LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154826 - 07/09/02 09:13 PM Best salmon lure....
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
I'd like to pick the brains of some of my more esteemed brethren when it come to ocean fishing for chinook. We use a ton of bait out there and would like to know what lure to use instead, what color and how many pulls. Tired of spending a ton on bait and looking for better alternatives.

~Steelymann~

#154827 - 07/09/02 11:21 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
In Puget Sound my favorites are a white/glow hoochie or a 4.0 Coyote spoon (silver) trolled behind a green or white/glow Hot Spot dodger. You can troll shallow for Coho or go deep for Kings.

#154828 - 07/09/02 11:51 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
If your in an area where your marking alot of bait and/or fish, try jigging, I've had some phenominal days with Pt. Wilson Darts, Buzz Bombs, Zzingers, PL69's, and various other jigs.
I've tried many different colors and caught fish on most but my preference is green, blue also works well. I also try to match the size of the jig to the size of the bait.
If you're not finding much bait I would troll hardware, and start covering water, in this situation I like to drag either spoons (Coyote's, Superiors, big Canadian Wonders) or plugs (Tomic's white with green back) and troll fast, by fast I mean 3-4 mph, or faster, this may seem to fast at first but I've learned from the trollers in Alaska that this is how these lures are most effective, they troll this fast and faster and I watch them pull 1 king in after another on hardware and none of them troll slow. Trust me, if a fish wants your offering, he will get it "easily", don't believe this, checkout Charlie White's underwater video sometime.
Hope this helps you out a little, good luck. laugh

#154829 - 07/09/02 11:58 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the info! I'm heading out tomorrow out of Area 1 to give it a try. I'll let you know how it went. I've never tried jigging before but might give that aa whirl too. Thanks.

~steelymann~ laugh

#154830 - 07/10/02 12:04 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Try a half chrome / brass size 6 canadian wonder with a 6/0 gammi siwash on the down rigger from 40' to 80' down and troll fast 2.5 to 5 mph.This works well but will take a little time getting used to it,due to the fast trolling and your confidence level.Trust me it works out at westport and lapush real well.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#154831 - 07/10/02 02:48 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Try big Castmaster or Kastmasters, can't recall spelling, but in 3/4 ounce or larger. Blue/chrome, green/chrome, and solid chrome work great. They also have glow. Just an early tip for pinks, paint a chrome one flo-pink and try that. I nailed a 12 pound pink off Bush Point in 1993 on one. Warden said it was biggest pink he had seen. And I brain farted and smoked the darn thing. Still kicking myself. They can be jigged, cast, or trolled.

#154832 - 07/10/02 04:09 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
My favorite is the smalles B2 Squid in triple glo color behind a green or purple Hot Spot flasher. Jon Keizer of Salmon University and owner of Puget Sound Salmon Charters once said that if he could only take one lure fishing, it would be the B2 Squid.

#154833 - 07/10/02 05:13 PM Re: Best salmon lure....
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Went to try out my new found techniques only to be turned around by the Coast Guard at the mouth of the Columbia. Winds picked up and they wouldn't let small craft out. Thanks for the info. Plan on using it again on Sunday. Any tehniques specific to the area outside the mouth of the Columbia? Heard that north of the jetties is a great place to find the 'nooks but not sure where. Thanks for the info laugh

~steelymann~

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crazycat, Fishgal
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 148 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645461 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |