posh II Offline
Returning Adult

smile Aunty M...
What is a board clique???

#156910 - 08/13/02 05:11 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Of course I knew that's how you'd interpret it Aunty, could I expect anything less? :p

Speaking of interpretations, I'll remove any ambiguity, and spell it out:

Personally, if G-Man wants to keep more than his limit OR NOT, that would be between him and the DFO.

I responded to Dan only because I could see where the others could get the wrong idea about G-Man's post. I didn't understand why Dan responded in the manner that he did. Now I do. No accusations towards G-Man on my part. Just trying to have a little fun with DanS. (Man it sure seems to get me in trouble, especially with Aunty. wink )

Speaking of ambiguity, this: laugh must not mean what I thought it did. confused

p.s. Did the term "Board clique" hit a nerve with you Aunty? wink

#156911 - 08/13/02 05:34 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Board Clique?

Did any of you Piscatorially Correct in your face idiots notice that G-MAN lives less than fifty miles from where he was fishing?

Possession limit? Duuhhh...

Why spend an hour on the road when it could be so much more fun to sleep in your car for a few days?

Edit - PS: No! No! No! Please don't repromand me for being obtuse. laugh

#156913 - 08/13/02 06:10 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I only said something for one reason.

The BB's seem to be a place where everyone hangs out like a bunch of vultures and waits for someone to say or show something and then pounce on them if there is ANY chance something less-than-savory is going on.

Remember the "Snagged fish on the cover" thread, and the "Tony D. Suspended from STS" thread?

Why do we always assume that someone is doing something wrong?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#156914 - 08/13/02 06:51 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
What I find objectionable is that when such fisheries are allowed flossing becomes an accepted method which it should not be. As I stated no true sportsman would do it PERIOD thats it. What makes it worse is that people learn how to do it then think it's ok anytime that the fish won't bite and flossing spreads hell i ain't gonna callit flossing anymore it's snagging. next thing you know you have peole saying it's ok to fish for steelhead on a redd because they won't bite any other way. Frankly i don't care if I am called a pureist. I don't care if people are offended by someone pointing out that what they are doing is wrong.
There used to be a legal snag fishery on the Washougal for fall chinook. People came from all over the world to participate in it. Even though it was only open to seniors and people with disabilities. pretty soon there were people all over the river snagging only they didn't stop with fall chinook, they also snagged coho, and wild steelhead. These people were the absolute scum of the earth. There was more litter generated from that fishery than from the MX Nationals which brings in 20.000 people.

These types of fisheries are always horrible and should not be allowed anywhere on the planet for any reason PERIOD! OK call me a closed minded ******* but quite frankly i'd rather be right than popular...

#156915 - 08/13/02 07:30 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
"Did any of you Piscatorially Correct in your face idiots notice...."
courtesy of PLUNKER.

Definition of obtuse..(the second time I've seen that word used most recently) "not sharp or quick of wit"
laugh Your description of yourself Plunk??

#156916 - 08/13/02 07:42 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Are we done yet?????

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#156917 - 08/13/02 07:42 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Quote:
but quite frankly i'd rather be right than popular...
What do you think about being neither?

#156918 - 08/13/02 07:57 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Dan, you must be a framer because you hit that nail squarely on the head. wink

#156919 - 08/13/02 07:57 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
Dan, that's the funniest thing I've read in awhile.

Both

Spot on. laugh laugh

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#156920 - 08/13/02 07:58 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
When G first started this thread I was wondering how long it would take for the sparks to fly. eek

I to felt that G's wording may have left him standing knee deep in the [Bleeeeep!]...at least as far as perspective. Since we did not see G last weekend I assumed that in his excitement perhaps it was more a matter of verbiage.

Explain yourself G and put this one to bed!

RA3...I believe the politically correct term in Rome is "bouncing"! wink

42,000 visible "bouncers" on the Fraser of which 99% are honest hard working folks like you or I and we are all going to hell for flossing? rolleyes

What about 42,000 rabid pro sports fans packed into a stadium? Are they also going to the same hell for supporting all that is unethical about pro sports in America's?

Only a hypocrite would have two seperate answers.

FJ...out.

#156921 - 08/13/02 09:11 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
"What do you think about being neither?" LMAO! (my belly hurts)

Are you flossing us Dan? - That line has teeth and is an easy drift to catch.

Posh II - "not sharp or quick of wit"

I like it. Good definition. Learning can be fun.

Here's a couple more:
"Lacking quickness of perception or intellect."
"Not having acute sensibility or perceptions"

Obtuse - (synonyms)
Dull-witted, dense, stupid, undiscerning, insensitive, ignorant, dumb, dense, imperceptive, insensible, doltish, feeble-witted, hasty, headlong, uncontrolled, rash, unreasonable, irrational, blind, benighted, pedestrian, backward, prosaic, slow, inarticulate, blind impercipient, shallow, unrefined, incognizant, insipid, boring, tedious, vapid, tiresome, pointless, humdrum and blunt.

Another more applicable definition for obtuse:
"Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark."

Question? Is there a difference between:
a) drifting a beaded hook on a twelve-foot leader perpendicular to and with the current (and)
b) drifting a sparsely dressed fly on a twelve-foot leader perpendicular to and with the current?

Is either ethical?
Is one or the other or both snagging?

Oh! Oh! Gotta run! Here come the thought police. Better close my mind.

Bye Now! smile

#156922 - 08/13/02 09:31 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Dan S. Offline

I was hoping not to get too caught up in this. wink

The Canadians can set their own rules......they're their fish to manage. That doesn't mean I have to agree with all their seasons, or bag limits, but it does mean that the participants SHOULD NOT be lumped together with the flossers down here who are doing something ILLEGAL. There IS a difference.

If you want to bring morality into it, go right ahead, but that is for an individual and/or society to determine whether or not an act is moral. We all have our lines we draw in terms of what's morally acceptable to us. I probably wouldn't call a Gamie on a dude if I saw him, say snagging silvers on the Quilcene. If I saw a guy poaching a native steelhead or a King on the Satsop this year, I would call a Gamie. There's my line.

Rob, your morals aren't the same as everyone else's and you'd be more apt to change people's compasses around by stating your point of view "flossers aren't much of a sportsman" without spazzing out about it. Of course you're welcome to butt heads if you choose, but that won't help the fish much.......

OK, is now when I say "PERIOD" ? laugh wink

#156923 - 08/13/02 09:59 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Well, I guess I kinda biased here as I spend my summers in a place where countless thousands of people harvest hundreds of thousands sockeye. 99% of which are harvested one of three ways: one, by flossing, two, by personal use dipnetting, and three, by personal use gillnetting at the mouth of the river.

Guess which way I prefer to fish them(although I don't claim residency anyhow to have the option to net)????

The way I look at things: if the fish don't bite period, floss 'em. Sure it's glorified snagging, but it still takes the knack to do it correctly so that you're hooking them in the mouth. If it's a fish that normally bites, then I say "no" to flossing. That's part of "fishing"

Weird way of looking at it? Perhaps, but knowing that perhaps 1 out a few thousand sockeye bite (there's been 225,000 + return to the Kasilof this year and we've caught FOUR with traditional methods) ... I can live with it.

Besides, who can resist it when this is what the fishery is all about??

Sockeye Lining Movie - 5.46 meg download

Sockeye Lining Movie - lower quality movie - 3.34 meg download

I think Fishgal's giggle says it all smile

Play nice eveyone wink

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#156924 - 08/13/02 10:11 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I wonder why bare red hooks behind a dodger, which sockeye definately bite in Lake Washington, don't seem to work in other freshwater situations. I assume it's been tried...

#156925 - 08/13/02 10:15 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
the_beek Offline
Alevin

Loc: langley
So G-Man, how big is your family? I find it hard to believe you haven't seen this post yet...

#156926 - 08/13/02 11:01 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
Slab Q
Thats a great question. On the Oly Pen they will take a sand shrimp. My friend who fishes L WA says he's tried but they won't take a shrimp there for him. He says they won't take a red hook on the Pen either. I have tried both on the Kenai without success, I have to wonder what the heck is up with these fish? Part of their Union Contract? rolleyes

#156927 - 08/13/02 11:23 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
longstone Offline
Alevin

Loc: Chilliwack, B.C.
Sockeye do bite in freshwater. The first time I intentionally targeted sockeye was before there was rentention by sporties allowed on the Fraser. Having never heard of flossing at this point I used a three foot leader and caught one fish after another. I continue to use a three or four foot leader and continue to catch fish consistently. I've caught sockeye on both fly (using a short tippet) and using marabou jigs on other systems. Of course my buddies say that the only reason I fish with short leaders is that I'm too cheap to tie longer ones. wink

#156928 - 08/13/02 11:53 PM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I have fished up in Alaska and I can tell you Flossing is hard. I must suck at it because it is not as easy as every one makes it out. (at least not for me) I guess I need more practice,next time I head North.

#156929 - 08/14/02 12:47 AM Re: Flossing Time!!! Fraser Sockeyes
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
Sorry guys and gals about taking a couple of days off the computer but I've been really "DOPED" up these last few days because someone left a net submerged FULL OF DEAD FISH in the river. mad

It's really amusing reading all the Flame Posts because they are from people who don't even know me frown
I kinda of enjoyed them. I like it when people "ASS-U-ME" We know what assume means don't we? eek Why do some of you assume I was alone? Why not assume it was a typo like some of the others that know me did?

I'm self employed and alot of my friends are also. So I always have people to go with. Me and FJ are Un-Employable. Shane, my 10 year old son, is "ALWAYS" with me when the boat leaves.
I'm alittle upset with him right now because he out fished me the last 2 days mad Little boogger! laugh

I figure the DOF in Canada does the same as our WDFW here in washington does to poachers "TAKE THEIR BOATS!!!" laugh

Do you all think I would trade my Jet Boat and a F250 powerstroke 4x4 for some sockeye?

The daily limit is 2 sockeye and 1 king per person.

Friday morn, after "we" were DONE fishing, and after the accident I left my boat, truck and trailer at the Jesperson boat launch.(With some Canadians, I didn't even know). Was I worried? Nope, Because we only had only 4 sockeye. 2 for me and 2 for Shane.

Thank you FJ, I should ALWAYS "proof read" before I post, my mistake. wink

Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. OOPS! Ok, I can't "count" days, nor can I "drive" over submerged nets. It must be a "Country Thing"

"MY BOAT" Sorry, "I", it's a "Male Possession" thing.

I've never been "Flamed" before, It was kinda cool! Thanks A laugh

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |