Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161056 - 09/29/02 05:22 PM Digital Cameras
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I am in the market for a digital camera. Time to hang up the SLR. I am impressed with alot of the pics on this BB with the quality and clarity of the photos.

I have narrowed my choice down to 4. (It changes daily)

1. Canon PowerShot S330 2MP Digital ELPH
2. Canon PowerShot A40
3. Sony DSC-P71 Cyber-Shot
4. Nikon Coolpix 775

I know there are better ones out there but what I am going to us it for I don't need the $1200 digital camera with all the bells and whistles.

I have played with the ones mentioned above in the store but it is hard to tell how it really performs on the outside. I have also read the reviews and it was helpful.

I am planning to get additional card, 8mb included with all these are not enough, thinking 64 to 132.

So any of you on here use any of the mentioned cameras?
Do you like or dis-like and why?

Is there a better choice then the ones I have been looking at for the same price range and options?

Any one have one and want to get rid of it?

#161057 - 09/29/02 07:06 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
They will all take "good" pictures. Consider the software that comes with the camera. I have a Hewlett Packard 315 ($150). Pretty basic camera. Great for up close fish and fisherman shots. The software that came with the camera is excellent and easy to use. You may want to consider buying a photo editing software program too, like Adobe Photo Deluxe. That program will help you shrink down photos so you can post them on this site.

#161058 - 09/29/02 07:36 PM Re: Digital Cameras
hungry_bear Offline
Alevin

Loc: kitsap county washington
Canon a40 is great. Takes alot of abuse. Mine goes camping and fishing all the time. 64 meg will give you somewhere around 150 pics depending on the resolution you set. Also I highly recomemend buying a card reader about ($25) it saves alot of time transferring photos from the camera to cd or whatever.
hope this helps.

#161059 - 09/29/02 07:54 PM Re: Digital Cameras
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I've found that the best camera's are those that are made by good SLR manufacturer's.

A 3 megapixel Canon,Nikon, or a Minolta is far and above better than a 3 megapixel Sony.

Alot of people like the Sony's cause of the floppy drive. With a new camera you might be lucky to put one pic on that floppy. When they first came out with it I could see it cause it was hard to find Smartmedia and Compactflash. Now you can head to any Wal-Mart, Target or Freddies and buy more memory.

I've got a cheapy HP camera and it's decent outside where it's bright out but it sucks inside, not enough flash. I've been looking at new ones and have decided my next one will be a Nikon. They seem to have the best options and the clearest and sharpest pics.

Now I've just got to save. smile

#161060 - 09/29/02 09:22 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the Canon's. Ive got a power shot A20 that ive had for a little over a year. Takes good pics that print very well up to 8x10. It also has been a tuff camera. It gets wet all the time, not drenched but it can take a little rain without killing it. Ive dropped it a number of times and it still keeps going (not in the water though). Its a 2.1 MP.

#161061 - 09/29/02 09:39 PM Re: Digital Cameras
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
You can't go wrong and won't be disappointed with a Canon. Got the PowerShot G1, but if I had to buy one today, I'd get the S40.

Get as large of a Compact Flash card as you can afford.

Always use the LARGEST image format when taking photos. You can ALWAYS shrink a large photo, but you can not always expend a small image.

Invest in 2 good sets of NiMh 1800 mAH rechargeable batteries and a good recharger. You won't regret that move.

#161062 - 09/29/02 10:43 PM Re: Digital Cameras
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I have the Nikon, and have been very happy with it. Takes great pictures, easy to use for the most part.

The one thing I am not happy with, is that the autofocus takes some time to zone in, which makes it difficult to get action shots. There may be something in the manual that I haven't found yet, but the camera requires a second or so for the autofocus to 'set', and until then, it won't shoot. So you can't just point and shoot it, or at least I haven't figured that out yet. This makes it hard, for example, to shoot a shot of a jumping fish. You can manage this, by pointing the camera and paritally depressing the shutter button, which causes the focus to set, and then hit the button when you want the shot. But that's a bit less convenient than my old film cameras.

Other than that, I'm in love with it. For grip and grin fish pictures, it is great.

#161063 - 09/29/02 10:45 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Divers Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the great info. I have been on the computer and going to shops all day looking at it.
The more I see the harder it is to choose so
I am choosing between the Canon A-40 or the S330. will know when I walk out. laugh
I will buy the 128mb flash and the rechargable batteries, I already have adobe photo shop.

#161064 - 09/29/02 11:12 PM Re: Digital Cameras
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
They have a Nihm charger now that does it in 30 minutes, thats the way to go.

#161065 - 09/29/02 11:39 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Just bought an Olympus c-4000 Zoom. Seeing the pictures on the board has also persuaded us into digital photography. Will let you know how we like it in a few months. Picking up the charger and 2 sets of batteries this week. Take care all.

Doubletake

#161066 - 09/30/02 02:00 AM Re: Digital Cameras
JIP Offline
Parr

Loc: CA
I agree and disagree with some of your comments. SLR manufacturers do make good digitals, but you can't say when comparing a Sony to Nikon, the Nikon is better.
I am a Nikon SLR user, in SLRs Nikon is awesome. Digital cameras aren't bad, but man, Sony is very nice too.
Did you know some digital cameras actually use Sony IC's?
Digital cameras are more electronic than just a lense. Nikkor lenses really good...
Well, back to digitals...
www.dpreview.com is a very nice and detailed digital camera review site. Go take a look.

Jack Ip
TackleTour
http://www.tackletour.com

#161067 - 09/30/02 06:04 AM Re: Digital Cameras
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I have the Canon Powershot G1 and absolutely love it. It's only fault is that it's a bit on the heavy side when carrying it in my vest. I would recommend the Canon Powershot S40 or S30 depending on your budget.

S30/S40 info

#161068 - 09/30/02 09:50 AM Re: Digital Cameras
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
Thumbs up on the A40.

#161069 - 10/01/02 03:29 AM Re: Digital Cameras
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I just recently bought a Nikon 995 and have used a Nikon 990 for a couple of years at work.
I opted for the Nikon 995 over the Nikon 775 and others because I just really prefer the cameras that allow me to control everything manually if I want (or need) to. I've shot lots of film cameras, from point-and-shoots to Canon EOS 1N's, to Nikon F5's, to 4"x5" studio cameras, and from tricky sunset shots to backlit shots, you can't beat a camera that lets you shoot full manual if you want to... but, if you don't need it, and if the smaller size is important to you, go with the 775 or one of the Canons. I've been doing lots of studio shots of tackle and such for the SU site, so I knew I was going to need a manual camera to get good results doing those.

I will say I got the 995 with a 16MB card, a 64MB card, two big lithium batteries, charger, case, cables, etc., for $500. Oh, and like someone else mentioned, get a card reader, they sure are handy.

-N.

#161070 - 10/01/02 09:14 AM Re: Digital Cameras
Divers Offline
Spawner

I have a Nikon N90 SLR I used for evrything but it is not practical to carry on the rivers.

I do like the Nikon Digital but the $ is too much, gotta save the $$ for more gear. laugh

I am ordering the S330 Elph ( I like the Small size).
Office Depot does have the A40 with 128mb for $299 right now

Thanks again for the imput.

#161071 - 10/02/02 12:16 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
I recommend the Sony sybershot that stores pictures and movies. I have had mine for a year and a half and I'm completely satisfied. Light weight fits in my shirt or waders pocket and uses the memory stick. takes great pictures.

#161072 - 10/02/02 10:38 PM Re: Digital Cameras
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
I own a new 4.0 megapixel Sony which is wonderful. 128mb cards at Costco...a card reader is a must. I would check out Kenmore Camera for the Cannon G2 which is now $100 off and has alot of great features. Less than 4.0mp will be like owning an old "Pong" video game in a few months. On the other hand the Canon line has some really small and rugged digital cameras that take great pictures and fit in your shirt pocket..good idea for out in the boat.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#161073 - 10/03/02 02:51 PM Re: Digital Cameras
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Someone finally mentioned the pixel count! Grandpa is exactly right, pixel count is what it's all about if you want quality pictures. Buy the highest pixel count camera that you can afford from a reputable company. Almost any camera store can show you pictures from various pixel count cameras for comparison. It becomes very obvious upon comparison that you want at least a 3mp camera for high quality pics. Good luck!

RM

#161074 - 10/03/02 04:06 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
I have the Nikon 775. Although it may not have the megapixels or some of the ease of use of the Canon models, I chose it because of its versatility and compact size. I am able to take macro pictures ( a very close up picture from as little as 1/2 inch away!) and have had great results from the different settings available as presets. The camera is fully adjustable, just have to go into the menu to do it. It is small enough to be carried in a fishing vest pocket or front pant pocket without getting in the way. Yes there is a delay in the focus to shoot time...but this is the same with all digital cameras. To get really fast response time you would have to go with a very expensive camera.

Also on a side note. This camera is very durable. Although I have not done this on purpose it has survived a 5 foot drop with barely a scratch and a hosing while washing the boat. Great camera for the money!

#161075 - 10/03/02 05:07 PM Re: Digital Cameras
Ratherbfishin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bainbridge Island, WA USA
The pixel count is important, especially if you plan to print any pictures. However, if your main use is to post pictures on the Internet , then it is not so critical becasue your monitor etc. has limits. You can get good Internet pics from a 1.3 or 2 pixel camera.

At least that's the way I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong!

One word of warning - you may get the dreaded "new gear jinx" after your camera purchase. I just bought one myself, and have not caught a fish since! rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
TrollKing, wateronthebrain
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 938 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645424 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |