LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168237 - 12/09/02 11:15 PM 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
I am going to be purchasing a DB for myself for Christmas. I have fished out of both glass (Claka) and alum. (Willie/Diamond Back) boats plenty of times, but I have little experience actually rowing. Because of the comfort and features I'm leaning towards a glass boat, but am not sure if a beginner should learn to row in a glass boat. I realize there is a learning curve to becoming good on the sticks and don't plan on floating rivers that I will get in over my head.

Any advice? Pros and cons to each type of material? Thanks in advance........

#168238 - 12/09/02 11:37 PM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
trouter Offline
Parr

I asked this same question a few months ago and got some great feedback. I decided to go with a glass 14' Lavro/Lazydrifter. The lavros are a tough boat and the workmanship is amazing. It rows effortlessly. I would highly recommend looking at the Lavros.

#168239 - 12/10/02 12:17 AM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I don't think your level of experience really matters in this decision. Any well made glass boat is very tough, as of course are the aluminum boats. Search back for this topic on this board and on ifish.net, and you'll likely get lots of good data.

I have a glass driftboat and an aluminum sled, so I'm not real prejudiced one way or another. I like the warmth of the glass boats in the winter. People say that the aluminum boats handle better, I don't find the difference compelling. YMMV

#168240 - 12/10/02 01:38 AM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
TRat,

Glass or Aluminum reminds me of the question you're asked before you have your first child; would you rather have a boy or a girl? Either way you can't go wrong. And after you get it your just happy to have it. Go with your gut and the bond will grow as you get to know each other over the years. Far as I can see their isn't a bad one out there that is currently in production.

I have to say that I was amazed to hear of someone else out there with a Lavro LazyDrifter. I still use one of the first ones Ron ever made. I guess that makes it about 20 years old now. Ain't fancy, but she gets the job done. Like a good friend she don't ask for much and she's always there for me.

Good luck and hope to see you out there. Hope you enjoy driftin' as much as I have. Wave if you see the Water Ouzel.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#168241 - 12/10/02 09:28 AM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
CHROMEDOMEHUNTER Offline
Fry

Loc: tacoma,Wa.
I have an older 14' lavro and it sucks compared to all 16' boats I have rowwed.the problem is it has a narrower beam than the larger boats so you have less freeboard(more drag) making it harder to maneuver.glass boats are supperior in skinny water,don't hang up nearly as much as aluminum,because they flex allowing them to slide over rather than stick to the bottom.they do offer wide bottom 14' glass boats now,which would probably be my choice for a first db

#168242 - 12/10/02 08:43 PM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
Drachir21 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Creswell, Oregon
Buy a Clackacraft, you will not be disappointed. I have 30 years expeience rowing DB's, and have rowed most of the boats out there. Clackacraft rows the best!!
Go out & row the ones you're looking at, and judge for yourself. smile

Rick

#168243 - 12/11/02 12:03 AM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
Sullie Offline
Spawner

i was lookin on buyin an old wooden drift boat. was wonderin how well a wooden drift boat will do.

#168244 - 12/11/02 12:44 PM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
new or used? if used forget the glass/alum angle and try to get the most bang for your buck. also i have never met anyone who had a 14fter that did'nt wish he had a 16. if your buying new i would buy glass,specifically a Hyde,costs less than Lavro and rows much easier,costs less than a clack,rows about the same, durability is about the same in these three, I have only rowed 1 wood db,I think they are the best looking boat by far,that aside they are the hardest to row by far,wood is also the least durable by far

#168245 - 12/11/02 01:36 PM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Trailrat;
As you know I have an 18' Eastside. I love it. To this point it has been indestructable. It is 34 years old.

A good buddy of mine has just come into a 16' Hyde. The model he has has very low sides. I am a bit unnerved by this after rowing the Eastside for so long. Get the high sided style either way you go.

Drop me an e-mail. We may have an open seat for the Bogie this weekend (if it's not blown!)

#168246 - 12/11/02 03:00 PM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
wolf-eel Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Orchard
My clakacraft is now about 15 years old and still floats, It's been a boat. The only thing I don't care for is the oar locks seem to be set at to much of an angle. The new ones I'm sure are made alot different.
I'm thinking about buying a new DB pretty soon and will probably stick with Clackacraft.

#168247 - 12/12/02 01:51 AM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
finneyrock Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everson WA USA
I have had a 14' Lavro and a 16' Lavro. I don't see any advantage to having a 14'. The 16' rows easier, more room, manuevers better, and easily fishes 3, etc.
The 16' I have now (lazy drifter) I have had for 12 years, sat out in the sun part of the time, banged down over some (Many) big old rocks, fished hard and people still ask if it is a new boat.
I have followed guys down the upper Sol Duc at 7 boards+ who were in a Guide model High Side Koffler and the Koffler definately tracks better when manuevering. Glass boats are easily over-steered in more technical water.
I would still go with the glass boat, pay a little more attention in the technical water, have a warmer ride, never get hung up on a rock in shallow water etc..
One exception if I was a plug pulling junkie I wouldn't even consider a glass boat. The bit about over steering is really compounded if you are pulling plugs all the time. A glass boat is a lot harder to keep on track when pulling plugs.
Either way you'll never regret getting a drift boat.

eek Word of caution though, things happen fast on the river when you make a mistake or something breaks (like last year when I was dropping into Oxbow and my oar broke right at the worst possible moment).
Always:
Have an extra oar you can grab and install in 2 -3 seconds. (saved our bacon)
Carry an extra oar lock
Carry an extra anchor and rope
Always wear a floataion device
Always make sure you can get away from your anchor rope
Get information about the river you are going to drift and if you need to follow someone down stretches of river if you don't know them or you know you are in over your head. But for gods sake after you follow them don't cork em.

Have fun, its a great way to spend your day. umbrella

#168248 - 12/12/02 08:46 PM Re: 1st DB, Alum. or Glass?
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
Great advice everyone.

Thanks for the input all.

I will let you know what I end up getting...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 969 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |