LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161141 - 09/30/02 08:36 PM It's my dog's fault!!!!
Birdnest Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Did a little beach fishing at Deception Pass with my trusty dog. After a few hours of casting, a nice fellow offered me a few drops of anchovy scent and informed me of the perils of dog scent on your lures. Now I don't split atoms at my day job, nor do I put them back together on my night job, but this came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Fished the last couple hours of the incoming tide with a 2.5" green/white buzz bomb...nada.

#161142 - 10/01/02 11:48 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Might be a different story when them chum come a runnin

#161143 - 10/01/02 12:22 PM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Bears, human's and dogs emit L-Serine (an amino acid?) through the skin which fish associate with predators. This is why its recommended that you wash your hands thoroughly before and during any fishing trip.....especially if you have a strong predatory instinct such as myself. wink

#161144 - 10/01/02 11:57 PM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Well, now, I'm not sure that Iwould get too worried about it. I have a dog in my boat most days, but not always, and have never noticed a difference between the days when she's there and when she isn't. Besides, when's the last time your dog baited your hook?

But I do believe in the hand washing thing, big time.

#161145 - 10/02/02 01:29 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Them fish are responding to the action of your lure...they aren't gonna sniff it. Don't worry about a little Fido scent.

#161146 - 10/02/02 08:58 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Last July at Swiftsure one of the Canadian boats had a dog aboard that would start barking as soon as one of the rods started to jiggle. That dog was barking all day, didn't seem to affect their catching. I want one of those dogs!!!

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#161147 - 10/02/02 10:12 PM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I did a dog test today on the Skykomish, just to verify my prior assertion. I took two dogs, PredatorDawg and my four legged critter. PD (Steve) did his best to show me where the fish were, by crackering them wildly, then I did my best to show him what the net was for.

Score for the day, 3 steelhead to hand, 2 crackered, half a dozen whitefish, a couple of smolts, probably a dozen searuns risen, three or four to the boat, and a steelie coming to look at the cutthroat fly.

I'm calling this as proof that the dog smell doesn't matter, as we were petting Susie all day long.

And shaking the Dawg's hand didn't seem to scare the fish, either. wink

So, I wouldn't worry about fishing with your dog, from a catching standpoint. Please make sure that you know about salmon poisoning, however, for your dog's sake. Ask your vet if you don't know the details.

#161148 - 10/03/02 12:54 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have been fishing with a black lab and a blue healer as my main fishing partners for four years now and have not had a problem catching fish. smile best fishing partners I wil ever have.I think actualy I catch more fish with them than I ever did with a human partner.
\
Landing a big steelhead with a black lab barking at it is a problem though laugh

#161149 - 10/03/02 01:59 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
a <*}}}}< is swimming along and comes up to your lure "HOLLY CRAP! I smell a DOG!!, I ain't conna bite that lure!" eek eek eek

#1, A fish don't know what a lure is!
#2, I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen a dog or was taught about one in school (A Fish school laugh laugh ) Har Har
So how would it know what a dog smelled like from a fart??
That nice fellow that offered you some anchovy scent, Did he offer you some of what he was SMOKING also??? I'd like some too! laugh

Some people swear on using WD 40 on their lures, or sun tan oil. These are unnatural scents to salmon, but they seem to still catch fish? I think it all boils down to what makes you feel confident. Line, rod, type of snap swivel or how you wear your hat. Just get the lure in front of him and...BAMM!!!! laugh laugh
Remember..."He who cast the most, catches the most!"

Take your dog! wink

#161150 - 10/03/02 07:50 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
my black lab taught me a leson in the feathered flyers back yard a few years back.I had her sitting up in the brush as i was sneaking down the river bank using my poloroid glasses to determine if there were eek any fish in the gin clear river.After convincing myself that there were no fish in that run I signled the lab out of the bushes.As she bounded up the shore a half dozen steelhead cam out of hiding and swam into the deep headwaters of the pool.

#161151 - 10/03/02 03:42 PM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
Sullie Offline
Spawner

my grandpa has fished all his life and he says spitting on your bait will take the sent away. dont no if it really does take the sent away. he got me in the habit of doin it, so now i always spit on my bait.

#161152 - 10/04/02 01:04 AM Re: It's my dog's fault!!!!
Birdnest Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Silver Hilton---Thanks for the concern on the salmon posioning. I have heard a few stories that ended badly for the dog.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 807 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |