#159322 - 09/08/02 11:05 PM Estuary fishing for silvers
archie99 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Bremerton, WA, USA

#159323 - 09/08/02 11:08 PM Re: Estuary fishing for silvers
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Try Wiggle Warts. The medium sized ones. In silvery colors. I use them in the tidewater of the Green River and knock'em dead.

#159324 - 09/09/02 12:45 AM Re: Estuary fishing for silvers
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
try a herring fillet about 3 inches long under a round cork float pegged with a piece of lead like for driftfishing for casting distance. it works the best for me in that situation. or if you fly fish attracter flies in short rapid hops work killer also. Ben

#159325 - 09/09/02 10:52 AM Re: Estuary fishing for silvers
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
A super lure for this situation is the Bud's #3 spinners, I like the brass best. Vibrax #3 and Mepps #4, I think, worked well too. Light lines to get the lure out far and a slow retrieve enough to keep in off the bottom has worked very well for me especially on the incoming tides. If you're working the shoreline you'll probably need to go to a smaller, lighter spinner though. I have always thought that this is one of the funnest fisheries we have around. I'm always amazed at how few people take advantage of it. HAVE A BLAST!
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#159326 - 09/09/02 12:18 PM Re: Estuary fishing for silvers
archie99 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Bremerton, WA, USA
What is a Bud's #3 spinner?... I don't think I have seen them before....

Thanks

#159327 - 09/09/02 12:29 PM Re: Estuary fishing for silvers
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Bud's is just another brand of spinner.

#159328 - 09/09/02 07:07 PM Re: Estuary fishing for silvers
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Brings back memories of the first time I fished for "net pen" silvers in Oak Harbor. I used to limit out, on silvers to 12 lb.s, in about 20 min.s.

It probably wasn't even 15' (more like 2-6', at the most) deep, and many times I was sight castin to the fish! Boy, is a fresh silver hooked in water that shallow a "hot" fish!!

One of the funnest fisheries I've experienced to date.

I was fishin from shore and using mostly buzz bombs and a trout pole w/4 lb test line.

I think I was usin mostly the two to two and a half inch buzz bumbs, but they may have been even smaller.

I like to use the largest buzz bomb that won't hang up on the bottom. I think that the larger the buzz bomb the greater the distance from which it will attract fish.

In most fisheries I replace treble hooks w/either a single siwash or with a double (octopus style) hook leader, sometimes adding a very small hootchie or aerofly to the buzz bomb.

If the silvers are in thick, like they were in Oak Harbor, I don't bother makin any modifications, not even replacing the trebles (don't fergit to mash them barbs down if it's required in the area that you fish).

In addition to spinners and B-bombs, Krocodile and Kastmaster spoons worked well and I even caught one on a Super Duper!

Hope this helps. And, if it's a net pen fishery, the fish will get stale (develop "lockjaw") pretty fast cuz they're lookin fer a river to spawn in that isn't there.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Roger

VERY Homesick in San Diego

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1012 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |