#158695 - 09/01/02 06:19 AM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point

#158696 - 09/01/02 01:45 PM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
fishingfool Offline
Fry

Loc: No Tellum Washington
Stiller, I will post the info on the dollars relating to the economic impact of the elliott bay fishery. I will also try to locate the info from previous sockeye fisheries,and what the recreational fishery contributed to the local economy. The dollar amount of the last sockeye fishery in the lake was HUGE. Not 2002. I am a little leery about the tribes behavior regarding selling uncounted fish. Hear me out. I was invited to monitor/observe the tribal fishery in action on elliott bay and the lower river from 1998-2000 this was from the tribal fisheries dept,and Mike Mahavalich their bioligist. I rode along on their enforcement boat on numerous occassions to observe and report on the netting activity,conduct of the fisherman and the resulting transport of the catch to an off load sight for sampling and sale to pre arranged buyers on shore. I was allowed full access with prior notification and also on random spot checks. I never had any problem with asking to view holding tanks, on board or asking for explanations of fish put to the side and kept by the crew. On every single occasion there was a state rep./sampler from WDFW at the off load site. the fish are brought up to the dock and the first thing thats done is a count by wdfw and the tribe does a count also. within minutes fish tickets are filled out to account for the catch by that boat. Each fisherman has a right to retain a few fish for himself, and regarding selling to the public I think most people on this board have seen tribal caught fish being sold at the boat or on the highway . I think with proper accountability and the buyer folowing certain WDFW rules after purchase i think it may be legal to some extent and is a common practice state wide. I am not praising the tribes or agreeing with their fishery management, but mike mahavilich and that fishery dept run a clean ship and they on more than one occassion have been 100% responsable for sport fishing seasons for us against the wishes of the WDFW. I disagree with the allocation at times but when our own WDFW takes no action or gives no explanation as to why the tribe took 90% of the harvestable fish and we get crumbs i tend to get angry with the state first then the tribes.As to the impact a sport fishery can have all one has to do is think about what goes into a days fishing for a guy and a buddy or two. Money spent getting the boat and the safety equipment up to speed, filling both tanks on board, oil for mixture, grab some new tackle for the trip, get the beer and food,bait,launching fees,getting the new liscense,etc,etc, Add to that any fish caught goes on the barbecue,or smoked,more costs there. Add to that the amount of marijuana and other goodies bought by many anglers you can see how it adds up.

#158697 - 09/01/02 02:49 PM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
fishingfool, the tribal fishery did have an impact on the economy but sadly in a negative way, because of the greed, two of the boats being over loaded with fish sank and none of the fish were salvaged i wonder if those fish were counted as part of the total?

#158698 - 09/01/02 03:38 PM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Hey, I thought we were the ones responsible for wiping out an endangered species with our rods and reels. laugh

#158699 - 09/01/02 03:54 PM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
11,000=50% Indians mad
2,000=50% Sporties confused

Isn't it wonderful how the "split" works out or has that changed now?

fp

#158700 - 09/01/02 04:10 PM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
bonker Offline
Alevin

Loc: carnation,wa
This is the 2nd year for the lopsided figures, and WDFW signed off on the Elliott Bay Fishery seasons both times during the North of Falcon process with the Suquamish & the Muckleshoots. WDFW knew the harvest numbers were going to be skewed last winter when they OK'd the fishery. I don't know that the tribes can be blamed for WDFW rolling over and giving them everything they want at NOF.

#158701 - 09/04/02 03:17 AM Re: Muckelshoot 11,000 kings/ Anglers 2,000
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Well so far everyone that's posted seems to agree that the closures in the bay has hurt everyone. I don't even get the annual boat launch pass any more. The boat house is not much of that, only time you'd launch a 14 ft. boat out the launch would be if the bay was open, the fresh bait is sometimes day old with gut rot and soft at times unlike Defiance, parking is a joke and if you didn't come early enough you'd have to park almost down to 7/11 and hitch hike back to the launch (wished the city would've made the park next to Salty's a launch/park combo so everyone could enjoy and get some extra revenue from it). Just reading this thread makes me not want to fish in the bay, BUT figured they did give us 6wknd openers instead of the usual 3 so might as well make the best of it. Maybe they had this all planned out in the beginning with the tribes. Possible conspiracy??????? eek eek

Robert

--------------------

"DO THE WILD THANG"

P.S. why couldn't they extend the area to the lite house or down to Lincloln Park???? From my understanding the tribes have complained that the fish caught are Elliot Bay fish, all the way down to the park, and if that's the case, open it up with the bay. Would it hurt? Can it help to even the fish counts? More revenues?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |