Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160703 - 09/25/02 06:28 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Just going to the buisnesses that provide the best value for my money. The fact that someone is local does not mean they deserve my buisness. If they wish to have me spend my money at their buisness it must be because they offer the best value, that value includes price, service and convenience among other things. I am in a buisness that has competition from all over the world. If the products and service we offer in comparison to our competition do not measure up our customers will and should go elsewhere.

#160704 - 09/25/02 07:01 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Just remember that the "high thrust" motors are designed to push a big boat slowly.

If you are planning to use your kicker to also power a small boat you don't want high thrust.

#160705 - 09/25/02 09:38 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Troutmaster, since I seem to have started a dealer war even though I didn't want to rolleyes I do have a business and sell my bagpipes all over the world, and yes even to Canadians, they are my second largest country for sales behind the US, and Scotland, the land of bagpipes, is third. I bring this non-fish crap up to demonstrate that I 'm willing to live with the free market system and compete on a price and quality basis with anyone. I bought my Yami from the Canadian dealer mentioned in this thread after doing a lot of research in Washington, Oregon, and BC. All dealers I contacted had the opportunity to offer their best price, and the best price is what I went with. I spend plenty per pound of salmon harvested already, mostly in Wahington - however, you dealers lobbying for a restriction on cross-border sales may well make me reconsider that mad

#160706 - 09/25/02 10:38 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
This is not only a dealer thing but rules set by Mercury and Yamaha. We are also not to sell outside of our area , Ie. I cant sell a motor to a customer in Arizona. And same with the dealer in Arizona. This is all stated in our dealer agreements with the manufacture. A small dealer has a hard enough time keeping going after shelling out the big $ for the motors and then trying to sell them at a profit.
So when someone wants the same price as they can get in Canada we cant compete as they sell below our cost! So baddawg you do the math! This is a very difficult buisness when it is so seasonal around here. We make our $ by giving the customer service.And we do good service at my shop.Enough said. Anyway buy a 4 stroke.

#160707 - 09/25/02 10:41 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Also one more thing,baddawg said they are the same motors! In some ways they are and in some they are not. Some models are different in Canada then here. Some parts are also different. So be sure you are willing to support their economy and not our local one.

#160708 - 09/26/02 01:42 AM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Another example.......Chevrolet will not honor warranty work done in the US on a truck originlly purchased in Canada. Canada's cars may have the same makes and models as US cars made by Chevrolet but have you seen some of them? Some Canadian cars look totally different than what we have in the US. confused

#160709 - 09/26/02 11:31 AM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
troutmaster, what are the significant differences in the motors? I don't mean part numbers, but actual differences? As for supporting the local economy, well I try to do what is best for my financial health. Buisnesses are not charaties, they are for profit and therefore must compete with other buisnesses for that profit. As for dealer restrictions you mention that you do not sell a motor in Arizona, but I am sure you could sell a motor to someone from Arizona if they walked into your shop with cash in hand. Shipping the motor may violate your agreements but the sale in your shop would not. I personally think that were I a retailer in this buisness I would approach my manufacturers and seek a wholesale price that would allow me to be competative with the other dealers in my area.

#160710 - 09/26/02 04:31 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Badawg, I honestly dont know the differences in the parts. Anyway this subject is closed as far as I am concerned.

#160711 - 09/28/02 12:27 AM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
cordog Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kent, WA
i had a brand new honda 4 stroke stolen off the back of my arima. chained and cabled down. boat parked in the front yard. only used a couple of time but it was the best darn motor i have ever owned. you could barely hear it when it was running. it also was electric start so it would re-charge batteries as well.

#160712 - 09/28/02 05:46 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
tav Offline
Egg

Loc: Olympia, WA.
It appears that this discussion about US residents purchasing Yamahas in Canada is pretty much a standoff between loyalty to US dealers verses the almighty COST factor. The continued practice of Canadian dealers to sell (export) to US residents is a non-compliance to the recent information that was sent to all Canadian dealers by Yamaha Motor Canada LTD. There are a couple of issues that are involved when units are sold to US residents. These include the inability of Yamaha Canada to contact the owner in the case of a Factory Modification Campaign or a Recall for a safety related issue. The next is the fact that the Canadian warranty is not valid in the US. Owner would have to return the unit to a Canadian dealer for repairs. Yamaha USA and Yamaha Canada are two separate sub-corporations of Yamaha Japan and fall under different rules and regulations. My statement to US residents purchasing a unit from a Canadian dealer is that once you make your purchase, do not bad mouth US dealers when you can not get service support. US dealers are under no obligation to service Canadian units. Also remember that specifications of units manufactured for sale and use in Canada are not always the same as those for the US. This means that emission standards may not be the same for both countries. Canadian models do not have a "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" which may be required for registration and licensing. I am surprised that Canadian dealers continue to expose themselves to the Product Liability possibilities that US citizens enjoy as a result of the US judicial system.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |