LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154302 - 06/30/02 03:15 PM Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
The Hubbard Glacier has been rapidly advancing this summer and is now poised to block off Russell Fjord in possibly a matter of days.

Just a few weeks back, the gap was closed to about fifty yards ... now it's about the width of a basketball court.

This last occurred in 1986 and it trapped a number of porpoises and seals and set off a rescue effort that lasted for weeks.

If this occurs, salmon returning to the stream would have no way of making it up to spawn and would have severe impacts on on the watershed.

You can find out more about this at: The Tongass Site

Mother Nature throwing us a curve ball frown

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#154303 - 06/30/02 03:39 PM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Found some good links on the Hubbard

http://www.bcpl.net/~jefscott/hubbard/hubbard_index.html

http://edc.usgs.gov/earthshots/slow/Hubbard/Hubbard

Looks Awesome!

#154304 - 07/01/02 12:30 AM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
After reading the deal on the sattelite image I am curious how long it would take to overflow the southbank and enter the Situk River.

Seems like a shame to lose a good salmon run.

Boy mother nature can be cruel but I am also curious how deep the lake would have to raise and how long would it take to overflow.

#154305 - 07/01/02 12:52 PM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
Brings back memories! I was part of the rescue team in Yakutat in September '86. I was skippering a charter yacht and the season had just ended. Owners saw an opportunity for good P.R. and volunteered the boat for logistics. Was mostly a floating hotel, but still fascinating!

#154306 - 07/02/02 07:53 PM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Have never understood. If we are having global warming, shouldn't the glacier be retreating rather then advancing?

#154307 - 07/02/02 08:18 PM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

ONTHESAUK,

Im not sure if im correct but I think I saw on some science show that Global warming has only been somthing like 2 tenths of a degree over the past 30 years. I dont know if that is enough to make a big difference or stop a glacier from growing if it wants to.

#154308 - 07/03/02 12:53 PM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Not to worry folks. The mountains are pretty tall inbetween the drainages. Have been fishing Yakutat since 1982, Guided there for two summers, Wrote a paper on in in College. The Water pressure behind the Glacier will build up to the point of failure. Its a little questionable?? The Ice could built a perfect wall. But All snow and ice is constantly moving and changing and once the pressure builts one shift may be one shift to many. See you all there in October once again. But I'll Wear my lifevest just in case!!
TOM MATTICE
P>S> You can still see my initials on the table at the middle cabin from Aug. 82

#154309 - 07/03/02 12:56 PM Re: Situk River salmon in grave danger!!
Chubbytyee Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
We are going up there tomorrow. I had heard that there was talk about blowing it appart. That seems like a temporary fix until it needs it again. Also Greenpiece and Peta got wind of this and it will be crawling with them all around. Who now's what mother nature will do, hopefully it won't blow out the Situk and Little Situk. This area is so prestine and has phenomenal runs of fish. I'll give an up date in a week or so.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
6 registered (Excitable Bob, SpoonFed, Carcassman, 20 Gage, snit, steely slammer), 1275 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |