Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162192 - 10/13/02 07:42 PM Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Have any of you hit the vedder recently? I know that by now it's stuffed with chinook, chum and coho, but suspect it's too low to fish worth a darn. I have a trip scheduled to go there next week but wonder it there's enough water to make it worth while. Any news?

#162193 - 10/13/02 08:47 PM Re: Vedder River
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I fished the vedder yesterday. It's stuffed with springs, and stuffed with anglers. I went up high and walked as far from the road as possible. It kind of worked. I only had to share a small hole with five other people. But I won't complain too much since I could see 40+ pound fish swim by all day.
I saw tons of kings caught, but no silvers. I could see some silvers swimming around, but no takers with the water conditions.
The water is very low and clear. I could see the bottom of even the deepest holes. ( or so i thought) When a helicopter flew low overhead about 200 fish darted out of the "clear" water into the shallows, and dissapeared back into the "clear" water as soon as it was gone. Amazing how that many 40 pound fish can dissapear into some choppy water.
Not ideal fishing conditions but I did manage to hook quite a few fish once I figured everything out. Probably hooked 30+ fish,landed 5. Smallest fish was mid 20's largest was 35. Not a great average, but I'll claim light leader and small hooks as my excuse for not sounding like a tota a total cracker .
The derby was this weekend. I stopped and looked at the top ten board for saturday. The leader was 45 I think? But all ten were 42 and over.
Do any of you keep the white kings. I released all mine. But a lot of people were keeping some of the brighter ones. Smokers? I'm going up again this weekend hopefully. Should I keep one?

hope that helps a little bit. ss

#162194 - 10/13/02 10:15 PM Re: Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Thanks for the report. That helped a lot. Were you above Slesse Park? What were you using for terminal gear? And were you using floats or bottom bouncing? Do you think they were biting or were they lined?

I'm headed up there Thursday and will fish Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Ii will probably fish the Harrison a day or two. Were the chums showing in the Vedder yet?

As for you question on the white springs, I don't know anyone who keeps them. They have a dsitinct smell - even the chromers. A few years back a friend kept a bright one from the lower river but he said it tasted awful. I haven't ever had one smoked.

I would attach a photo if I knew how.

#162195 - 10/14/02 02:24 AM Re: Vedder River
S W J Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I fished it friday off of Peach Rd. and saw similar to what solidsteel saw. Lots of fish and people. I did ok, comparing to the locals, I got three kings, biggest around 30 and smallest around 20. I did break off a fish that was over 40, I hooked it and it just sat in the current, and then decided to run, downstream...
As far as flossing fish, some are for sure, but Im not a pro flosser like the canadians, so the fish I caught were hooked in the bottom or top of the mouth. I did catch a bunch of chums too, and only saw a couple of silvers caught. Im going to fish it this tuesday I think, and possibly sunday, so if you want someone else to fish with send me a PM. good luck

#162196 - 10/14/02 02:56 AM Re: Vedder River
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I've only been up there a few times so I couldn't really tell you where I was. But I can tell you how I got there. From fred's tackle I went up to the bridge(I think this is where the vedder turns into the chilliwack?). Then I just followed the road along the river for a few miles until the river wasn't right next to the road. Then I got out and started hiking up river. I hope that made sense.
I was fishing with a float the whole time. A small hook(#2 or smaller) with a tiny bit of yarn seemed to be the best. Peach seemed to be the hot color. I was fishing a pretty deep hole, so I had the hook about 10 feet under the float with a little weight about 3 feet above the hook.
I would like to think that I was not lining any fish. A good number of the fish that I saw landed took the hook really deep in the mouth. And the water was clear enough to see the fish dart over and take the hook. But I did land one that was hooked on the outside of the mouth. I also hooked a huge king in the tail that stayed on about 15 seconds with 10 pound leader. Hopefully this doesn't start the dreaded flossing debate all over again smile
I'm trying to talk some of my buddies into going up friday-saturday or saturday-sunday. But I'll do a solo run again if I have to. I have never fished the harrison, might have to give it a try. Good luck up there! SS

#162197 - 10/14/02 04:53 PM Re: Vedder River
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Surecatch,

One word answer: GO!

#162198 - 10/14/02 05:41 PM Re: Vedder River
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The river is loaded with "springs" and it seems this year fish over 30 lbs are the norm and fish over 40 lbs are preety common. The chums are stating to increase in numbers and are rather eager biters. You been up yet 4salt?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#162199 - 10/14/02 05:41 PM Re: Vedder River
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bremerton,WA
I guess you had fun 4 Salt. I will be up there as well this weekend. I am going after those piggies. If you want to meet up at some point in time email me.
devine

#162200 - 10/15/02 03:05 AM Re: Vedder River
S W J Offline
Parr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Well, I couldn't wait, I fished it tonight for about an hour. Not as many fish, but I got a 10# hatchery coho.

#162201 - 10/15/02 12:26 PM Re: Vedder River
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Jerry,

Yep, I was there this last weekend. Water is LOW! Fish were EVERYWHERE though. I met up with Beek on Sat, and he took us to a fast water stretch away from the crowds that ended up producing pretty well. You are right about the size of the springs this year. We only hit 3 coho over the weekend, but lost count on springs and chums. Find a fast water chute with a little depth away from all of the people and you'll catch 'em till your sick of it, or your arm stops working! laugh

p.s. Jerry and Chris (Devine), I'll be there this weekend too. You want to try and hook up?

#162202 - 10/15/02 12:49 PM Re: Vedder River
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I'll let you know 4Salt, I was there Sat.,fished below Vedder Crossing about 1/2 mile.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#162203 - 10/15/02 01:11 PM Re: Vedder River
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

4Salt,

I am going up Friday after work. We can meet up whenever if for nothing more than a beer or two. Shoot me an email..... or I will shoot you one.

devine

#162204 - 10/15/02 07:24 PM Re: Vedder River
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
can anyone here give me directions up to the vedder, if i get directions i will plan a trip up to canada here by the next weekend..what # test are you guys using for the kings? eggs?? corky and yarn, or jus plain yarn, if you dont want to post here, you can email or private message me..thanks..

#162205 - 10/15/02 08:17 PM Re: Vedder River
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Taake I-5 to near Bellingham. Take exit for Lynden - Bellis Fair Mall - I think it's 256-A, its the first one past the K mart. Follow through Lynden to the border. TAKE YOUR PASSPORT!!!

Take Canada Highway 1 east to Chilliwack. Take exit for Cultus Lake at Cottonwood Mall. Follow road through Vedder Crossing to the bridge over Vedder River. The River road follows river upstream about ten miles. You can follow it downstream for about same distance.

Or when on Highway One headed west, take the Lickman Road Exit and go south till you hit the river.

Expect HUGE crowds. Use a float rod and flaot if you want to fit in with the locals. Its really hard to bottom bounce wjhen fishing with a bunch of flaot fishers. Anyway float fishing is MUCH more effective.

Stop by the Rainbow Country Inn for a Kokanee. See ye there.

Use good bright red eggs or just a dab or cerise wool. Many of the chinook are lined even if that's not what you are trying to do.

THe river will be full of BIG chums which will eat the same gear as the chinook.

There are also lots of silvers - locals know them only as coho. They will bit best on six lb leader, a number four hook and a tiny spawn bag or a medium sized Jensen egg. If you hook a chinook on this gear you will very likely lose it. Have fun and remember this is a crowded situation.

Try to be kind and considerate. Most Canadian anglers practice excellent river etiquette. We can take a lesson from them

#162206 - 10/16/02 03:13 PM Re: Vedder River
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
THANKS SURE CATCH, so is there problems getting thru the customs now??

#162207 - 10/16/02 03:44 PM Re: Vedder River
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

If we go to war there sure will be.....

#162208 - 10/16/02 04:09 PM Re: Vedder River
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

You'll need a Driver's license and proof of citizenship if required. Birth certificate, Passport, or voter registration card. Oh, and no felonies on your record. laugh

#162209 - 10/16/02 04:23 PM Re: Vedder River
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
How accessable is the river I was thinking of taking my father up their. He is just about 80 loves to fish and gets around good if the ground is pretty level or not to steep. Also where is a good place to stop and get a canadian fishing license. Do they sell them anywhere or at special stores.

#162210 - 10/16/02 05:34 PM Re: Vedder River
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

The river is very accessible. There is a city path that follows right along most of the lower river. Problem is that the ease of accessability is what makes it SO crowded. If you don't mind company you can go to the crossing, Peach or Lickman road access points. You can get a license at Fred's custom tackle in Sardis/Chilliwack. It's on the Vedder road, a couple of blocks from the crossing. You will see people of all ages and skill levels fishing. If your dad likes catching, and doesn't mind crowds, the Vedder is a good place.

#162211 - 10/16/02 05:36 PM Re: Vedder River
devine Offline
Juvenille at Sea

My brother helped a 70 year old man bring in a 55 pounder on Monday. So I say go for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |