THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167508 - 12/02/02 07:42 PM Who taught you to fish?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
For me, my Grandpa taught me freshwater species,and the saltwater it was my Dad. smile
I don't know why, but all my Grandpa fished for was freshwater fish,and just the opposite for my Dad.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#167509 - 12/02/02 07:50 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
For me it was my Grandma. She fished to live. She would always catch fish no matter what, or at least seemed so.

She passed early this year. She never did make it out on the new boat, but her old reliable pole makes the trip. We use it once every trip, just so she knows she is still with us. The pole is about 40 years old. But that fiberglass still brings in the big Salmon like it was nothing.

Sure miss her, but am glad she taught me what life really was.

#167510 - 12/02/02 08:55 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
My grandpa introduced me to steelhead fishing in his drift boat on the cowlitz when I was 8 years old or so. I still remember reeling in steelhead that he hooked. I however taught myself how to fish by reading Herzog's and Vedder's books and by just being on the river. So I started 8 years ago and haven't looked back. laugh

#167511 - 12/02/02 09:29 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
dustywaders Offline
Alevin

Loc: south sound
for me, it was my dad and grandfather, growing up in ct, i was introduced to stripers, bluefish, and lots of flounder, I feel like i spent half my childhood sitting on the floor of my dads, boat as we journeyed around L.I sound, then my uncle took me to Maine and taught me the in and outs of trout fishing for a summer. also i can't forget the bluegills and sunnies we chased around the local lakes. still have my grandfathers deep sea rod. it is a real reminder to me. fishy

#167512 - 12/02/02 09:30 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
My Grandpa taught me to fish with a flyrod in eastern Washington when I was probably 3 or 4. He used a flyrod for everything, flyfishing, baitfishing, even trolling for macs with lead core line. I caught my first trout on single eggs, but as soon as I was able to handle the rod a little better he taught me to tie flies and flycast. I caught my first steelhead on a fly I tied myself - it was a colored up summer run and I thought it was a huge trout. I was probably 10 or so before I even handled any kind of tackle other than fly gear, when I did it was a green hornet (direct drive, no drag or free spool) and a Payless special Eagle Claw rod that I caught my first winter steelhead on. We had just moved to Tacoma and a fellow who worked for my dad had a "MacKenzie River" boat that he would take us out in - this was in the late 50's and there were no boats on any of the rivers. He taught us both about drift fishing, and a few years later, early 60's or so, about pulling plugs - whenever we saw another boat though he made us pull in the hotshot and hide it zip I picked up salmon fishing about the same time - my dad bought a boat and we attempted to learn how to mooch in Puget Sound, which mostly invloved catching dogfish, it was a couple years before I finally picked up enough info from every fishing magazine and publication available to move beyond the cracker stage - from then on I taught Dad how to fish rolleyes

#167513 - 12/02/02 09:41 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
DeKuma
Sorry to hear about your grandma passing away. The way you said it sure makes it sound like she really like to fish. I would bet that she had her own spot on the boat to.

For me, well my dad taught me how to cast a fishing pole. My grandpa taught me how to slay them ocean silvers.
Everyone on the river taught me how to bonk a few salmon and steelhead in fresh water. Thanks to all!
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#167514 - 12/02/02 10:39 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I guess I was self-taught more or less...my mother's stepfather sparked my love of fishing and I just ran with it.

Read as many books as I could find and at one time was a subscirber to a half dozen or so magazines.

When I aged and was around experienced fisherman on a more consistent basis, it allowed me to become a complete sponge...always had an eye open or ear tuned to what was being said and asked as many questions as I could.

At this point I am still learning...there are sportfish I have never had the oppurtunity to chase after and there are fisheries I've never particapted in...it never gets dull or old!

#167515 - 12/02/02 10:45 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
grew up in manchester and long lake so
I guess you could say I taught myself with some guidence from granpa.

#167516 - 12/02/02 10:56 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
bluenote Offline
Smolt

Loc: cloud 9
I'm still learning from you guys

hope you don't mind

thought it would be cool to learn something new and then teach it to my dad for once instead of the other way around. We've been trout fishing before but when I showed him the chum in the river he freaked out. "I've never seen fish that BIG!!"

I'll never forget the look in his eyes... eek

thanks again all - I dont have much knowledge to share but I'll listen to every tip you got...

#167517 - 12/02/02 11:46 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
Many of the old, old timers here might have heard his name: Morry Abbott. He was kinda a Point Defiance legend and played ball for the Tacoma Tigers back in the late 30's early 40's before moving onto the "show." The old ball field was off Sprague in those days...

Up until his death in '89, the man fished a cane rod, single action reel and a Shovel and Rudder in front of Herring (he called them worms). His favorite water was less than 50' deep.

Some of the stories I have heard are hard to believe, but I believed him- I have the pictures. He used to tell the same one over and over.... "Back in my day, we used to throw those fish back (referring to 10 pounders!)"

Great thread! Thanks for bring back the memories...

Downriggin"

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#167518 - 12/02/02 11:50 PM Re: Who taught you to fish?
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
It was Granddad up at Loon Lake in the Forties, I was his Fishing Partner. He would tie a light rope on the pole and the other end of the rope to an oar lock or the rail of old round bottom alluminum boat and then we would troll for Silvers & Rainbows for me and Mackinaw for him on Loon.

In 1948 My Mom & Dad bought a home on the Beach at Manchester, an old Oak Flat Bottom Skiff of questionable vintage came with the place and my Granddad came over from Spokane aand tought me how to fish the sound between the passage at the Naval Fuel Depot at Manchester and South Colby.

Here in Port Townsend two old Brothers by the name of Neville taught me how to Fish Disscovery Bay & Admirallty Inlet along with another local here in Port Townsend by the name of Louie Buschelio who taught me how to fish Point Wilson and the Mid Channel Bank.

#167519 - 12/03/02 12:12 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
My dad, who has been gone now almost 20 years. frown

He taught me many things, how to tie knots, how to catch grasshoppers and thread them onto a hook, how to sneak up on trout, but most important was his version of fishing mojo, long before the term 'mojo' was upon us. He held that how you held your face was very important in what luck you were going to have. You had to have the right face on to catch fish.

I sure wish he was here to teach his grandkids all the good stuff he taught me.

#167520 - 12/03/02 12:31 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Rivernut Offline
Juvenille at Sea

My little brother hooked me up with a rod for Christmas, many many, moons ago... cool Then this wise old steelheader from Tacoma took me under his wing and pointed me in the right direction huh ... Thanks...Because I know I was lost... confused Is it the fish, or the way the water affects us that draws us to it???
what Rivernut

#167521 - 12/03/02 12:40 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Grew up on Bainbridge Island and learned to fish as a kid with a hand line and pile worms (best bait in the sound - I really should try using them again). Caught cod, flounder, rockfish, dogfish, ratfish, cabeson and even the occasional salmon. Thought I knew enough to get by until I ran into my mother-in-law BA and her friend Lois. These two had their own personal kicker at Pt. No Pt. back in the good ol' days. They kicked my ass and never let me forget it. They were amazing and Vic loved the fact that it didn't sit well with some of the other fellas. For them fishing was serious business. I learned to keep up just enough to be invited along from time to time. Lois wasn't entirely convinced about me before she died but my MIL, who can't fish anymore, still winks at me when no one else is looking. And why would'nt she, if I caught a 20lb King she caught a 35# and a 22#der.

Lois was a rare breed, a self made woman, a very successful executive for a large Seattle corporation back in the 50's & 60's (that's saying something) and also very well known as an outdoorswoman. Her love was steelhead fishing. I used to hear the stories about this fabled fish, Enos Bradner and the guys, the trips down the Soleduck and expeditions north to the Skeena. My MIL didn't enjoy the cold or steelheading and Lois never invited me. But I dreamt on. One day....

Like before, I tried to learn to steelhead on my own. About the time I thought, I'd figured things out (still had'nt landed one on a fly like Lois, tho), I had the great fortune of running into Bill Herzog. Watching him fish was like watching Tiger. You knew you would never be as good but he elevated your game just to be around him. What I learned from Bill was by osmosis (I really should buy his book). I was very blessed to have spent time around a true master. What I was never able to learn from Bill about fishing is no longer as important to me as the time we and the buds were able to spend together. It was a pleasure to climb down canyons, drive 200 miles at 3:00am, stretch a line, a float and a tale or two with him. With Bill, fishing was a passion, a passion he could not contain. Bill, if you're out there, thanks. What you passed on to me, I will not contain either. Because of you my son can out fish me too.

To BA and Bill, God Bless.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#167522 - 12/03/02 12:52 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My Dad's passion was bass fishing, and we did a lot of it on Ken Lake, especially at night. I would fish for perch with a worm under a bobber, he would cast plugs after bass.

My Grampa Forrest got me involved in trout fishing, mostly on Banks Lake or on the Potholes Lakes. I never got to go salmon fishing with him, but he always stopped by when he came back from Westport.

I read and taught myself how to fish effectively for salmon in the salt, but I always learn new tricks from everyone I fish with.

Steelhead fishing was something I did a few times a year, and a good year was catching 3 or 4. After a 10 year hiatus from steelheading I started getting some tips from this board, and another local board. I "boat whored" a few rides with some completely awesome guys here, and learned a few things, then a few more, and so on. I now have my own boats, thanks to some good luck and a bit of hard work, and I am sharing what little I know with my Dad and brother.

I always ask questions when I fish with someone, especially when I'm fishing a river I don't know. I have also started a journal so I can keep track of my lessons learned and teach my boys to be better fishermen than I ever will be.

DanS says it best in his tag line,

"Share some knowledge, share some fun."

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#167523 - 12/03/02 12:57 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Hey Mooch...how long have you been fishing at PNP. I grew up 7 houses from the PNP beach resort. My brothers and I worked at the boathouse for 2 summers. We kept a kicker in the boathouse in the winter,and had our 20'er moored in front of the house all summer. AHHHHH!....the good ole' days!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#167524 - 12/03/02 09:54 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
HBP,

I still fish there today, but I was fortunate to have fished PNP in the 60's, a shadow of the earlier boathouse days but a very special time nonetheless. As a kid, who could forget the long roller coaster ride of the hansville hiway out there in the dark, the ride down the ramp into the water, the lighthouse, the tides, the action, the characters (Vic, Shorty and so many others) and the amount of bait and salmon in those days.

Good times, more to come.

Peace
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#167525 - 12/03/02 11:03 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
My dad, he showed me the ancient secrets of Salt and Fresh Water fishing for Trout, Steelhead and Salmon. If it wasn't for him I would still be figuring out the Sport. He Passed in 1972 and a Year and a half later I had a son of my own to fish with and pass on those ancient fish secrets. We fish together at least 4 out of 7 days a week, and he has been the best friend a father could have. fishy

#167526 - 12/03/02 11:44 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Ono4fish Offline
Parr

Loc: Keyport, Wa. USA
Grew up in the islands (Hawaii)... taught to fish by my granny. Her pleasures were fishing, a glass of whiskey and smoking a cut plug tobacco.
For awhile there I think she regreted taking me with her cause I'd eat the bait and break off every 5 minutes. I was finally given 1 prawn and a lesson in hook tieing, I was about 8 yr. old at that time.

Our poles were bamboo, mainline same length as the poles, a split shot and hook. The bait was usually fresh prawns.

I was about 9 years old when I first saw a spin cast outfit. Brought to the island by one of my cousins...what a shock! This thing could get your bait out farther than you could throw a rock. Won't tell you how many fishing reels or poles I own now!

That was digging deep into the memory pool but I guess we all had to start somewhere.

#167527 - 12/03/02 11:47 AM Re: Who taught you to fish?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Good Question HBP

My Dad!!! Funny how now I "help" him now that roles change as time move on.

Im gonna be a Dad in June for the first time! I will need someone to help me when I get older--call it Wiser-eh. "This is how you row Daddy down the river"

I admire the fathers on this page that take their kids fishing.

moose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |