LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#162834 - 10/21/02 04:27 PM What Happened to the Puyallup??????
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
It's like someone shut off the "fish faucet." It was dynamite and now is completely dead. Is anyone still hitting them down low. I fish up high but by the looks of things, I'd say it's about over. P.S. When do winter steelies begin showing @ the Queets/Bogie?

#162835 - 10/21/02 09:52 PM Re: What Happened to the Puyallup??????
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
The Puyallup has always been that way. But I have traditionally fished the tidal waters, not up high (except on rare occasions). Normally you'll have a few weeks of full runs, then dries up fast. I'm sure you can find pockets of them all over the upper river if you look.

I'd say good luck on coast. Unless we get rain I doubt they'll reopen the fisheries. Right now I do believe all of those you quoted are closed for now, but that may be for the salmon only, not steelhead. I haven't checked yet.

Northwest River Fisherman

#162836 - 10/22/02 06:32 AM Re: What Happened to the Puyallup??????
Anonymous
Unregistered

If we had normal flow conditions and a strong run (which is yet to be seen). You may accidently find a winter fish near the hatchery as ealy as now. I ushually start winter steelhead fishing the first week of November as im ushually sick of salmon. Its very hit or miss in early November and If I didnt live 5 minutes from the Bogie hatchery I wouldnt bother untill the end of November.

Ive caught my first winter Bogie brat as early as Oct 3rd and as late as Nov 21st. You just never know.

If we dont get good flows this year I wouldnt bother with the Clawah/Bogie. Low Flow means low escapement of hatchery fish no matter how many fish try and come. Last year was the first good year in the last 4 or so due to high flows. The only thing that saves this fishery is high water and if we dont get it it sucks.

#162837 - 10/22/02 11:59 PM Re: What Happened to the Puyallup??????
hookedonjigs Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
There are plenty of fish up higher, I think they tend to blow through the Puyallup, then go into more of a holding pattern up on the Carbon. I think what I enjoy most is float fishing eggs in some of the deep slow water. Caught two this morning 5# and 7#. The guy next to me was tossing lead and corkies and snagging fish. Both my fish were caught in the mouth. Learn to fish with a float and you can fish all the hard to reach spots next to root wads ect... Because we are approaching the end of the run you have to be willing to throw back some darkies until you get a chromer, but they are in there.

"Fishing is medicine for the soul."

#162838 - 10/23/02 12:04 PM Re: What Happened to the Puyallup??????
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
I saw a guy blatantly snagging fish on the Carbon also. He uses a double hook setup with a 10' pole. It wasn't bad enough that he was snagging, but when he got his limit, he snagged more and handed his pole off to his buddies.
There's nothing you can say to these guys, 'cause they don't care.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |