Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163925 - 11/01/02 12:38 PM WWTFD
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
What will the fish do?

Spent last weekend on the lower Hoh trying in vain to get coho to bite. In the lowest three holes on the river there were, in my estimation, at least a thousand fish trapped by low water. In the cliff hole I watched three seals chasing fish that ran the gamut from boot to chromer around the hole. Hundreds of them. Maybe thousands...

The questions that I can't help but ask are...If conditions continue to remain as they are through say late November, will the fish just die in the lower stretches of river? Will they eventually try to muscle their way through the three inch riffles? Will they try to spawn in the lower river? Will one good rain raise the levels enough to allow healthy fish passage or may it already be too late?

Just hoping to get some opinions from people who have may have witnessed a similar (but certainly not as drastic) low water/drought scenario...

#163926 - 11/01/02 12:46 PM Re: WWTFD
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I think the silvers are going to be okay for a bit ... they by nature by being creek spawners, tend to move a little better under these circumstances than the kings. We are seeing some silver migration, albeit quite slow.

The kings on the other hand, aren't going very far and they're actively spawning in the lowermost sections as we speak. What few didn't get picked off by the nets (more so in the Quillayute than the Hoh) are spawning right in the middle of what would normally be a mini-Mississippi.

If we get some big storms to follow these low water, the reds without a doubt will suffer some scouring in these areas ... not good news for future runs.

A little good news, early models indicate that at the end of next week ... we may get some normal November type weather wihich would be a real Godsend right now!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#163927 - 11/01/02 01:04 PM Re: WWTFD
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
I was definitely thinking in terms of the kings, we watched several large pods of silvers skitter through the riffles in the evening between Nolan's and Cottonwood....it wasn't easy but they were doing it. Pretty impressive display of the urge to spawn really.....I scouted a spot below the dead end and found one hole full of bootish silvers.

What we didn't see beating it through the riffles were kings. Sad really that in a year where the King runs were supposed to be better than average the fish have to suffer through environmental hardships the likes of which haven't been seen on the Hoh in seventy-five years.

Let's hope the long range forecasts aren't based on computer models...seems there is always two days of rain forecast at the end of every week.

I talked with an upriver old timer this weekend who said they'd never seen it like this...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 844 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645380 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |