Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162347 - 10/15/02 01:42 AM Lou say it aint so!!! NFR
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I just heard that the Mariners have released Lou Pinella from the last year of his contract so that he can pursue a job a little closer to home.

Does anyone know what managers are available?

I don't think that the M's are going to be much like the team we have grown to love over the last couple of seasons.

#162348 - 10/15/02 01:52 AM Re: Lou say it aint so!!! NFR
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
Jeese Vici, we think a like. eek ...someone please end it all!!! frown frown frown

Thanks For Saving Baseball in Seattle, Lou

#162349 - 10/15/02 01:54 AM Re: Lou say it aint so!!! NFR
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I've heard a couple names mentioned 1)bench coach John McLaren and 2) Dusty Baker, Baker's contract is over with S.F. at the conclussion of the W.S.

I hate to see Lou go but I can't blame him for wanting to be closer to family. I think he was also pissed upper management made no attempt to improve the team down the stretch.

Thanks for the awesome memories Lou, you will be missed. frown

#162350 - 10/15/02 02:00 AM Re: Lou say it aint so!!! NFR
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
...as posted earlier.

In one year, 1995, baseball was all but lost in Seattle and at the same time, baseball became this area's love.

Obviously, we have Sweet Lou to thank for saving baseball in Seattle.

With a bitter sweet ending to one of the great managerial runs in baseball history upon us who can blame him for leaving Seattle??

His desire to be close to his family is a driving force behind his leaving but I can guarantee you, if the M's ownership would have stepped up to the plate and givem Gillick (the best GM in baseball) the oppurtunity to better this team prior to the deadline, Lou would no doubt be managing another year in Seattle.

So who should guide this team next year?? Their has been mention of Bryan Price or John McLaren but in my opinion, the M's need a proven winner and leader to propel this team to the next level. They are an older team that is quickly running out of time so why gamble on leadership.

Bobby Valentine is a proven winner but he also carries alot of baggage and does not hold the integiry and the standards the M's franchise does.

Dusty Baker is a free-agent at this end of this year but if the Giants do not win the Series, I almost positive they will want Dusty back for another year to see if they can take it all.

Davey Johnson and Cito Gasten have been mentioned as well and Cito is a proven World Series winner but he does not have the fire I like to see in a baseball manager.

Too bad Buck Showalter was already scooped up as I believe he would have been an excellent match for this team.

We need a manager that knows how to play small ball, is more mature then his players (which Valentine is not) and at times can fire up an aging team.

Thanks for the memories, Lou and thanks for saving baseball in Seattle!!!

#162351 - 10/15/02 02:11 AM Re: Lou say it aint so!!! NFR
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
Ryan if you want to end it all I wil loan you what ever you need to get the job done.

I don't think that Dusty Baker will leave the Giants after the season he has had there.

Who ever they get he will have to be good. Art Howe and Scioscia are both real good, so I think sparkey is right they need to get a proven winner. Davey Johnson is a good Manager, but definately a jerk.

I don''t think that the team will look much like it has the last couple of years. Gillick gets to hire a new manager, try to resign Moyer, Olerued, and Wilson, decide what to do about Edgar's option year and sign players to fill the holes in left field and in the Pitching staff. Sounds like a pretty tall order to me.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |