Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165395 - 11/15/02 12:41 AM Float tubing Hoodsport
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
I was wondering if anybody float tubes Hoodsport. I'm not real hot on the combat fishing scene and was wondering if you could safely get out on a float tube to fish it. I've never fished it before but love catching those dawgs! Any .02c would be appreciated.

~steelymann~ slap

#165396 - 11/15/02 12:57 AM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
On the weekends there are always at least half a dozen guys tubin' the Zone. They will tend to stay on the north side of the Zone, close to shore, away from the landlubbers. Just watch out behind you when you are moving along. I have seen several guys run into the boats that are anchored. rofl

#165397 - 11/15/02 01:09 AM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
What are they fishing with from the tubes? Corkies and yarn or are they slow trolling or what? confused

~steelymann~

#165398 - 11/15/02 01:53 AM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn
I fished the zone last weekend with my wife from the bank. Tommorrow morning (friday) I will be there in my tube. Can't wait. With the fight these fish give it might be interesting. I also am one that stays north of the zone. Man it just is crazy right in that area.

#165399 - 11/15/02 09:28 AM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
havnfun Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacomca,wa,pierce
if u tube the zone it is nice to have not forget your anchor(i use a halibut wt.) the dogs can be a handful near the tube and your feet,also while removing the hook watch your rod tip! fishy

#165400 - 11/15/02 12:07 PM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Ditto on the anchor. Not only the pull of the fish, but also the wind and the current will push you around. Also, give some thought to how you're going to land the fish. If you don't take a net, you'll end up wrestling the fish onto your lap. If you're going to pitch gear, a short handled rod works better than a long handled rod - the long handle tends to get in the way. A flyrod is nice, but it's so long that it makes getting the fish near enough to you to land it a challenge sometimes. Those last couple of feet are often the most challenging and also where rods get broken. But it is a hoot. Good luck!

#165401 - 11/15/02 05:17 PM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Just got back and I wished I had an ANCHOR. For about an hour and a half I faught the wind and current and said the hell with it. Fished the bank and did well.

So yes if you float get an anchor or be ready for your leg workout.

#165402 - 11/15/02 07:46 PM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

FT, when were you there, this morning? I was there also. Were you the lone tuber? I walked out and did not see any LIVE fish. So, I picked up and went to the beach north of the Zone and had a good day there. At one point I casted six times and caught six fish.

#165403 - 11/15/02 09:25 PM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Floatuber Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Carl,

That was me. Green tube. Just got sick of kicking against the breeze and current. I settled for the bank and hooked around 12 fish but only brought 2 home.

Man that bank crap is so rediculous. My spot where I was fishing had about 500 dead fish piled and guess what? ALL FEMALES SPLIT OPEN. Not to mention they didn't take their trash, coat, rubber gloves.....I like to fish legally but now I see why the Wardens don't care down there. Why should they when the indians kill more fish in one SCOOP than every illegal Washintonian could in the whole chum run?

I have indian in me and I have to admit I am appauled at that. How inconsiderate. Is it like that every year? How do we have such a good return if they scoop that many fish times 1000?

What can we do? NOTHING!!!!!!

#165404 - 11/15/02 09:36 PM Re: Float tubing Hoodsport
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Did you see the guy picking dead fish off of the bottom and throwing them in his boat? What is that all about?? The Zone bottom is covered with dead fish after the netters have their way, every year. Pretty nasty to say the least. I am sure WDFW does not care because that hatchery gets a massive return of fish. They have already collected their egg quota for the year.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645461 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |