Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161332 - 10/02/02 08:07 PM Salmon Poisoning
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
Recently one of our Corgi dogs Lily became ill she stopped eating, runny stooles, lacky her go getum attitude
we took her to the vet. Salmon Poisoning was the diagnoses. lately I've been catching a few fish and burying the carcus in the compost well Lily pulled one out rolled on it to
smell real good and apparently eat some raw fish meat. Dogs can pick-up a parasite from the fish and if the parasite happens to contain a organism within called Helminthoeca they can die from this.
90% of the dogs that get this die if not treated in time. I don't mean to rave I just thought everybody needs to be reminded of this NW fall pheonomina you see I already knew about this I just got sloppy.

#161333 - 10/02/02 08:39 PM Re: Salmon Poisoning
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
When we lived on the beach,we had the same thing happen to our lab. He almost died from the poisoning. The only good thing to come out of the poisoning,was that the dog should not get sick if it happens again. The vet said they usually become immune after the first time. I don't know for sure,but it was next to impossible keeping our lab from rolling in dead fish.I'm sure he ate some when we weren't looking. mad

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#161334 - 10/03/02 01:04 AM Re: Salmon Poisoning
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have two girls one black lab and a blue healer.The lab is a clean dog that wants nothing to do with rotten fish the healer loves anything that stinks to high heaven.I am surprised that she has not gotten salmon poisining yet.

The lab has turned into a fish dog instead of a bird dog!It is fun to watch her in action!

#161335 - 10/03/02 01:30 PM Re: Salmon Poisoning
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
I went through that last year with my lab. The vet bill was not too funny, but I too was told that once they are treated, they have some immunity against the disease. Best part of mine was that the knucklehead raided the trash can to get to the salmon carcass. He smelled just lovely eek

#161336 - 10/03/02 02:14 PM Re: Salmon Poisoning
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bremerton,WA
Capt. Steelhead
Those corgis are crafty when it comes to finding food or anything for that matter. I call mine the scavenger. Glad to hear that she is ok,
I actually fed my dogs some freshly caught salmon this past spring. I thought they could only get salmon poisioning from dead and decomposing salmon. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. My dogs were lucky and turned out ok. But for those of you that did not know(like myself) the parasite lives in the salmon and can be transfered from a freshly killed fish. Do not give your dogs any uncooked salmon.

RAIN RAIN RAIN !!!!! What a beautiful thing.

devine

#161337 - 10/03/02 07:54 PM Re: Salmon Poisoning
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
My dauchsunds love the table scraps and I occasionally give them some "cooked / barbqued" salmon scraps. I had heard the "wives tail" about salmon poison to dogs and called the vet. He pointed out that the salmon has to be cooked.

#161338 - 10/03/02 08:04 PM Re: Salmon Poisoning
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I'm a vet and have treated several dogs for salmon poisoning. A word of caution: Don't assume that a dog with a history of salmon disease is immune. The immunity issue has never been proven. I met one person who claimed their dog got the disease twice. This is the time of year we see it. Usually the dog has been let to roam freely along a fish-bearing stream within the last week before coming in.

Tight lines,

WC

#161339 - 10/04/02 01:16 AM Re: Salmon Poisoning
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
My vet said that his experiences with salmon poisoning was that salmon form the Columbia R. and tribs carried that 'bug' ( my word) and that he hadn't encountered any cases from the northwest rivers..........

How about that Wild Chrome?? rolleyes

#161340 - 10/04/02 01:39 AM Re: Salmon Poisoning
Capt. Steelhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard,WA
My fish were all from the Skokomish, also as of yesterday, Lily is still not eating, and is still not out of the woods. But, All Creature in Gorst are excellent Vets and I'm sure she'll be okay. Thanks for all your support smile

#161341 - 10/04/02 02:01 AM Re: Salmon Poisoning
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Just a few extra words about dog poisonings..
Our German Shorthair got into some very old
lasagne/cheese that inadvertently didn't make
it to the garbage can. However, we weren't
really aware of what she had eaten around
2:00 in the p.m. When she got sick, she wouldn't go to hubby and by around 9:00 couldn't stand, had tremors and turned out to be very dehydrated.. When we took her in, they
called her a COMPOST dog. Dogs poke around in those piles that give off toxic gases that will
poison the dog. Also mentioned was slugbait
and then I remembered that I found the old cheese/lasagne.
When I mentioned that, The vet said there was no doubt
that was the cause. Moldy Cheese. We nearly
lost her that night. She slowly got better during the next day but still appeared to have a few tremors that afternoon. That also was
$500 later.

#161342 - 10/04/02 02:20 AM Re: Salmon Poisoning
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
Posh i also have a couple shorthairs, extremly tuff dogs, had one when i was kid get salmon poisoning and i think he went down to half his body weight,, ugly... heres a dumb question, and ive wanted to ask this for a long time but can a dog get sick from steelhead??

#161343 - 10/04/02 11:53 AM Re: Salmon Poisoning
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
My vet told me that salmon,trout and steelhead all can carry the bacteria.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#161344 - 10/04/02 12:47 PM Re: Salmon Poisoning
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Yes, steelhead and trout can transmit the disease as well as salmon.

Periwinkle,
The bacteria requires a particular species of snail as an intermediate host. This snail ranges from N. California into Washington. According to the diagnostic lab we work with in Portland, southwest Washington has the highest regional incidence.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |