THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158010 - 08/23/02 10:59 AM King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
I have watched a guy at Yeomalt Point in Area 10 kill several kings this year (the area is closed to king retention). The guy is a moocher and clearly a veteran in the area. Last night, the guy had the balls to net and bonk a really nice fish in front of 6 or 7 other boats, all within 100 yards of him. Several boats stopped to watch the fight. He then tagged the fish (no doubt in area 11), and then went right back to fishing! I passed by him and noted that he either just set the state coho record or had killed a king illegally. He responded "Tell that to the Indians". I too have often lamented at having to release kings in area 10 when many will end up in Tribal nets, but have always played by the rules.

Would you report this guy? I was tempted but could not find the poaching hotline number in my regulation book.

#158011 - 08/23/02 11:11 AM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I have called on people bonking kings on the Skykomish River so I would have no problem calling on someone in the salt.

#158012 - 08/23/02 11:38 AM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
If not you, then who? Report poaching here: http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/enf/poaching.htm

#158013 - 08/23/02 12:02 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, WA
Is the increased scrutiny by the state worth it Chip? What will they do if you report it?

A. Note it.
B. Act on it.
C. Revisit the season regs for next year and close it altogether instead of CNR.
D. Some of the above.
E. None of the above.

I think that the state is not acknowledging that this kind of abuse is happening when they set the CNR season, but they surely know it's going to happen.

Going back a year or so ago, there was discussion here on PP about targeting the Kings vs CNR'ing the coho. When fishing the CNR area, you MAY NOT target the species that is closed. How can that be achieved? IMO, either close it, or put some gear restrictions in place to keep the lure in the upper zone where the coho are. It won't prevent abuse, but maybe it would help to keep the incidental King hookups to a smaller percentage. Maybe ban herring during the CNR season and only allow trolling with hardware. Again maybe...but as far as the answer to your question...

Sounds like the guy is making a habit of bonking these Kings...bad news. I think I might file a report Chip.

#158014 - 08/23/02 01:00 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Quote:
Is the increased scrutiny by the state worth it Chip? What will they do if you report it?
I am not sure about fish however, years back, a buddy and I were up in OP early season bow hunting for Elk. Just as I was getting ready to release on a bull, a crack from a rifle dropped my trophy right in front of me. My buddy came running figuring I had been shot. Long story short... we stayed well hidden, watched the guy drag out up to truck. Got all the info and reported it. We headed to court, guy ended up going to jail and we ended up with a reward ... Sorry, I am unable to disclose...

Though I seen/heard a story about a knucklehead poaching Kings on the Skagit. Department took everything from him including his house plus jail time.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#158015 - 08/23/02 01:04 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Report it Chip

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#158016 - 08/23/02 01:29 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
In this case we have a responsibility as sports fishermen to report it. I know 'snagging' and 'flossing' occur on a regular basis. These are mostly intentional ( accidents do happen and fish should be released) ways of catching fish that are illegal for a reason.... This person is as guilty as someone who is robbing the bank. In this case it is a 'bank' of fish for future seasons. He needs to be dealt with. Book em Danno....

#158017 - 08/23/02 01:57 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
Done!

#158018 - 08/23/02 03:04 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

It's idiots like Poachers that make it unfair for us law abiding citizens. If poachers increase their activity an dcontinue to do so for a long period of time, it's a matter of time before they close all fishing and hunting and I'm sure PETA would just love that!!!

Me: I'm a law abiding citizen and a proud member of the TRUE PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals!

Kick Arse on the Poachers!!!

~SFJ

Get Hooked!

#158019 - 08/23/02 03:20 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
People Eating Tasty Animals.....I love it!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh

#158020 - 08/23/02 03:49 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
im sure people on this bb knows my point of view when it comes to the tribes being able to keep fish no matter what and we dont even get to fish nor keep them( i dont eat fish much) but screw the tribes, the state and the rules, id say if a person wants to keep a "fish" im so sure,like there isnt millions of them out there, salmon that is..wild stealhead are another story.. **berkley boy**

#158021 - 08/23/02 04:26 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

bb75
Just follow the freakin rules dude confused

#158022 - 08/23/02 04:34 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
And we wounder why we don't give out good info around here. We get a jack a$$ that use's good info in bad ways. The rules are set for a reason. It's much more rewarding doing it by the book. Give it a shot some time.

#158023 - 08/23/02 05:21 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bremerton,WA
I mean when you accept the fact that the tribes exist and until there are changes in their fishing habits(nothing any time soon) then the regulations are there to protect the fish. If everyone acted like that dipsh!t that poached the fish then we would not have any fishery at all. People should wake up and realize that what they are doing is distructive behavior.
Personally I prefer to avoid authority and not cause any confrontations cause 9 times out of 10 they will be on the right regardless of who is actually right. Everyone enjoy the weekend, I am going to legally catch my fish,
peace
devine

#158024 - 08/23/02 06:46 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i want to clarify sumthing, i personally dont fish or target closed rivers or fisheries, but if someone wants to keep the fish, then hey, thats there problem not mine, except when it comes to wild steelhead, then i will say sumthing about it,i do follow the rules, i can read the regs..i pinch my barbs when have to..i dont want to see certain fisheries closed, but the nets have to come out if the fish are gonna rebound..its been proven in oregon that it works..**berkley boy**

#158025 - 08/23/02 07:26 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
BB75, we don't have as many fish as you think. You think there are millions of kings around here? I don't think that kings outnumber wild steelhead by much, or at all, in a lot of rivers around here.

#158026 - 08/23/02 08:34 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Stilly bum

So true and so sad frown

#158027 - 08/23/02 08:43 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
golfer Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Issaquah
Yo Berkley Boob. I think you be smokin that hootch again. Your post makes no sense. I get pissed hearing about poaching. One guy does it, another follows. Regs are for everyone. Breaking them has nothing to do with the net issue. Why some folks think they are above the law amazes me. Jerks like the poacher are using the Indians as an excuse for easy fishin!

#158028 - 08/23/02 10:23 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gives me great pleasure to use my cell phone to turn a law breaker in. wink laugh rolleyes !
We don't need them in our sport fishing fraternity.

#158029 - 08/23/02 10:51 PM Re: King Poaching - Would You Report It?
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
I second Golfers post,Berkely Boob. I'll leave it at that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |