Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168572 - 12/12/02 04:01 PM Lewis street ramp blocked
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I was out at the Sky today, checking out water color, and found the Lewis Street Ramp blocked by the concrete block that used to be by the sign in the middle of the parking lot. I have a call in to find out what is up.

The block is on the better half of the ramp, the one that sleds are going to want to use. You can get around it on the west side, but that puts you over on the sandy side.

I'll post what the dept tells me if and when they call. The person who took my call did not know of any planned closure, and if they were intending to close the ramp, seems like they would have blocked both lanes.

The water color, BTW, was pretty murky, about 10 inches of visibility. The Snoqualmie is chocolate. This was about 10:00 this morning, the water is still coming up.

#168573 - 12/12/02 05:08 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
Thanks for the update beer Let us know.

#168574 - 12/12/02 06:35 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
I think I read somewhere that the bottom half of the ramp was damaged causing damage to trailers. I could be wrong though

#168575 - 12/12/02 08:07 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

There is drop off at the end of the ramp. There are rocks in one slot that will keep you from dropping too bad. I haven't found it to be too much of a problem. The concrete block, on the other hand, is more serious. Still no response from the WDFW.

#168576 - 12/13/02 04:57 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

I talked to the office about the blockage. It's been done by the state. They apparently were concerned about some rebar sticking out at the bottom of the ramp that would cause tire damage.

They have plans to repair/enhance the ramp next spring, when the water drops. Apparently there wasn't money to do that this year.

I think the ramp could be temporarily fixed with the addition of about 50 bucks worth of concrete tiles and a little mortar. I am going to contact the person in charge of the access area and see if they would be agreeable to a few private citizens undertaking a temporary repair. I'll post the results of that conversation when it happens.

#168577 - 12/13/02 05:54 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
silver, contact me if the volunteer thing comes to light, I'm off work now and have lots of experience working with mortor,concrete,etc

#168578 - 12/13/02 07:10 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Be careful repairs to the ramp will require the minimum of City or County Shoreline Exemption Permit.

WDFW may have already missed their own regulatory fish window to do the work. The ability to do in- stream work (ramp repair) more than likely will not open up again till July.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#168579 - 12/13/02 07:31 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

BD, thanks for the comment. That clears up one of the comments significantly.

I wonder if we could do some good with a small load of 2 inch crushed rock. Just enough to fill in the gap and hold until then. I'll research.

#168580 - 12/14/02 02:29 AM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
Lifeisgreat Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish
Best way to approach this beast is (Emergency repair to an existing structure) Beyond that the permit process can be overwelming. Permit process allows for way to much opinion based on alot of best guessing. Emergeny repairs to prevent more damage can open more doors.

#168581 - 12/14/02 09:24 AM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I'd contact F&W and see if they can supply an emergency hydraulic permit for the repair. They usually have a person in each area that can do so.

When the Hoh was so low this fall, one of the fellas came out and just wrote out a form on the spot that pretty much allowed anything to go. Now, that's certainly not needed in this case, I don't think it would be too hard to get one for a specific purpose such as this. It might be best to do under on behalf of an organization ...

My 2 cents smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#168582 - 12/14/02 01:36 PM Re: Lewis street ramp blocked
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
I agree the "emergency repair" angle is probably the best shot to get a temporary fix to the ramp.

Most jurisdictions though won't allow a permanent fix, like concrete pouring, under an emergency repair. The pouring off small angular rock to fill in holes should be fine.

Bob's right any repairs will require a WDFW HPA and some type of local shoreline exemption or permit.

I'm heading to the Sky now to go sink a line, will follow up with a report.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 373 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |