Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155776 - 07/23/02 11:29 AM Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
A friend told me he's taking some bucktails for silvers,when we go to Sekiu. He says troll em' fast with no weight and the fish go nut's. Where do I find some of these? What size? What color? So I'm thinking mainline,swivel,couple feet of leader and the fly.Is that how you'd typically rig em' up? And when he says fast,is that like fast enough to skip behind the boat? Thanks.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#155777 - 07/23/02 12:36 PM Re: Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
HBP,

I have no idea on a normal gear setup however, I have done a little trolling on a fly rod for them.
Sounds like you have the right idea though. As far as colors go, I like chartruese/white and pink/white combos in 4" tube flies. You need to let just enough line out to take your fly past the wash of the engine and hold on! Silvers while bucktailing will give definately make you want to bring extra fresh underwear on the boat each morning- explosive strikes! Make sure you're using a good strong leader too. I recommended nothing short of 20# although 15# will put fish in the boat. However, these are some explosive hits. Best time of the day for bucktailing will be early morning (preferred) or late evening. If you have a problem locating quality flies, shoot me an email.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#155778 - 07/23/02 12:40 PM Re: Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Answers to above questions:

1 - Most tackle stores

2 - 2 - 2/0

3 - Green/white, blue/white, black/white, color doesn't seem to matter all that much.

4 - Yep, that's a good way to rig them, or use a flyrod.

5 - Yes, troll very fast and let those flies skip on the surface, just behind the propwash.

#155779 - 07/24/02 05:25 PM Re: Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
JimSa Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA
I've been going out to Neah Bay years and have had a lot of success with flies. Matter of fact I just got back. It was standard Neah Bay/Seiku aerobic fishing... You can't keep the lines in the water because the fish are voracious.

I've noticed one thing with the flies. They work great but the fish seem to be a bit smaller. I tend to get bigger fish using cut plug. Going a little deeper with say a hoochie/hotspot setup also results in slightly larger fish. It seems the small ones go for the bugs while the big ones don't waste time with appetizers...

-Jim

#155780 - 07/24/02 05:56 PM Re: Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
Here is a deadly variation I have used when the coho are shallow - Fish a hotspot flasher about 20 feet behind the boat with no weight so the flasher planes along the surface like a surfboard. Rig a cut plug on a leader behind the flasher, with the leader just long enough so the cut plug churns just below the surface. HOLD ON!

#155781 - 07/26/02 01:44 AM Re: Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I just saw a show on flies for Chinook and Coho. they took a standard mooching line and hooks and tied pink and black mariboo in 2-3 inch long sections on both hooks right over the knots. Worked great.

#155782 - 07/26/02 07:28 PM Re: Bucktail flies for Sekiu silvers
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
how about tossing these flies from shore, say use like 1 ounce banana weight and jus cruise it fast thru the water?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1001 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |