LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#161742 - 10/07/02 01:38 PM 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
By the way, Barrier called and said they found my backpack. laugh Fished the Toutle Early yesterday and got ripped to shreds by what I thought was a pig silver. Turned out to be one of the brightest buck steelheads I've ever caught (not to mention a true native). My buddy and I estimated him to be around 12 or 13 pounds. Got a quick pic and sent him on his way. Didn't catch anything else on the Toutle yesterday but that made my trip completely worth it. I've never had a winterrun tailwalk like that. The tail was completely covered in lice. What an unexpected thrill. laugh laugh laugh laugh

#161743 - 10/07/02 03:05 PM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
...very cool, will look for picture

#161744 - 10/07/02 07:32 PM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
What made you "think" that the steelhead you caught was a "winter run" and not just a late wild summer run?

Cowlitzfisherman
Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#161745 - 10/07/02 07:48 PM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

12-13 pound native? sounds like a summer run to me. but who cares you still caught a chromer. thats what its all about!. FISH ON!

#161746 - 10/08/02 06:04 AM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Hoh gets a small number of fresh wild steelhead in late Sept through Early Oct. Ive caught a handfull Sea Liced mature looking fish from early sept through late October fishing for salmon. Very fat unlike your comman summer run ive always asumed they were a fall strain or very early element of the winter run. Ive never killed one so I dont know how far sexually developed they were. But some of the hottest fish I have ever caught. And most of them have been 8 to 14 pounds.

#161747 - 10/08/02 01:12 PM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i got a steelie on the green river last wed, it was a hatchery female which i think spawned in the river naturally, cuz she was skinny lookin..

#161748 - 10/08/02 02:26 PM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
At first, I thought it was a fresh summer run but everyone around me insisted that it was a winter fish. Who cares! It was unexpected nevertheless.

#161749 - 10/09/02 08:21 AM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
steelheadslayer Offline
Parr

Loc: Longview, WA
Fromcutts, my neighbor volunteers at the catch facility on the Northfork just above the mouth of the Green. Last week they had a winter steelie in the trap. So congrats on what i will consider your first winter fish of this year. laugh laugh

#161750 - 10/09/02 06:34 PM Re: 1st Winter Steelie of the year!!!!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Congrats! That would be one very early winter fish, but I believe it's possible. Having said that, it's nearly impossible to determine summer/winter stock of an individual fish during October because sexual maturity is so close to the same (in the case of wild fish). It comes down to morphometrics, that is, what does the body shape indicate. And that isn't foolproof, as a timing overlap like this easily allows for interbreeding among fish bound for the same area. I do remember catching a wild winter run in the Green once in early November, just above the Toutle confluence, back before St. Helen's blew.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |