LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159253 - 09/08/02 02:40 AM What a JOKE!!!
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Recieved in the mail today an invitation to attend a dinner party honoring Carl Crouse who is not only the former director of the State Department of Game but the former president of the National Wildlife Federation and the founding member of the Washington Wildlife Federation.

The flyer/inviation asks you to join the celebration of his career in "Fish and Wildlife Conservation" and the flyer specifically reads "the Washington Wildlife Federation is honoring Carl for his 60+ years of dedication to to fish and wildlife conservation..."

And on top of it, the flyer/invitation asks for donations to the endownment fund being created in Carl's honor.

But look at the flyer...look what is on the menu!!! mad mad eek eek rolleyes

#159254 - 09/08/02 02:43 AM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Oh my GOD! That is funny! laugh laugh

Good eye for details Spark. smile

#159255 - 09/08/02 02:49 AM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Damn!

They should have caught some tame ones. laugh

#159256 - 09/08/02 11:30 AM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Sparky -
It is hard to image that anyone has down more for the wildlife of the state of Washington than Carl Crouse in his long career!!

As far as the "wild chinook" on the menu. As I read the menu it is one of the options, diner's choice. In the restaurant trade "wild salmon" is used to contrast to farm raised. The "wild" fish may be of either hatchery or natural origin but has done most of its growing in the ocean.

If you have great concern about the potential taking of "wild chinook" for this dinner why limit your darts to just this issue. Over the last year I have seen many reports on this very site of wild salmon (chinook, coho, sockeye, pinks and dogs) being caught and killed. All summer long have been treated to a long series of "hero shots" of dead wild salmon from Alaska.

If you feel that no wild fish should be killed why not start your campaign in your own backyard. Beginning by chastising your friends and fellow posters on this site for this "unethical" behavior. Something to think about.

Tight lines
Smalma

#159257 - 09/08/02 01:07 PM Re: What a JOKE!!!
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Sparkey...interesting dinner choice.
If I were doing the invitations, I might have added a little footnote so that people wouldn't have to ask.
Smalma...you don't have to chastise Sparkey
to get your point across.
We don't eat in restaurants where they serve
netted fish. smile

#159258 - 09/08/02 08:21 PM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Smalma-
I understand...maybe my post was a little harsh but I can not help but notice the irony in the whole situation.

Are wild chinook not listed as threatend or endangered under the ESA in many Pacific Northwest waters??

The fish they are serving could very well not be wild chinook but maybe I am more angry because they are serving commercialy caught fish and claim to be a conservation organization.

Commercialy fishing is the antithesis of fisheries conservation...IMHO.

btw-Don't worry Posh...I can take a little critisism from Smalma during our many discussions...and I know he can take some (maybe even all) of mine.

#159259 - 09/08/02 09:28 PM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Sparky -
Of course I understand you can easily cope with my "shots", that's one of the aspects that make our discussions enjoyable.

However, if one is concern with the impacts of the taking of the chinook on the menu why not the beef. After all the damage that grazing cattle have on the range lands, the water needed to raise the corn and hay used on feed lots, the trampling of the stream banks all potentially have as great of impacts on listed chinook as any commerical or other fishery. Since the affair was to honor work in the conservation of wildlife prehaps the consideration of the impacts on sage grouse, pygmy rabbits, etc caused by the loss of our native sage and steppe lands from grazing and conversion to crop lands should be just as large of a focus of the discussion. Of course to us fishers such land base issues tend not to be noticed.

Posh -
The fish could just as easily be troll caught(hook and lined) as netted. Is your arguement that chinook should not be taken in commerical fisheries? I can whole heartly agree that chinook are more valuable in a recreational fishery rather than a commerical one. However that is an interesting social debate but doesn't really make much difference to the chinook resource. What does make a huge difference is the total number of fish killed. Believe it or not the fish don't care whether they are taken in a net or other commerical fishery or one of the many recreational fisheries. The cummulative impacts of all fishing need to be considered.

Tight lines
Smalma

#159260 - 09/09/02 01:05 AM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Smalma:

However, if one is concern with the impacts of the taking of the chinook on the menu why not the beef. After all the damage that grazing cattle have on the range lands, the water needed to raise the corn and hay used on feed lots, the trampling of the stream banks all potentially have as great of impacts on listed chinook as any commerical or other fishery.
Don't think that never crossed my mind...I am fully aware of the damages caused by cattle grazing and other farm practices. I just believe, that because wild chinook are such a prominent symbol in the battle for the health of our fisheries, a much better choice could have been made.

#159261 - 09/09/02 09:56 AM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Sparkey -
I agree that wild chinook as a menu item was less than best choice for a Northwestern dinner honoring conservation efforts.

However my concern really remians that we continually become distracted by the debate between commerical and recreational caught salmon and steelehad . From a user point that is a important debate but the real issue is the quality of our river habitats and whether they continue function properly to support healthy fisheries of any kind.

As also enjoyed our latest discussion.

Tight lines
Smalma

#159262 - 09/09/02 06:08 PM Re: What a JOKE!!!
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
At least it wasn't Wild Steelhead.

#159263 - 09/09/02 07:20 PM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I am going to opt for the poached spotted owl's eggs (farm raised).....

#159264 - 09/09/02 10:36 PM Re: What a JOKE!!!
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
It sounds like youse guys are ready to join PETA

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 368 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |