THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168538 - 12/12/02 10:29 AM What's Under Your Neoprenes?
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
I'm talking clothes here! laugh

What do you wear for warmth and comfort under your neoprenes? Long underwear? Fleece pants? Sweats? One layer? Multiple layers?

And, where did you get it?

#168539 - 12/12/02 10:40 AM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
For me suiting up for fishing is an event, I get cold easily so this is my normal winter wear.

Polar Fleece pants

T-Shirt with a Polar Fleece shirt over it

1-2 pairs of Polar Fleece socks depending on how much I plan to wade that day.

Then on the outside of the waders I put on a Polar Fleece coat, then a Gortex rain coat.

Baseball cap, stocking cap, or Gortex hat depending on the weather.

Always bring a pair of wool or polar fleece fingerless gloves if your hands get cold like mine do.

Thats usually enough to keep me warm except for my hands I have not figured out how to keep them warm all day yet.

#168540 - 12/12/02 11:35 AM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
I agree with leadthrower ,fleece fleece and fleece

#168541 - 12/12/02 11:41 AM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
cully Offline
Fry

Loc: willamette valley
first off I don't ware my neoprenes anymore. I go with breathable waders because they are so much less restictive. I purchased the hodgmans at 95 bucks and have had them 5 years. They have had a serious pounding in that span and have held up ok. They have a pin hole size leek in the crotch which leeks a few drops during a long fishing day but only when I'm waist deep. Under the waders I did not scrimp. Patagonia capeilne underware, capeline longjohns and capeline long sleeve undershirt. Patagonia socks, Solartec Fleece pants, a LLBean form fitting 200 weight sweatshirt followed if really cold by a Cabellas polartec 300 vest. It raining I'll put on my Patagonia gortex wading jacket. An overkill? Not really. Called layering and items can be removed by layer if not needed. I found that after several years of cotton sweatshirts getting wet and them staying cold and clamy all day that I needed to invest. It took several years but it's a done deal. I have not been cold or wet since. Oh I forgot. Simms boots with cleats and a fleece hat. I don't fall anymore either.

#168542 - 12/12/02 12:39 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
steel_fish Offline
Fry

Loc: Arlington
I wear fleece pants, 1 pair cotton socks, 1 pair wool socks, long john shirt with another shirt over that. Fleece pullover, wool fingertipless gloves and a fleece hat. Everything with the exception of the fleece materials I get at the Army/Navy surplus store. Its fairly cheap and you can find some really good warm weather gear.

If there were no chickens...what would everything taste like?

#168543 - 12/12/02 01:06 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
LittleZoZo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rochester, WA USA
What's under my neoprenes? The same thing I where every day.... Rigging pants, a longjohn shirt, cotton socks, and a hickory shirt worn wife beater style (sleeves cut off). "What's under that" you say? 235 lbs of hot, virile man meat, ready to go into action at a moments notice...... Any more questions? laugh

#168544 - 12/12/02 01:59 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Sullie Offline
Spawner

i wear longjohn pants and shirt with a t shirt over my shirt, then a sweat shirt, and then a coat. this usually keeps me warm enough.

#168545 - 12/12/02 02:07 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Typically, I just wear one pair of regular socks, a pair of jeans, and my fleece jacket.

Man, some of you guys are wussies. It's never cold enough to warrent wearing some of that stuff slap

#168546 - 12/12/02 02:39 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Well, some guys need CLOTHES for insulation. rolleyes

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#168547 - 12/12/02 02:54 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
steel_fish Offline
Fry

Loc: Arlington
I have poor circulation in my feet, therefore I need 2 pairs of socks. Someone told me once to keep your toes warm smear vaseline under them and in the cracks. Supposed to be an insulator?!

If there were no chickens...what would everything taste like?

#168548 - 12/12/02 03:03 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
What's under my neoprenes? I'm not real sure. Whatever else is in the local landfill I guess. moose

Actually, I hope they incinerated those damn things. This is my 4th season with my Simms breathables, and I couldn't be much more comfortable. rofl zip

#168549 - 12/12/02 03:52 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Fleece pants, poly propelene top, and green gas! evil

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#168550 - 12/12/02 06:55 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Lots of dust!! wink On top too!!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168551 - 12/12/02 07:05 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
One thing that helps me stay warm in winter is having 3 pairs of socks and slightly oversized boots. The first pair of socks are thin liners, the second good fleece and the third are oversized polartec socks I got from LL Bean. By having the different size socks with the big boots, I get 3 layers insulation and no overconstriction of my feet. I do a lot of deep wading in 40 degree water. It helps!

#168552 - 12/12/02 07:56 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
eggho Offline
Alevin

Loc: SW Wash/NW Ore
Under my 'prenes? Well I'd say about 7 3/4", soft! Talking about the draw string over lap of my sweat pants after tightening them. On relavtively warmer days I just were jeans under them.

But I also use my Hodgeman breathables in less snaggy bank areas, with less sticker bushes. But the last 2 pair of these have developed leaks that shouldn't have. First pair in both stocking feet and the current pair I got a big one near the crotch (seriously). That is a bad place to have one! I can't find any holes by visual inspection so I guess it's into the tub for tests. Or maybe just replace them on warranty. There is no sign of abuse in them at all, and hasn't been. Has anyone esle had bad luck with Hodgeman waders leaking easily?

#168553 - 12/12/02 09:28 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
bluenote Offline
Smolt

Loc: cloud 9
nothing but fleece and polypropelene (sp?)

NEVER anything cotton

#168554 - 12/12/02 09:45 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Peter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Gig Harbor,WA
Fleece or Poly or Wool, Cotton Kills!
Matthew 4:19

#168555 - 12/13/02 11:09 AM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
cully Offline
Fry

Loc: willamette valley
eggho, the hodgmans that i've had which is two pair have developed leeks but just small ones. I will just aqua seal them and keep em. Never enough drops of water to really bother me. I will try to upgrade to another brand money permitting once they go bust

#168557 - 12/13/02 11:53 AM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
There is nothing I can do to keep my feet warm
Sounds like you have the same problem as my mother. Her feet would get cold if she was standing on the sun. laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#168558 - 12/13/02 12:19 PM Re: What's Under Your Neoprenes?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
I just layer up with fleece according to conditions and type of fishing. At least one thin layer of capilene to stay feeling dry with neos. The Patagonia stuff may seem a bit hoidy toidy but darn the stuff is good and it lasts like iron too. My favorite piece though is a Simms one piece PolarTec overall suit for real cold conditions, like sitting in a float tube all day, cause the one piece keeps the heat distributed throughout the body better. But the single most important tip I've learned is that no matter what you are using, keep things loose, especially around the feet. If you wear to much stuff and things get constrictive or tight you will cut off circulation and get even colder than if you were wearing less. I now use oversize boots, sandals or fins to allow layering around the feet if necessary. Really makes a difference. I think this is another reason looser fitting breatables are better because you can layer better than neos for the conditions without the negative affects of constriction.

Oh, and if you want to give the missus a special thoughtful Xmas gift that says you care about her comfort, that you want her to stay happy and warm while she fishes with you into the sunset, get her a pair of cashmere or Quiviut socks. If that doesn't get you a guided trip with Bob for your birthday, I don't know what will.

Hang loose and be warm and dry.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Brad_tgl, Coho, NewNWSalmon3
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 822 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |