LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165386 - 11/15/02 12:01 AM Bite turned off????
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
Hey, I've been fishing a stretch on a puget sound river that has been loaded with chum. The first week or so, I averaged about 20 fish a day. It was a blast and I caught a ton of chum. But I go there today, look into the water, and as usual it's loaded with fish. But they wouldn't bite at all!!! I caught 2 the whole time. The only differences i noticed today was there were a lot more silvers, (dark fish) and it had rained the past couple of days. Anybody have any ideas why the fish jsut stopped hitting all of a sudden???

#165387 - 11/15/02 01:11 AM Re: Bite turned off????
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Chum do that - I noticed on the thread about the Zone that the bite would turn on and off seemingly at random. I had that happen to me last Monday on Kennedy Creek - Fish just quit on me for about an hour - even though right next to me others were catching them on corkies (well, not always in the mouth rolleyes ) until a half hour before dark - then the bite turned on with a vengance and I started hooking them on every other cast with my fly. It was interesting that about the same time they quit biting corkies. Chum are wierd and will drive you nuts beathead

#165388 - 11/15/02 01:14 AM Re: Bite turned off????
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Yup. umbrella

#165389 - 11/15/02 05:34 AM Re: Bite turned off????
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: lacey, Wa.
That happens all the time. When fishing for Chums everyone likes using the same old drift gear. Green Corkie and yarn. Try using something no one else is using. Spinners, spoons or a different color no one else is using. Last week at Hoodsport I was using pearl pink corkie and was catching alot of hen chums. Then I quickly noticed that the other fisherman around me started using the same when they noticed how good I was doing. Another overlooked trick is the use of scents. I use smelly Jelly or WD-40. laugh

#165390 - 11/15/02 07:45 AM Re: Bite turned off????
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
scents are good, ive been using anise oil

#165391 - 11/15/02 12:50 PM Re: Bite turned off????
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Sturza,

You probably answered your own question. A week ago those chum were most likely just arriving from the salt and were more agressive. Now that they've been in the river a while, the spawning urge is really taking over, plus the fact that stacked up salmon rapidly develop lockjaw, especially when they've been pressured.

#165392 - 11/16/02 02:57 AM Re: Bite turned off????
Erndog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Covington
Last year I read a report in the Seattle Times that using Shrimp scent gets the chums to bite. Last year and this year on the Satsop Buddies and myself were using shrimp and we were hooking 90% are fish in the mouth. People around kept asking how we were getting the fish to bite. Like the fisherman rules if one thing isn't working try another.

Fish on

#165393 - 11/16/02 03:47 AM Re: Bite turned off????
Fishaddict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: lacey, Wa.
One last thing

Chums are plankton feeders. USE SMALL CORKIES!!! If the water is clear like at Hoodsport, I use size # 12 corkies. Dirty water such as the Nisqually I use a bigger corkie so they can see it. Perfect example of this is are the fly fisherman you see at Hoodpsort. Ever talk to them and see what their using. Small green flies and they get hookups all day long.

#165394 - 11/16/02 05:28 PM Re: Bite turned off????
egg goober Offline
Juvenille at Sea

i have to say fishaddict is right on the $$$. you better suck up the good advise! some people won't do that for you.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |