Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151963 - 05/21/02 03:14 AM Talkeetna's Clear Creek
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
...Planning to take the boatride up to Clear Creek in late June to fish for kings. Anyone done this? How's the fishing? What's the water like (big/small, fast/slow, flat, rocky? Does it get crowded? How does the drop off service work? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#151964 - 05/22/02 10:46 AM Re: Talkeetna's Clear Creek
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I've fished Clear Creek for Kings about 5 or 6 times.

The boat drops you off at the confluence of the Talkeetna and Clear Creek, amongst about 5 bazillion other anglers. Many people fish right there at the confluence, while others hike upstream a bit to get away from the crowds. I have done both, and seemed to catch more (and fresher) fish at the mouth. I think fish that are travelling farther upstream poke their nose in there for a rest.

I would rate the water size as "medium," at least at the mouth. One doesn't need to cast very far, and the drift is short (due to it being so crowded). It is pretty swift, though, and the fish get pretty big, so the hook-to-land ratio isn't all that good (but you can hook tons of fish, so don't fret). If you hike up the creek, the water is smallish. There are a few pools and holes where the fish really stack up, but it its clear and they are pretty spooky.

As far as tactics, your standard steelie/salmon fare will work fine. At the mouth, I usually go with just a single corkie and yarn. Standard leader length. Pencil lead. Many people will use spin n' glos there, but I don't recommend it. You'll be crossing over people's lines pretty regularly (its unavoidable, I don't care how careful you are) and spin n' glos are much harder to untangle. Farther up in Clear Creek, you can be more daring, but the water tends to be clearer and the fish spookier. Fly rods work great, if you can find a bit of space for yourself. I tend to use a lighter, more sensitive rod than most there, and I think I tend to hook up more. Of course, I don't land as high a percentage of them (but I don't care).

I recommend staying overnight, if possible. Its like a huge fishing party. The river closes at 11:00, so everybody just sort of mingles, cooks, drinks, plays guitar. Very cool. The river opens again at 6:00, and its a great spectacle. Everybody lined up, rods back, looking at their watches. Waiting to see who will be the brave soul to cast first. The first 30 minutes after the river open are usually frantic -- fish everywhere.

Your timing is pretty good. There should be fish a-plenty there by then, though I think the run peaks in early July. If you get tired of kings, put on some polarized glasses and scout Clear Creek itself for pods of sockeye and rainbows. There should be some sockeye around then, and there are always rainbows and grayling in the riffles (egg flies).

It is worth, it by the way. Hope this helps. Have fun! Wish I were going (I was planning on making the trip this year, but I think work will get in the way...stupid gainful employment...)

#151965 - 05/25/02 02:11 AM Re: Talkeetna's Clear Creek
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Thanks a lot 3/0.
I'll probably check it out next month.

Final questions:
Any bears and do you need a gun?
Is it more or less crowded than some of the other popular roadside Susitna streams?

#151966 - 05/27/02 02:07 PM Re: Talkeetna's Clear Creek
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
I fished the Talkeetna just below the mouth of Clear Cr. in early July about three years ago. Hooked many big red kings. The fish weren't fresh but boy!, fighters every one of them. Forget the gun, and those little bites you feel on your line aren't smolts, their big kings! Set the hook fast as you can when you feel those little bites.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#151967 - 05/27/02 10:01 PM Re: Talkeetna's Clear Creek
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
There are always bears, but you don't need a gun. They keep their distance.

I would say it a bit less crowded than the roadside Susitna streams, but not by much.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1334 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |