Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166015 - 11/19/02 12:22 PM Fishing ? Please help
Slam Offline
Fry

Loc: kelso, wa, USA
This might be a dumb question to some of you, but I've only been fishing for 3 years now and this year I'm finally starting to catch fish, still have lots to learn though. I was throwing wigglers off the bank on the cowlitz this morning and hooked into what might have been my largest fish to this point, it was a very big fish and he started to take alot of line, I had to yard on him a little to keep him out of a log but once I got him within 20 yards or so he would'nt buge, I could'nt get him any closer, and after 10 minutes or so I lost him. I was useing a 8'6" GL2 medium action and it took all I could from breaking it. My question is how do you know if your yarding a fish in to hard, and if you have tension on the fish and he just wants to stay in one spot is that wearing him out, because it seems to me that he might be resting up, I don't know. What should I have done. Sorry so long winded, but would appreciate any help it really sucked looseing that fish.

#166016 - 11/19/02 12:38 PM Re: Fishing ? Please help
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Best guide is simply expirence. Sonds like yoid i about right. Sometimes the fish wins.

If you want to get technical get a good spring scale and set your drag at about 1/3 of the breaking strength of the line. String your rod, tie the line to hook on the scale then pull back until your drag slips at about 1/3 strength of line. If you are using 15 lb line, set drag so when line is going through the guides to the fish your drag will slip at 5 lbs pull. Once you do that you will surprisd at how hard you can pull to only move the scale to 5 lbs.

One other consideration is the type of line and knots you use. Some knots like the Palomar are nearly 100% breaking strength. Others will not hold up so well. Some lines like Maxima are waaaay under rated. i.e. what they call 15 lb test will break around 20. Others like Ande Tournament actually break at or near the stated pound test. Hope that helps a bit.

#166017 - 11/19/02 08:51 PM Re: Fishing ? Please help
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Too many of them get away beathead

Seriously, it sounds like you did things just fine. Depending exactly where the hook is, it can be very different from fish to fish as to how much control you'll have over them on the end of your rod.

One trick that many anglers don't use ... play the fish with the rod tip LOW. That means turning the tip over to the side or even under the water's surface and then trying to pump across current flow more than up in the air. You'll be surprised how much better they'll often behave!

It's a trick that we often have to use to work big fish and it also tends to reduce the number of instances that a fish trows your offering whil shaking it's head on top of the water ... they'll usually stay down a little better for you as well!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#166018 - 11/19/02 09:29 PM Re: Fishing ? Please help
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
Been there buddy. Especially @ the cowlitz. You never know what you're going to hook into down there.
I had this same problem a few years ago. Like Bob said, my trick has been to keep the rod tip low. It's possible that you may have foul hooked that fish as well. When you've got a fish in the chops (the preferred method) smile Keep that tip low but NEVER point it toward the fish. I like to stick mine under water and pump it a couple of times. 99% of the time I am able to get the fish to turn around. If your fish was indeed stuck, try holding your tip up high. If it's moving frantically, it isn't stuck. If it feels snagged, let your line go slack. Many times a fish will wiggle out of a snag fairly easily. Another trick is (I've done this at the Cowlitz) to find a large boulder and throw it where you think your fish is lodged. Sometimes it'll spook em straight to your feet. Anyhow, never horse a fish. At the cow I like to throw 12 # line with 10 # maxima leader. I am usually able to land my fish rather quickly once I get them turned around. Remember, keep that tip to your side and gently pump. If he won't cooperate, you've probably got him in the wrong spot.
Best of luck
Cuttie

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |