LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159000 - 09/05/02 04:47 PM Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
ok ok we can argue all day and all night what the best driftboat is
what the best material for a boat is. but tell us about the worst
driftboat you ever rowed and why..

The worst boat i ever rowed was a santiam drifter for the very simple reason it was worn out.
20 seasons on the shallow Madison river and even though the bottom had been reglassed it leaked
tremendous amounts of water. Probablt not a thing wrong with the boat except that it was worn out.

#159001 - 09/05/02 06:13 PM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
My old 1972 18' Lavro with the motor well in side the boat.What a tank,nice and roomey though.I still have it.I haven't used it since 1994.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#159002 - 09/05/02 06:55 PM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
DriftWood Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma, Wa, USA
A wooden McKenzie style with almost zero rocker. It was like trying to row a brick. Good workout though. Pluggin was very ugly.

#159003 - 09/05/02 07:01 PM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Currently I own a 15' old wood boat. Must be 30 years old. Has the dense plastic on the bottom. You have to make sure and get the water out when coming to rough areas of the river. Tracks pretty bad. A friend has a pretty new aluminum he let me row, couldnt believe the difference! Seemed safer too.

#159004 - 09/05/02 10:01 PM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
River Rat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa. Perice
Worst was my old wood with glassoverlay on the bottem what a tub. next was an Alumaweld with a moterwell.

#159005 - 09/05/02 10:34 PM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

The worst one was a 16ft aluminum owned by a freind.. One side was lower than the other so it made it hard to row and in a snow storm it was Hell worst day on the river i ever had.... eek

mainly region 6

#159006 - 09/06/02 12:35 AM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
The worst for me are driftboats with a motor well and the "Rapid Robert" types with a square stern. Next awful are 14 footers with not enough rocker to keep the transom out of the water on a power stroke. Third are big aluminum tubs weighted down with plush seats, coolers, storage boxes, pizza ovens and whatever. I like a 14 footer to weigh about 240 and a wide 16 footer to be well under 300. Light driftboats that are clean row easier and are (in my opinion) much safer in a capsize. If all else is equal, the longer boat will row faster and track easier.

#159007 - 09/06/02 12:49 AM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
LOL, worst boat I ever rowed was my buddies homemade DB. He knew how to weld, so took a pattern off a neighbors boat and did the welding himself. OMG, what a piece of you know what. The oar locks were uneven and seperated. So you were rowing sideways and off kilter to boot. Same as above, his waterline sucked. He had the curve, but too much in one end and not enough in other. Was a slug, and hurt your arms/shoulders since you couldn't row evenly.

Say it this way, he sold it for $400 to some sap, hopefully it's not one of you on here. smile

Northwest River Fisherman

#159008 - 09/06/02 01:08 AM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I'm sitting in the front seat of my 16' Clackacraft while a buddy row's me across Warden Lake. He sez "this piece of sh#t is the worst boat I've ever rowed in my life, I take a sip of my beer and look the boat over. Notice the anchor rope is all gone save for the double-knot @ the end , dragging a 40 lb. hook thru the mud into a 10 mph headwind will do that......c/22 laugh

#159009 - 09/06/02 07:21 AM Re: Worst Driftboat you ever rowed?
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Old AlumaWeld at Yakutat Lodge. It was a 16 footer that had fallen off the trailer, and was somewhat folded in the middle. Oars were not wrapped, and were of different length. Passenger seats were permanently corroded, to the right side of center. To top if off, there was a carved stick of alder crammed in the P-hole for a boat plug. Asked the lodge owner about condition of the boat, and he said "This is Alaska, What do you expect". Nuff said.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (SpoonFed, 2 invisible), 971 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645425 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |