LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153899 - 06/23/02 11:16 AM Halibut question?
Mike L. Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Walla Walla, Wa.
Just returned from SE Ak. and my question is: If fishing for halibut without a depth finder, are you better off anchoring and letting the fish come to you, or do you drift with the tide and go to the fish? I drifted, and while I caught some fish, I was told that was not really the proper way to do it. What do you all think? Just trying to figure out if I need to adjust my methods. By the way, I was fishing out of a small boat in relatively shallow water.(100 ft or less)
As a side note the king fishing was fantastic. I spent a lot more time fighting fish than fishing for them. All salmon fishing was in salt water, as river fishing here seems to be a snagging show, which I don't condone.

#153900 - 06/23/02 12:40 PM Re: Halibut question?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Mike L. I spent 5 summers guiding out of Ketchikan and 6 out of Craig and can count on 1 hand how many times I anchored. There are quite a few guys that do anchor up for butts around Ketchikan and I actually think that it is probably more productive if your targeting larger fish, but I rarely had to target them and didn't like to hassle with the whole anchoring process.
On the west side of P.O.W. Is. (Craig area) there are few if any guys that anchor for halibut, I don't really know why it hasn't caught on there other then most of fishing is done on open water with alot of various species of fish available and it just seems more productive to cover water rather then sit on anchor, there are alot of areas that in 1 half-mile drift you can put kings, silvers, butts and lings in the box in 1 drift, did that on a regular basis.
Another factor is that most of the halibut grounds (that I fished anyways) were pushing 180-200 ft deep.
Lastly, there doesn't seem to be many charters around Craig that target big butts, some (me included) promote releasing the really big ones, like I mentioned earlier, if I were looking for big fish I might anchor but I really don't see much need to go through the hassle when the halibut fishing is as easy as it is just drifting.

#153901 - 06/23/02 07:05 PM Re: Halibut question?
cordog Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kent, WA
i spent one summer guiding for a resort out of gustavus,ak. mainly trophy halibut. what i found was that when the tides were moving good we would anchor. 1 hr. before and 1 hr after slack we would drift. The main thing is to keep your bait on the bottom.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1067 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |