Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163998 - 11/02/02 04:06 PM Hoodsport Update
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

Loc: Portland, OR
Did the tribes net Tues/Thurs? Anyone care to share what it was like up there today (Saturday) or after a trip up there tomorrow (Sunday)?

#163999 - 11/02/02 07:41 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
One word....SPECTACULAR! Chums were every where. Three of us, in my friends boat, landed at least 30 fish. All released all except for five. Man, my arm is sore. :p

#164000 - 11/02/02 07:49 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
All fair hooked? Just wondering how they are biting or if most of them are zombies...

#164001 - 11/02/02 08:15 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

I wonder the same thing. I'm from Portland and haven't fished chum that much. I've seen them real aggressive in river, literally chasing down your corkie. But up at hoodsport I've always wondered if I was just flossing them or if they were actually going for it. Do you think that most of the fish legally caught up there are taking the bait? I know that this is kind of a can of worms but inquiring minds want to know.

#164002 - 11/02/02 09:20 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Flossed!! Alot of fun to catch, but nonetheless flossed!

RM

#164003 - 11/02/02 10:38 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
philpac33 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: offut lake/lacey
i've flossed more chums in the past month than i have my own teeth in the past ten years

#164004 - 11/02/02 10:40 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

So what about these guys talking about fishing a herring or jig under a bobber - those fish probably aren't flossed.

#164005 - 11/03/02 02:10 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Fisher,

I tried a jig underneath a bobber many years ago at Hoodsport, also tried various chum flies with absolutely no success whatsoever. Several times I had the offering with literally hundreds and hundreds of fish near it with no take whatsoever. I'm sure there are guys on this board that are getting chums to bite, perhaps when the fish are still very bright. From my experience, however, nearly all have been flossed. I don't fish Hoodsport anymore because of the rude crowds that gather there, just not my type of fishing. Wish you luck!!

RM

#164006 - 11/03/02 08:52 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
The problem with the snag zone is that the fish are out of there element.They are running scared and wanting to reproduce not feed or deal with the instinct to do so.

I have had fair success with hearring at times in a spot I fish that doesn't have a snag zone hence alot less traffic.Trying to do it in an area with alot of preasure has never done me any good.

#164007 - 11/03/02 10:45 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
3/0_in_my_eye Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
I was curious, so I tried the snag zone yesterday. Wow. The words that come to mind are "obscene" and "chaotic." There are so many fish, its impossible to tell what the heck is going on with your line. I have a very, very, very hard time believing any of those fish "bit" at anything, but there is no way to tell for sure. I felt some whacks at my line that were strike-like, but they could have been tails, or other lines, or anything...

#164008 - 11/03/02 10:48 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

My limitted experience at Hoodsport has told me that probably most if not all of the fish are flossed. But it seems like most people seem to at least pretend otherwise. So the real skill you need up there is flossing huh? Is it better to go river fishing for them, like in the Skok or something? I have definitely had chum chase down a corkie and hammer it river fishing down here so I know they will given the right conditions.

#164009 - 11/03/02 12:03 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
bluenote Offline
Smolt

Loc: cloud 9
here's a dumb one - whats flossing rolleyes

#164010 - 11/03/02 05:43 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

Its when the goal isn't to have the fish see the lure and bite it, but rather to get the leader into the fishes mouth like dental floss. Hopefully the hook will wind up embeded in the fishes mouth somehow, whether through its own movement, your detection and strike, having the line caught in its teeth, or a combination of all of the above. It's not really as sporting or exciting as actually having fish take the bait, but some fisheries are mostly a floss fishery.

A prime example of this type of fishing is Jim Teeny sight fishing for salmon or steelhead in riffles and flossing them with his nymphs. There's a real skill to it - you just have to decide if its the kind of skill you want to spend much time developing. When its the only way to catch fish because they simply aren't biting, what else do you do? Either stay home or floss.

#164011 - 11/03/02 10:49 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Today, there were a lot of snaggers out at the Zone. Guys using Buzz Bombs and Pt. Wilson Darts. Some of the fish were kept and some were released. I stayed with corky and yarn. Most of my fish were hook-in-mouth, very few snagged. I don't know why but the chums really seem to like the clown colored corky and yarn and would strike at it. BTW, I use a 12" leader. Is that considered flossing? what

#164012 - 11/03/02 11:11 PM Re: Hoodsport Update
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Ive never fished Hoodsport or cared to for that matter after hearing some of the stories, but why does DFW keep this "snag zone" open?? All it creates is a bunch of degenerate slack jawed snag maggots! These people take their floss/snag techniques to the steelhead holes and other places they shouldnt be in. Something needs to be done about the terminal fisheries in this state(zoo creek,tokul,reiter,bogey etc...) and the ethics of some of the people who use them.

sorry for the ranting but leave the trash fish(chums) alone and catch a real fish mad
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#164013 - 11/04/02 12:07 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
We fished Saturday also. Didn't do as well as Carl do to our anchor which was much to short. We don't use our boat too often so we weren't really prepared. But we did catch and release about 10 on corkies.

#164014 - 11/04/02 12:38 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
We fished Saturday and it was a zoo. Lot of fish and people.

#164015 - 11/04/02 12:39 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
Fisheromen Offline
Fry

A 12" leader?! So do you just leave it sit on the bottom or is it a slow or jigging retrieve or what? Maybe the biters are closer to the bottom? That is very interesting. Well, I'm going tomorrow, fortunately I've got some clowns corky stash.

BTW, what size hook? I bought #1's so I can use them elsewhere too but they seem a little small for chums.

#164016 - 11/04/02 12:55 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
Bank Walker !

Get a life ; then get a boat and catch some real fish.

Herm

#164017 - 11/04/02 02:41 AM Re: Hoodsport Update
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Trash fish? Dam, i'd rather catch a 10lb chum than a 10lb chinook. Is it the fight or the flesh?

We hit it today and saw everyone with a fish on except us. We tried everything. I got 4 huge rock cod on 3" purple tube jigs. That was it though.

We couldn't believe all the fish being caught so we payed a little closer attention and almost everyone was using a buzzbomb in 10Ft of water. How could you not snag them? Everything from that point on we saw was snagged and most kept.

I did see a 25lber and a few 10-15lbers caught by this one guy that was using just a green corkie with a 2 foot leader. Big deal, but he was plunking it. No doubt there on if he snagged/flossed or not.

After a while we swithched to small buzzbombs and third cast i snagged a 15lber, buddies 4th cast he snagged another so we just left. Very dissapointing to say the least. computer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |