THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154522 - 07/16/02 01:03 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Superfly, your stereotyping flyfishers------- spooners and jiggers and eggers and shrimpers and spinners and flossers and snaggers have all been known to fish over spawning fish------ what about bait and downsteamers?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#154523 - 07/16/02 01:53 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
See 'Fly, that wasn't so hard was it! That was an intelligent, well though-out post that lends so much more credibility to your viewpoint. IMHO. smile

p.s. I wasn't offended by the language, F**k no! laugh laugh

#154524 - 07/16/02 02:18 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Small question Jerry since we are on the subject of stereotyping? Is calling those people who support keeping hatcheries "meat hunters" not stereotyping? If your gonna play the game please apply the rules equally. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

#154525 - 07/16/02 02:44 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Jerry Garcia Offline

Meathunters was one word Goose and yes RA3 was also stereotyping!

Lonnie Gane

#154526 - 07/16/02 05:34 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Joe,

Justin did stop by the last meeting, but only stayed for a minute because he was on his way to a B.A.S.S. meeting to try and sell some Vision bass hooks. He asked me about the next meeting, which isn't until next month, as we don't have a July meeting.

Go to http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com to see the mission statement, etc., for the Wild Steelhead Coalition. If you can't make it up for a meeting, maybe Justin can give you the full report. Make sure he brings lots of hooks and swivels!! laugh eek laugh

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#154527 - 07/16/02 10:15 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
Jerry Who exactly was I stereotyping? I was stereotyping anglers who fish for hatchery chinook in Puget Sound.. I would also say it was not a negative stereotype simply that the motivation of chinook fishermen in my experience is much different than say steelhead fishermen. In fact based on my observations of chinook fishermen in general (fall chinook anyway) i'd say that at least 50% never fish except when there are a lot of fish around that they can kill. That makes them meathunters. There is nothing wrong with that. However I do not want to sacrifice our wild fish so that people can harvest hatchery fish. That is exactly what we are doing!!

#154528 - 07/16/02 10:24 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Robert Allen -
I'm sure that we both agree that: 1)recovery of wild fish is dependent on placing their needs first and 2) there is much that needs to be addressed in the hatchey arena and the interaction of hatchery fish with wild fish.

However I have to disagree that eliminating hatchery programs is the sure way to recovery. There at less two examples in Puget Sound where hatchery steelhead programs have been eliminated and a decade ort more later the wild fish numbers are no better; The Nisqually and Cedar. The first step towards successful recovery of wild stocks is having healthy rivers. Without productive habitats no fish have a chance. Destroyed habitat is not easily restored with recovery times measured in life-times or more.

There has been much bantering about lately regarding the best science. However the refutable science is that salmonids need water!!

Tight lines
Smalma

#154529 - 07/16/02 11:52 PM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the spelling correction Jerry! wink Uhh RA3 I fish for chinook when I'm fishing for chinook, I also fish for steelhead when I fish for steelhead, I also fish for coho when I fish for coho, I also fish for pinks when I fish for pinks, I also fish for chum when I fish for chum, I also...dang that could go on forever! Well one more...I also fish for all of the above at the same time whenever they are present and it is legal to do so. What does that make me...hey I'm thick skinned...call it like you see it? Please let it happen Jerry this once?
After that I really do promise to be a good little bird! laugh laugh laugh wink Hey I'm serious eek !

#154530 - 07/17/02 08:55 AM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Jerry Garcia Offline

I never said stereotyping was bad only pointing out everybody[damn, that was stereotyping] does it. IMHO, stereotyping [ or the use of absolutes like always, never,everybody, etc.] dilutes the facts and alienates those that don't fit the norm. I fish for the white kings on the Veder 3 or 4 times in the fall, rarely if ever bring home a fish----- yet I'm still a meathunter?

Lonnie Gane

#154531 - 07/22/02 09:53 AM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley

#154532 - 07/23/02 12:41 AM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
For more information about the hatchery reform efforts check the following link:

HATCHERY REFORM IN PUGET SOUND & COASTAL WASHINGTON

Sometimes the wheels of change turn slower than we would like but considering the management mistakes made in the past it seems prudent to do things right this time around.

Does anyone have any positive suggestions what we as a user group can do to facilitate the reform process?

#154533 - 07/23/02 12:56 AM Re: Washington Trout declares war on recreational fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Volunteer to help! Thanks Plunker! laugh

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1067 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |