Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153719 - 06/19/02 11:52 AM San Juan Islands
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bremerton,WA
Hey all,
I am heading out to the San Juan Islands for my first time and was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of.... ie) rougher waters, bad rip areas, etc. I have a 16 ft duck boat (pretty flat) and want to do some fishing over in the San Juans on the fourth of July. Also if anyone would not mind giving me some pointers on where to fish it would be appreciated...
Or if anyone knows of a nice place to camp, watch the sun set, etc. that would also be appreciated.
Thanks for your help,
Devine

#153720 - 06/19/02 12:18 PM Re: San Juan Islands
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
My wife and I have camped and kayaked from Snug Harbor on the west side of San Juan Island several times. Never fished out of there but there's always a few of boogerpickers milling just outside the bay when we go up in September. I don't know what the regs or fishing are like in July.

http://www.snugresort.com/

#153721 - 06/19/02 12:40 PM Re: San Juan Islands
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
I took my 19' sled to Roche Harbor last July. It was ok for running around inside and nosing outside around the island early while the wind was down. Otherwise, we ran back inside when it blew in the afternoon. You won't want to get too far out expecting to come back later in the day as the conditions go quickly from easy to difficult. I was surprised by the current moving through the islands on a strong tide. It was ripping.

Discovering the San Juans is one of the reasons I bought the SeaSport 24. I'll be up there late July and look forward to exploring more of the islands than I could with my sled.

#153722 - 06/19/02 01:39 PM Re: San Juan Islands
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
There is a good chance you will not be safe in a 16 foot flat bottom boat. The water get rough very fast

#153723 - 06/19/02 03:06 PM Re: San Juan Islands
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I have fished out at sekui last summer with the boat with no problem. Fished the mouth of the Columbia on an incoming tide with some difficulty but nothing close flipping, just had to be careful.Inside the Islands has to be safe since there are kayakers all over right?. If I pay attention to tides do any of you think that inside the islands would be a problem?
Thanks again,
Devine

#153724 - 06/19/02 03:25 PM Re: San Juan Islands
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
go for it... just watch the weather...wind comes up fast

#153725 - 06/19/02 03:32 PM Re: San Juan Islands
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
If your asking would I do it the answer is no. The water is too unpredictable to be safe. You've asked people their opinions, if you don't like the answers that's OK. People die every year due to over confidence in their boats, motors, and their own abilities.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#153726 - 06/19/02 04:26 PM Re: San Juan Islands
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Ok here is a better question.... What about staying within the islands?

#153727 - 06/19/02 04:48 PM Re: San Juan Islands
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Comparing a sea kayake to a flat bottom boat is apples and oranges.

I have friends on the island and I can tell you that I know why his boat is some what larger and a deeper draft than that. The current between the islands can be very strong. And the winds can make it difficult to hold a true course with a flat bottom boat. Even just going out between the islands can be a problem if the wind comes up. You still have to be able to make a safe cove or you will still be in trouble.

I would not do it. But if you choose to good luck.

#153728 - 06/19/02 05:40 PM Re: San Juan Islands
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the info fellas. As much as I want to get over to the Islands it does not sound like the best of plans. Muchas Gracias amigos.
devine

#153729 - 06/19/02 06:21 PM Re: San Juan Islands
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
Devine, don't totally wimp out. As I said, you'll be fine inside like around Roche Harbor, Wescott and Mitchell bay. You can get outside the inland waterway but if the wind picks up you will need to get back inside. Between the islands does not constitute "inside". The current rips at an incredible rate and I saw 3-4' standing waves with the tops coming off late in the day. You can crab and clam and early in the morning you may get to the outside to drag deep for salmon or see the Orcas or the Dahls (we did). You just won't be hitting Hein or Middle bank (in my estimation anyway).

If you go to the San Juans without your boat, it will be the most perfect weather and you will regret not having it.

#153730 - 06/19/02 06:35 PM Re: San Juan Islands
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

See I am relatively new to the are so when I hear things about death and boats flipping it freaks me out a tad. I guess I can bring the boat across on the ferry and figure it out from there. I just have to do a little planing and figuring. Thanks pocket.
Devine

#153731 - 06/19/02 09:41 PM Re: San Juan Islands
josh870 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA, usa
mebbie let the price of the ferry ticket for boat and trailer decide. think it is 50$ for car driver and 1 passanger now

#153732 - 06/22/02 09:22 PM Re: San Juan Islands
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Wind and waves are one concern...ferry prices are another...lingcod is closed, crabbing is currently closed...yet another factor might be the dearth of suitable launches at a given tide...I live on Orcas and frequently launch at Bartwood, but it's a tricky spot for larger boats...don't know about the other islands. If you have the money, look into renting a more suitable deep-V boat from one of the local outfits. Check around at http://www.sanjuanweb.com/ or http://www.orcasboats.com/

...as if we need any more tourists in July! lol

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |