LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#166965 - 11/26/02 04:14 PM Digital cameras for use on the river?
riverdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I am in search of a digital camera for use on the river. I have never owned one and I want something that delivers a good enough image to enlarge to maybe 8 x 10 at the most. I just don't want to end up with a once in a lifetime shot and not be able to have a quality image. I am also thinking about a waterproof case or camera with that built in. If anyone out there has used something or knows about a great setup I would appreciate the info. I know that if I could buy several cameras and use them a while I would know what suits me-but I can't. Cost is a factor but performance is a priority. Also considering size as a factor-the smaller ones that fit in a pocket like the Canon Elph S230. Thanks all-fish on!

#166966 - 11/26/02 04:24 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
I use the Nikon Coolpix 775 digital. Picture quality is great, good at 8X10. Best part is the camera is full of functions and small enough to put in a flyfishing vest pocket. There also was a thread about digital cameras a while back....use the search function to check it out. Lots of good tips and lots of subjective opinions.

#166967 - 11/26/02 05:52 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Do a search on this and the "other boards" on digital cameras. Seems this very question pops up at least once every other month.

I've posted on this subject a bazillion times. I seem to re-hash the same old info time and time again. Oh well, one more time won't hurt anybody! smile

First off, check out www.dpreview.com. Bookmark this site! Now! No matter what you buy, make sure you check the reviews off of this site. Do your homework and do some comparisons. This site RULES for that kind of information!

You mentioned that you want a 8x10 image. I'll go on the notion that you want to PRINT this large of an image (you don't mention print in your post).

Large images REQUIRE lots of information. For example, my 3 MegaPixel camera will take a 5x7photo at it's highest resolution. Oh sure, I can use programs such as Adobe Photoshop to get a 8x10 print, but the printed out photo won't look nearly as nice as one that came from a 4 MegaPixel Camera.

Images for the web require minimal information. A lowly 1 MegaPixel camera is fine for the web. It's the printing part that kills ya!

With that in mind, I'd recommend a 4 MegaPixel camera or higher. Unfortunately, now we're talking some serious coins.

Memory: Personally, I prefer a camera that doesn't have it's own propriatary memory technology (Sorny). Of the two (Smart Media and Compact Flash), Compact Flash tends to be cheaper, easier to find, and is more of an industry standard. I would chose a camera that took a Compact Flash Card. Since your camera will come with a small card, you'll want to go out and buy a 256MB card.

Spend the $20 and get a USB Compact Flash Card reader.

Batteries: You'll want good, rechargeable NiMh batteries and a charger. Buy 3 sets, as you'll go through them like water. Or, if you buy a Canon, they use their own high end video cam corder battery. Lasts all day and then some!

My overall recommendation for a 4 MP camera would be the Canon PowerShot S40. Or, if you're really into digital photography and want more manual features, get the Canon PowerShot G2.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 995 at work, and a Canon Powershot G1 (older 3 MP camera). Personally, the Nikon is a great camera for Macro stuff, but lacks in most other features and image quality. I'd go with a Canon.

Buy yourself a padded Pelican Case. 100% waterproof and with the foam padding, your camera won't get destroyed when you toss the case around. Unless you're going scuba diving, external waterproof housings are not a valid option.

#166968 - 11/26/02 07:40 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
If you're going to be packing it with you in your vest, you'll want something small, light, and durable. Go with a Canon. They have aluminum casing so they're very durable, they're picture quality is second to none, and they make the smallest cameras in the industry.

Click here for a complete list of Canon cameras

Depending on what size/price you want, I'd go with the Powershot S30 or S40 or the slightly smaller S230 or S330.

#166969 - 11/26/02 08:37 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
I think Parker has got it down...The Cannon G2 is a great camera and is $100 off as it is being replaced. I don't necessarily agree with the storage card advise though. I have a Sony 4.0mp camera and find the Sony storage card just fine and easily purchased everywhere, even Costco. If you had several cameras you would probably want the more universal memory card but that is not a deciding feature in my mind. The 4.0megapixel and up cameras will take better pictures than most people's monitors can do justice to and certainly most printers. Download to a CD and have a good camera shop make enlarged prints or Kinkos on a professional laser printer...The Canon Elphs are also great for a pocket camera...I used one of those the other day on a river in a downpour and fogged up the lense....There are some real good deals out there right now.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

#166970 - 11/26/02 08:49 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I'd go with Canon also. Just bought one (S300) at a discount through a friend that works at Canon. The Elph is great, small enough to fit anywhere and takes good pictures. Canon also makes a waterproof case for the elph's that is good to a depth of 100ft...perfect for taking steelheading never needing to worry about getting wet or dirty. The product # is WP-DC100, the employee discount price is $100, not sure what retail is. Good luck.

#166971 - 11/27/02 12:19 AM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Quote:
Originally posted by Yakutat Jack:
I'd go with Canon also. Just bought one (S300) at a discount through a friend that works at Canon. The Elph is great, small enough to fit anywhere and takes good pictures. Canon also makes a waterproof case for the elph's that is good to a depth of 100ft...perfect for taking steelheading never needing to worry about getting wet or dirty. The product # is WP-DC100, the employee discount price is $100, not sure what retail is. Good luck.
Any chance you could get a couple more? I'd be willing to throw in an additional $50 for yourself beer

#166972 - 11/27/02 01:42 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I wish...I milked this connection enough already ordering 3 cameras for me, niece and sister. I think I tapped all my favors. The good news is prices are falling rapidly, the S200 is down to $2 something...watch for more deals before xmas.

#166973 - 11/27/02 01:42 PM Re: Digital cameras for use on the river?
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett,WA,USA
I have a Canon S30. It has the same guts as the G2, but less 'pro' features like a flash hot shoe, etc. It also has a little less resolution sensor, at 3.2mp. The size is perfect for fitting in a vest pocket, and it takes killer photos. I found it was a great compromise between high quality photos and extra high price. I highly recommend Canon, especially for what you said you want it for.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |