Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150855 - 05/03/02 01:33 AM Durability of breathable waders
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
I am in the market for a pair of breathable waders and I was wondering how well they hold up to make your own trail type of situations. Also any information on the quality of warranty service by companys would be helpful.

#150856 - 05/03/02 01:50 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
While initially hesitant about purchasing a pair for that very reason ... I'll have to say that my Simms Guide Models have far outlasted any pair of neoprenes that I've ever had.

Most others I've heard mixed reviews on in the boat ... make a point of asking about other products out there wink

Warranty service??? Never had to use it ... they were so hammered before they ever sprung a leak that I just retired them to boat use only (still fine for hopping in and out of the boat). Still using them today ... have a new pair for wade fishing now.

They are spendy, but I've always been a believer in the fact that you get what you pay for smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#150857 - 05/03/02 02:14 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I'm with Bob and ended up in the same boat so to speak.

After almost 2 years on my Simms Guide Weights, they had to be retired. Not because they fell apart or just gave in but because I tore them to shreads.

Anyone who has ever fished with me knows that I am as hard on waders as anyone. Trails???...HA...I raise my arms and start walking, no matter how dense the brush, how sharp the nettles.

I slide down steep banks on my arse all the time even if I am putting my waders through abuse they were not meant to withstand.

Just a couple weeks ago I finally had to send my Simms back to Montana to get them repaired.

They were in sorry shape-due to my own abuse-before the major leaks started but after the rigor they went through as I chased an oar down on the Upper Hoh, they finally gave in.

I was more then happy to get to the use out of them and am now on my second pair.

Another wader that is much talked about is the Dan Bailey made of Entrant. It is an excellent wader as well and I have many freinds that swear by them!!!

#150858 - 05/03/02 04:07 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
One more vote for the Simms. I've had mine for three years, probably have about 50 days fishing in them. Absolutely no - zip, zero, zilch leaks. That's better luck than I had with neoprenes.

I don't go out of my way to test their puncture resistance in blackberry thickets, but neither am I shy about going where I need to go. They've held up well, and I would recommend them without hesitation. But they are spendy.

If you want comments on a broad variety of breathables, suggest you check out the BB at www.virtualflyshop.com, and look in the archives there. Probably every brand under the sun has been discussed there.

A friend of mine has LL Bean's version, and likes those.

#150859 - 05/03/02 04:23 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i just got my pair of cabelas dry plus gold medal breatheables 2 days ago tried them on the lake yesterday kept me warm, easier to move in than neoprenes, good waders. something like 5 layer knees and butt built in gravel gaurds, you can convert them to waist highs, neoprene feet and a waterproof and fleece pocket inside.

Tyler

#150860 - 05/03/02 11:52 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
IMO, In my experience of owning and using both I would have to recommend the Dan Bailey's. They are almost half the cost with the same durablity of the Simms Guide model plus the Bailey's include a no hassle warranty.

#150861 - 05/03/02 03:01 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
On the advise of fellow forumite Norm Nelson, I just ordered a pair of L.L. Bean Gore-Tex GQS waders. They have a lifetime warranty so I hope for good things from them.

#150862 - 05/03/02 03:59 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I can say one thing stay away from the fly-tech truely a piece of $hit...Bought mine a year ago and have sent them back twice for replacement because of seams leaking..

I have a few friends that have cabelas guide wear waders and love them..I don't know anyone with simms but it sounds to me by some of the people on here that do have them, they are good as well...TM

#150863 - 05/03/02 04:35 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

In years past, I've always been a hip boot and neoprene guy. Then, I saw the light and decided it was time to try breathables. Not knowing what I was in for, I bought cautiously the first time around( not spending a ton of $$$) and went with Cabelas dry-plusII breathable waders.

I must say they are the most comfortable waders I've ever worn but they did not hold up well. I always wear sweatpants under them. The interior material is chafffing and they outer material is wearing on the inside seams with leaks beginning to appear. All this after only 25 or so trips bank fishing. They weren't abused horribly either.

I'm also a believer in getting what you paid for but at $110 I thought they would have held up a LITTLE better. I learned my lesson and will spend the money next time.

#150864 - 05/03/02 05:12 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I coughed up a minor chunk of change for my Bailey's after my Fly Tech's started leaking quite a bit after two years.

A couple years later and I'm still very happy with the Bailey's.

Bruce

#150865 - 05/03/02 05:33 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I have the Redington's. I fish in them about 60 days a year, and have had to replace them about once a year due to leaks in the foot seams. Redington has an unconditional 4 year warranty, so my $170 investment will keep me dry for 4 years, save the 3 week wait for replacements. They're pretty tough and comfortable. I hear the best comments about Simm's, but they're twice the money with half the warranty. Check out the FlyfishAmerica web site. I think they had a good online article on breathables.

#150866 - 05/03/02 05:51 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
I think that Dan Bailey's is the best buy for the money. I am tall(6'7"), and need a extra long wader and Dan Bailey's XLL, fits me just fine. Never had a leak to date. They come with a life time warranty. I think I paid around $200 for mine. You should check them out. I bought mine at
Salmon Bay Tackle, here in Seattle. Good luck to you on your choice. wink

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#150867 - 05/03/02 06:39 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I'll throw another vote in for the Simms Guideweights. 3 years and still going strong. Big bucks? Yeah, but so far, worth every penny.

#150868 - 05/03/02 06:48 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Yep I'm tired of walking around in my 5mm Bares neoprenes during the hot summer months. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the Baileys.

My Bare neoprenes are boot foot and I love them. So stocking foot or boot foot for the breathable Baileys? Any experiences out there or helpfull words of wisdom?

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#150869 - 05/03/02 08:00 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

JLH I am also tall(6'8") its good to hear that they have waders that fit. My trouble has been finding waders with a large enough foot (size 15) do the baileys have a big foot or are they the usual size 13 on the biggest.

#150870 - 05/03/02 09:09 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Elquapo- I'm sorry to tell you but, Dan Bailey's Bootfoot and Stocking Foot wader only go to size 13. I am lucky because I can ware a size 12 Street shoe, and ware size 13 Stocking Foot which can accommodate a thick pair of wool socks. I ware
a size 14 wading shoe. Be sure to get a good shoe with good ankle support. Wading shoes is another subject that you can explore. Here is Dan Bailey website www.dan-bailey.com . Their Phone number is
1-800-356-4052. If I were you I would give them a call to see if they can help you. Good luck. smile

Bobber Down.. I have Stocking Foot because I like the snug fit and comfort that a wading shoe provides. The Bootfoot cost about $50 more than the Stocking Foot. Again ( www.dan-bailey.com )For any weather they are hard to beat. wink

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#150871 - 05/03/02 09:25 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
I'll throw another vote in for the Simms Guideweights. 3 years and still going strong. Big bucks? Yeah, but so far, worth every penny.
I'm with you 4S, add my vote for the Simms Guides. I've never had a pair of waders last an entire season without developing a leak before. I might have been a little more careful since I was wearing 4 bills, but I was dry and toasty all year this time.

There is no comparison between the breathables and neos......the breathables rule. They are light, comfy, and don't restrict your movement like neos do. Dress warm underneath, though, because they don't do much insulating.

We'll see how these Simms hold up......if they make it a few years I'll probably try them again. Otherwise I may have to give these Bailey's a look.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#150872 - 05/03/02 11:25 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Does any one know of a shop that sells the Bailey's waders in the south sound area.

#150873 - 05/04/02 02:52 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Wayne Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Roy, WA
My vote goes to Simms Guides too. Went through 4 pairs of "H" brand, each lasting about 6 months, and I'm going on one year with the Simms. Yep, slow learner, but I did finally learn.
Wayne

#150874 - 05/04/02 02:54 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Wayne Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Roy, WA
My vote goes to Simms Guides too. Went through 4 pairs of "H" brand, each lasting about 6 months, and I'm going on one year with the Simms. Yep, slow learner, but I did finally learn.
Wayne

#150875 - 05/04/02 11:30 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Where can you buy Simms waders?

#150876 - 05/05/02 12:18 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
I don't have the Simms guide waders but I do have the cheaper model Simms breahables and they are swweeeeet!!!! They are supposed to be "100 day waders" meaning that you should be able to get 100 fishing days in them before they leak. Ha! I have well over 200 fishing days in them and they only leaks were from ripping them on my boat storage latches and that was easily patched. No leaks in the feet, no leaks in them seams, and no more money on neoprenes for this kid! You can stay warmer than a flea on a bears ass in summer if you insulate with fleece and Waterworks pants underneath. Good luck with your new breathables as they are worth every penny and then some laugh

Ted's Sport Center in Lynnwood has a great selection of Simms waders and all the Simms clothing you could ever want. See link at the top of the page for Ted's location and store info.

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#150877 - 05/05/02 11:56 AM Re: Durability of breathable waders
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Without a doubt the Simm's guide model is the most comfortable wader I have worn. However if you do a "lot" of hiking I have found that they don't wear much better than some of the cheaper waders. After less than 40 days of use my pair's feet were shot, knee reinforcing, and inseams were all leaking. I send them back and Simms replaced the feet and the knee panel and fixed a number of pin holes; charge was $20 for the pin holes.

I had repaired the wear along the inseams 4 times with "aqua seal" beginning after about 25 days of use. On the whole the Simms guide model held up better than others that I have used; just not as long as hoped given the price and their reputation. Don't know of any brand of breathables that have adequate reinforcing along the inseams to protect from hiking wear (rubbing along the inseams). Would love to see someone to offer that type of upgrade really needed for someone like me who fishing mostly on foot and enjoys hiking and wading our streams.

Tight lines
Smalma

#150878 - 05/06/02 05:11 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
don't buy hodgmans they were cr#% that was my only experience and I wont buy another pair

#150879 - 05/06/02 08:35 PM Re: Durability of breathable waders
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Spend the money buy Simms.I have 4 years on mine,one of my buddies has 6 years on his. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cfinlip, Fishbait, gkohler
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 669 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |