LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164823 - 11/11/02 12:17 AM Our visit to the Sol Duc Hatchery today ...
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Kind of an interesting visit to the Sol Duc Hatchery today. Was a lot of fun watching the masses of older summer silvers as well as some fall make their way into the hatchery creek (Spring Creek).

Loads of fish laying in the ponds ... some of them couldn't live with this being the end of their journey and were doing their best to jump the fence ...

If you'd like to see some video of fish milling around and trying to leap over the fence, click here for a 3.94 Meg video download.

The fish were still piling in as well ... we sat at the creek mouth and watched them work their way up the staircase of pools ...

On a depressing note. I witnessed perhaps the most blatant act of poaching and worst way to teach a youngster about the outdoors today. This too, right at the hatchery creek mouth ...

We had run across the guilty folks as we walked in. Initailly, we tried to be quite polite. We simply asked them if a river opener had been announced. The fella said "No, but the kid caught it anyhow." and laughed. I made mention that the river was closed to all fishing and his response was "I don't give a sh&*!"

I snapped this pic as they went back to their rig ... Kudos to the hatchery employee for giving the local gendarme a call with their plate number and description (of that tan Toyota 4Runner).

Hmmm, and we wonder why many of the kids today have such poor moral values?? fridge

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#164824 - 11/11/02 01:03 AM Re: Our visit to the Sol Duc Hatchery today ...
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
To bad you did not get a snapshot of their faces. I know you were probably concerned about your personal safety otherwise you would have gotten a picture of their faces.

#164825 - 11/11/02 02:55 AM Re: Our visit to the Sol Duc Hatchery today ...
Josh Offline
Smolt

Loc: Forks
It seems kind of stupid to me to be carrying a fish through the hatchery parking lot while the rivers are shut down. huh

#164826 - 11/11/02 08:54 AM Re: Our visit to the Sol Duc Hatchery today ...
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I saw the same thing sat on the Dewatto.I went to school with this guy.He had his boy,probably 4-5 years old.I showed up and while we were talking the boy was busy snagging fish.Dad finally tried to explain to the boy that you do not snag them it is against the law.The boys answer was "but dad you do!" eek

I fished that river three times last week and I have to say that the state opening it up for a silver meat fishery was a big mistake.It is not big enough for one guy to fish,let alone a horde.Every trip I run into guys filling the woods with blatentlly[pencil lead and trebble hooks] snagged fish.

Basicly said the state killed the major tribs to the hood canal so they turn everybody loose on the few little ones left that have any fish so they to can suffer the same demize. mad beathead

#164827 - 11/11/02 06:12 PM Re: Our visit to the Sol Duc Hatchery today ...
seaweed Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: under the sea
fishy
This needs to be brought to the top.
I hope that a lot of people think about
the focus of this picture. Who breaks the cycle?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (NOFISH), 1178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |