LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151887 - 05/20/02 11:46 AM Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
I just recieved 2 pounds of cured eggs for steelhead and 2 pounds of cured eggs for salmon both in the red color. Have any of you had good luck using these eggs? The eggs for steelhead look good and are fairly firm and look like they would fish well. The cured eggs for salmon are still in the cure and are mushy and feel like they would fall off on the first cast. Is there a way to firm them up? Maybe take them out and let them sit in the open air for a couple of days? Or should I just tie em up and fish em that way? Any help would be great.
Thanks

#151888 - 05/20/02 12:30 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Just my opinion, but I don't like them. I have fished with people who had purchased them and wasn't impressed. Not something I'd spend my money on.

Personally, I'd tell you to save your money, but it's too late.

Take the eggs out of the package and place them on a bed of paper towels over night. If they are still too wet in the am, cut them up, and put them in borax just before you head out the door. They will fish fine (as fine as Amerman eggs get) by the time you hit the water.

#151889 - 05/20/02 01:19 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I just caught a couple springers on gooey Amerman eggs. I just cut them into bait size pieces and roll them in borax orange or natural the night before fishing. They work fine, and the theory is that the goo stink/chem trail is what salmon like.

#151890 - 05/20/02 01:41 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Mr. Parker,
If you don't care for Ammerman's eggs and you didn't have any eggs on hand for next weeks trip, whose prepared eggs would you recommend and why?? confused
That is my situation and I was all set to phone an order in today!! rolleyes

#151891 - 05/20/02 02:45 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Mister? On this board? That's a sign of respect or old age. Respect, yeah, right. wink

I'd probably consider a sand shrimp or cured prawns option.

Not saying Amerman's Eggs won't and don't catch fish. They did when I used them. Just having used them, I'd personally never buy them, regardless of my situation. I'd find something else to use, or find a different fishery that didn't require cured eggs.

Or, I'd just buy his fresh eggs and cure them with Bob's recipe:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/tips/eggs.htm

#151892 - 05/20/02 03:20 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
I ran out of my personal in March of 01 and fished Springers on the Duc with Ammerman eggs for the whole season. Ended up having one of my best seasons yet despite the low clear waters.
Im out after this last Friday on the Hoh so Im placing my order soon! Only caught males....

Havent tried them for Steelies...

Bob D

#151893 - 05/20/02 03:24 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Fish-n-finn Offline
Alevin

Loc: Hockinson, WA
I have only used Amerman eggs when I have gone on guided trips with him. I have always found them to catch fish.

#151894 - 05/20/02 04:00 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
I use them in my boat and get fish what more do you want. rolleyes

#151895 - 05/20/02 04:04 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
okieboy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rockport Wa
I dont know about you guys but eggs catch fish,I personally I think cures are overrated its all about the borax.

#151896 - 05/20/02 04:07 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
Although I haven't had to purchase eggs for over 20 years, if I were to buy cured eggs, Amermans eggs are the only eggs I would buy.
I do not mind fishing behind anybodys eggs, except Scott's as they consistantly catch fish.

#151897 - 05/20/02 05:22 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Very happy with Amerman's wet-cured eggs, and pretty happy with the boraxed product. All in all, I'd buy them again if I needed eggs.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#151898 - 05/20/02 07:29 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
i bought some of the salmon cure and found that it's hard to get them firm.. they only last for about 4-5 casts depending on how nice you are to them. But then i say this.. when using other eggs that are firmer how many times are you catching fish on the 10th or more cast... ive found not very often, most of the fish i catch have hit the eggs when they're fresh on the hook under 4-5 casts... and this goes for every cure i tried.... A+ for ammerman.

#151899 - 05/20/02 09:33 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'm looking for some large Chinook eggs. Does Amerman have Chinook eggs left? I still have some boraxed coho and steelhead eggs but am looking for some eggs that might entice a Chinook to bite. Are his salmon eggs Chinook eggs? Could always firm them up in borax.

#151900 - 05/20/02 11:14 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I think he gets his eggs from the hatcheries, so if you want fresh large eggs you have to wait until the plump hens are ready, unless he has some leftover from the last hatchery spawn.

Cures are definitely not overrated. Steelhead don't seem to care as much. They like what they see and they bite, but the right stink seems to make alot of difference to a chinook. At least that's my experience.

#151901 - 05/27/02 01:21 AM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
SeaMeantGuy Offline
Fry

Loc: localrivers&streams
I fished with some of these eggs today. Yes they were a little wetter than I like, but he's the pro, not me. Anyways, I fished 2 clusters all day for d/b maybe 3, and 2 clusters for sidedrifting.

I guess what I'm gettting at is they were durable today. I'm pretty picky about my egg clusters, and had no problems with these. In fact the ones that are still on the rods are still very, very red. I think if I was in another egg bind, I would buy them again.

No fish today, but the first day I fished them I landed one nook, and lost a steelie. Not bad for a few hours of testing. Probably fished them a total of 8 hours now, and will pack them up for the next trip without a doubt smile

#151902 - 05/29/02 12:18 AM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Chet Offline
Egg

Loc: Corvallis, OR
Ammerman eggs have worked for me on numerous occassions, and more importantly I have confidence they will work for me again when I need more! smile I don't think you will find better ready-cured eggs anywhere!

#151903 - 05/29/02 01:40 AM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
Thanks for all the replies!!!
I will be putting em to the test soon!

#151904 - 06/02/02 12:47 PM Re: Any luck with Amerman eggs?
Straydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Grants Pass, Or.
Chet from Corvallis....

You arent some pushy retired film peddler are you?????? laugh confused laugh eek

By the way, a lot of folks at Ifish feel that Ammerman eggs are the best out there.

I personally have never used them.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 924 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |