THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157910 - 08/23/02 02:35 PM Re: Catch out of place?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Here's another, though it's not a fish...and not necessarily out of place, just shouldn't have been on my line.

While flyfishing the Firehole River in Yellowstone, my backcast got snagged.

Unbeknownst to me, a few bison had come down to the river behind me, and I had snagged a big bull right between the horns in that "Sideshow Bob" tuft of hair they have there.

I was concentrating so much on the fish rising that I missed them coming.

The bull didn't seem to notice or mind, and a couple of yanks and my 7x tippet popped.

Other odd ones...

Lots of bats, since I like to flyfish at night in E. Wa. every once in a while.

Squalicum Lake in Bellingham put out about twenty little toads in one evening. They were all in the lake spawning, and if they caught sight of your dry fly, they'd paddle right over and grab it. If I saw them coming, I'd pull it out, but I didn't see them all as some were a little slyer than others and swam up to the fly from underneath.

They'd come in with the fly in their lip and both hands holding on to the tippet.

Foul hooked a seal in Whatcom Creek back in my college days. Wasn't able to land him frown .

Fishing a beaver pond near Fall City resulted in a six inch rubber worm stuck in the front leg of a beaver. Good fight, but quite short. He broke me off in the trees...

Keep 'em comin'!!

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#157911 - 08/23/02 04:22 PM Re: Catch out of place?
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
We were trolling between the Caves and Eagle Point at CQ in 30ft of water just before day light
and all of a sudden my line popped free from the down rigger and my rod bent into the water.We thought we had a hog king on until we realized it was not moving much so I set the hook hard then the line started screaming off the real about 30 minutes later we saw what it was.It was a 60lb halibut.

#157912 - 08/24/02 02:00 AM Re: Catch out of place?
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
Saltwater caught one of those little black diving birds.

Freshwater when I was a kid I was fishing off a bridge over the Okanogan River and had a hit and yanked sending my line sailing up over my shoulder (bridge is about 50ft above the water) and my line wrapped around a antenna of a passing car. The next week was fishing with my dad and a friend of his and his friend caught and old transitor radio(also on the Okanogan River). He took it home dried it out and plugged it in and it still works today. laugh

#157913 - 08/24/02 02:37 AM Re: Catch out of place?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
Used to catch Seagull kites at the mouth of the Hoh River when I was young. They would snag the bait and all right out of the air and fly around. I hear the fishers in Alaska do it on purpose for entertainment......

Not out of place per se, but caught an 8ft ray at Pt. Defiance about 5yrs ago. Felt like we were snagged but in was coming up slowly. Got it to the back of the boat and was shocked. It was wider than our beam and really not happy!

#157914 - 08/24/02 02:57 AM Re: Catch out of place?
crazyfisher Offline
Fry

Loc: Battle Ground
I was trolling at battle Ground lake with a friend when all of a sudden my reel went screaming
line was running from it really fast. But I did not realize that my line was out far when I realized I hooked another boat

#157915 - 08/24/02 02:57 AM Re: Catch out of place?
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I took a buddy fishing out at Redondo. We were just setting up the downriggers and poles to start the day when he drops my brand new downrigger ball in the water. We laughed but it sucked and i said he owed me $20.

Next day he goes out to Point Defiance and his pole pops off the downrigger and line starts zipping out. After 10 seconds of confusion he figured he snagged a big starfish or something. When he got his line up a thin rusty cable was snagged on his hook. So he pulled up the cable and attached to the end was the identical ball he had dropped the day before. Pure luck. I was hoping to make him pay for his dumb mistake. Atleast i got my ball back.

#157916 - 08/24/02 01:38 PM Re: Catch out of place?
Schlab Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
About 7 years ago, I was fishing Bobby Lake at the east end of Nunnally. I was fishing a two chironomid rig and broke off a nice fish at about 10am. Late that afternoon, I had moved over to the other side of the pond and was fishing near the where the creek flows in. I hooked a little fish that promptly dove into an enormous pile of weeds and snagged me. I kicked over in my tube and hand lined up the whole mess into my lap. Giant pile of weeds, with my little fish in the middle all tangled up in the same broken tippet with my two flys from that morning!

#157917 - 08/26/02 03:40 PM Re: Catch out of place?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Ah yes, talk of the seal made me remember another one......

I used to fish out of a rowboat at Steliacoom. Went down there early one July day well before daylight, put my cut plug in the water, pulled a couple times on the oars and down went the bait. Tightened up and felt a huge throbbing on the line and thought big king! Tightened a little more and off he screams and I'm thinking really big king! About 100 yards out he finally surfaces, and there is a seal, which I at first thought must have my really big king in his mouth, until he went down, I got closer, it got a little lighter, and I could see my line going down it's gullet. Yes, it had eaten my herring! Well, I'm in this motorless jon boat, so I cranked down my drag all the way, reared back on the rod, and let him tow me. Even with a 20 lb. leader, he couldn't seem to break me off between the limber rod, the light boat, and the inability of the seal to put on that burst of initial speed that a fish can. He did tow me around a while, but eventually he started making shorter runs, came up panting like a racehorse, and finally was so worn out after 20 minutes that I was able to reel him right up to the boat. Man did he bark and snap, and kept trying to swim away but eventually couldn't. Could have netted and bonked the sucker easily but all I settled for was grabbing my lead and snapping off my hooks. Don't know how much those things weigh, but short of a sturgeon I haven't c&r'd anything bigger. laugh

#157918 - 08/26/02 05:08 PM Re: Catch out of place?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Not too many come to mind. Just a couple:

-A shad in the Snohomish River.
-A true cod (big one) in Shilshole (Salmon) Bay off of my friends dock.
-The occasional crab, starfish, or octopus while mooching for king salmon.
-Bats while fly fishing
-Seagulls that were dumb enough to grab my herring under a float.
-Bullfrogs that liked poppers.

#157919 - 08/26/02 05:18 PM Re: Catch out of place?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Two Atlantics in the Sky and one in the salt.
A fairly large octopus while mooching for kings at Sekiu.
An 80 Lb halibut on 20 pound test mooching for kings at Sekiu....by myself. Not really a pleasent experience.

#157920 - 08/26/02 06:31 PM Re: Catch out of place?
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I don't know if this is totally out of place or not.....
I was on the Cowlitz a couple years ago with 3 kids bobber fishing for steelhead, and the bobber goes down for the 8 y/o.....I was sitting on a rock...he yells fish on...I thought he was snagged....I take the rod to pull it free and the rod pulls back....I hand it back to him and he lands this HUGE rainbow trout....had to be 8 pounds, covered in spots, with a belly that looked like he swallowed a beer can...

#157921 - 08/26/02 06:52 PM Re: Catch out of place?
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
My buddy caught a clam of some kind at clay banks while mooching. His line must have passed over it while it was open and it clamped down when if felt it. We had a heck of a time getting it off his 25lb line. Thought it was a freak thing, but he got a few more later that day - a few had good sized rocks attached. Next time you think you've snagged bottom, you may just have one of these guys latched onto your line...

On another trip, I snagged a sea cucumber.

While night fishing for catfish in lake Texana in Texas, a 12 ft alligator ate my bobber (not my bait...). I tried to break it off, and eventually had some slack. I said to my brother, better stand back, he may have just headed towards us. Sure enough, he pops up right where we were standing!! This happened several more times, each time, he\she was just trying to get our bobbers.

The next day, I followed the bank through the water moccasin and copperhead infested brush back along a channel to where the gators go during the day. I found a small little bay (about 10ft wide) where the bank was covered with gator tracks. In the little bay were dozens upon dozens of bobbers. Many cracked and stuck in the mud or barely floating, but most were in pretty good shape. I snatched a hand full and took off before momma realized I took some of her babies (or whatever - I don't really know why this gator was obsessed with collecting bobbers...).

#157922 - 08/27/02 01:12 PM Re: Catch out of place?
MaxMad Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: "the middle kingdom" aka Cheha...
- my wife caught a seagull with a buzz bomb off powder wharf before they demolished it, the gull drew blood from the back of my hand when I was getting the hook out

- my oldest son when he was 8 or so was fishin off our boat at night (black & moonless) back in a cove on east fork lake in batavia oh with a plastic bobber the size of a baseball with a watch battery & light in it with red lens, he said something was messing with his bobber, i said yea right, looked at it & swoooosh it dis-appeared in a big roll/gulp, his drag started burning off & 2-3 seconds later the fish was under a log on the bottom in 30+ feet of water, had to be a big channel cat... p.s. they would only hit red, my 4 year son had a green lens & they wouldn't touch it...

#157923 - 08/27/02 05:27 PM Re: Catch out of place?
Bruiser Offline
Alevin

Loc: Everett, WA
2 years ago I was fishing with some friends at Silver Lake. I was on a dock and they were on shore about 40 feet away and they caught a fish. I ran over there to check it out.

I then looked over at dock, my pole was bent all the way over and about to snap. I was like HOLY ****! Ran over there and starting realing in and it just kept tugging under the dock.

I finally saw a dark figure come up...it was a freaking huge turtle. I was so frightened as I never saw a turtle in there and it was siting there snaping at me when I was trying to unhook it. It bite once and I had to cut the line and throw it back as one guy said it was endangered species or something.

I have a history of catching turtles. I caught quite a few down in Arkansas last summer when at grandparents ranch. They live on a river and I went fishing like every day and caught a lot of snapping turtles. Those things are mean!

#157924 - 08/28/02 02:05 AM Re: Catch out of place?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
A few years ago, while taking pictures of a 64 lbs. king that a resort guest had brought in, a buddy of mine saw what looked like the tail of a snake sticking out of the throat of the fish, he began to pull on the tail and a 14 inch baby wolf eel popped out.
Anyone know where I can get some fresh eel?

#157925 - 08/28/02 06:29 PM Re: Catch out of place?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I forgot. The Kid caught a humpy on the Hoh fishing for eary Kings last year.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#157926 - 08/28/02 06:51 PM Re: Catch out of place?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yeah, that sounds about right for The Kid! wink

#157927 - 08/29/02 09:35 PM Re: Catch out of place?
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
About 10 or 12 years ago I caught a condom on the lower Snohomish when trolling for silvers. We practiced good CnR and released it without handling it.

#157928 - 08/30/02 12:20 AM Re: Catch out of place?
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
4 weeks ago I caught a chum in the Fraser with purple stripes on her. eek

I caught an Alantic in the Nutsack. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 632 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |