b!tch because they eat them. Hello, McFly!!!
They're hungry!!

In my dark, distant past, I've had sea lions take thousands of dollars out of my pocket in one day and never once thought I should shoot one, and there are people that post hero shots twice a week here that suggest there aren't enough fish for them to catch.

#149980 - 04/23/02 09:55 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
h2o Offline
Carcass

"Is it really going to hurt if a few 1000 seals and sea lions are killed. I know it wouldn't hurt my feelings."

Of course not, they are killing "your" fish...

Of course its not going to hurt your feelings, your not dead...

If a thousand sasquatches descended from the mountains and started seeking revenge on humans for exploiting "their" resource I'll bet you'd pat them on the back, damn humans keep stealing their fish...

#149981 - 04/23/02 10:56 AM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
jnewcs Offline
Parr

Loc: FISHLESS DENVER, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Skywalker:
[QB]Geezuz, nothin' like a "my resource, your resource" argument to bring out the best in people. rolleyes

We put in dams, locks, and crappy ladders, then
b!tch because opportunistic critters are using them as dining establishments.

We poison the sea water with PCB's, then complain because there aren't any natural predators to thin out the sea lions.

We dump tens of thousands of hatchery fish into our rivers that incidentally ALL lead to the salt, which is the sea lion's natural habitat, then b!tch because they eat them. Hello, McFly!!!
They're hungry!!
QB]
A-FREAK'in-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#149982 - 04/23/02 01:19 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Wishiniwasfishin Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens
You can cath them on the bouys going out in the morning. It is the coolest thing to see that 2413 arrow tipped with a 100 grain Thundrhead make a complete pass through on a big bull sea lion. The best part is no one hears a thing. Once in a while you can catch one on a log out in the middle of the bay. It is pretty fun trolling in trying not to spook them before you get a shot off!!! Great FUN....

#149983 - 04/23/02 01:32 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I once saw a Bald Eagle dive into the water and grab a nice bright fish. It struggled to get to the bank with it but I'll be damned if it didn't start to eat MY fish!

I for one would be the first to sign up should the state allow me to start blasting eagles out of the sky! Nothing prettier than seeing a plume of Eagle feathers drift slowly to the ground as the smell of gun powder fills the air! Worthless creatures!

#149984 - 04/23/02 01:37 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Hilo

Please tell me that I missed the point and you are kidding.

#149985 - 04/23/02 01:38 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn I can't sneak anything by anyone here!

#149986 - 04/23/02 01:44 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
h2o Offline
Carcass

Leadthrower -

He is cleverly asking the question what is the difference between these two mentalities, much like my sasquatch question, only more grounded in reality.

#149987 - 04/23/02 01:47 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
h2o Offline
Carcass

I hear seal tastes really good on a "cracker".

#149988 - 04/23/02 01:49 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Some of you guys are ABSOLUTE FOOLS! You are on a public forum bragging about killing sea lions, a species protected by the feds. So you lose a fish now and again, think how many fish you'll catch after they take your boat, hand over a huge fine and throw your dumb ass in jail. I dislike losing fish to them as much as anybody, but thats a huge risk to take by killing one.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#149989 - 04/23/02 02:05 PM Re: Killing Seals and Sea Lions
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
stlhdh2o, skywalker and HBP

Could not have said it better.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |