LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169265 - 12/18/02 02:57 AM Nets and Native steelies. . .
Pautzke Offline
Fry

Loc: Kelso, Washington
Around the late 1800's early 1900's over 16 million salmonoids entered the Columbia river each year. Now less than a million come back each year due to overfishing. Not by rod and reel mind you, by gillnets purse seiners, fish traps, set nets, etc. not even counting the ocean, just in the river alone Sad but true. Fish were so thick you could practactly walk across their backs. This of course is due to many reasons. Just some info i wanted to share.

Anyway on to my thoughts.... It is true that on the Columbia some of our biggest steelies return in the months of March April and May. And this of course is when the silver bullet springers return as well. Here is when commercial gillnetting also begins. Get what Iam saying yet? The gill net requirments is that the maximum size of each square can only be 4 inches measurred corner to corner. This means that a significant amount of the big steelies that return at this time are gillnetted (indirectly) and die. Even though this is incidental catch none will make it back to swim again. once entangled in a gillnet, no fish stands a chance. They suffocate rather quickly.

Some things have been done to try to help the survival rate of the incidental catch like improving nets. Making smaller squared nets so then the fish wont get there gills entangled. Well I am sorry still the majority of these fish suffocate. And if they do not suffocate the protective layer of slime on the fish is rubbed off and then the fishes skin is prone to bacteria that will quickly kill the fish. These are the type of programs that our tax dollars go to. ( improving nets)

So here we have the better fish of the species returning and we are killing them while killing many of our Springers native and non native alike.

The nets only allow smaller fish to pass through in terms of the steelies. These smaller fish are what retun to the hatcheries and what are used for producing offspring on all of the Columbias tributaries. This in return gives us smaller and smaller fish each year that will return only to produce those little "clones".

I 'am really tired of seeing this happen year in and year out. When the nets are in you can count on being fishless for a week after they are taken out. They hit those fish hard. Both salmon and steelhead alike and a few sturgeon as well.

This brings me to another question. Why do the gillnetters get to kill both native and non native fish.

I think that on days that the nets are in we should be able to keep both native and non native fish.... Not that I'd want too but why not? Iam all for releasing wild and native fish but why sould we when we have the gillnetters in the lower river taking almost every damn fish and indians up river are doing the same. While also destroying alot of beautiful, big, wild steelies in the process.

So whats the deal. We pay our fees and they pay their fees. Why discriminate. If were not taking the problem head on why spend the money on chipping away at the edges?

fishy flog

#169266 - 12/18/02 03:12 AM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
pautzke-
Some very good points...but the commercial harvest is minimal compared to the damage the other 'h's' do (habitat, hatcheries, hydropower).

Do some research (and not on hen steelies) on these other detriments to our salmonId populations of the Columbia River.

#169267 - 12/18/02 03:48 AM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
Pautzke Offline
Fry

Sparkey, I have did extensive research on the other salmonoids as well. And I did say that there were many other things that contribute to the decline of fish on the columbia in my first paragraph. I simply was suggesting a problem that has been effecting our large wild steelhead population since the beganning of time and now when it matters most it is slipping our grasp.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say (hen steelhead) where did I say that, I must ask, do tell. Looks like you got women on the mind. By the way did your girlfriend tell you that she and I have met via this forum and are going to hit up Rocky ford this Winter. Dont worry though just buisness.

Anyhow Ryan it is you who looks as someone who needs to do more studying as you have said in your profile that you are a "COLLEGE SLACKER" ...... I rest my case.!!!!

Dont critcize people if you simply cant read the forum corrcetly.

By the way tell Keeri hello for me.

Sincerely Pautzke

#169268 - 12/18/02 03:59 AM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
pautze-
Sorry if my post came off wrong...I just get tired of so many people blaming the commercial net fisheries on the Columbia which do fairly minimal damage (although the spring chinook fishery does take its share of wild winter steelhead...notice that Puget Sound wild steelhead are in very poor shape as well) compared to so many other impacts.

Besides...shes not my girlfreind!!!...shes my fiance!!!! slap

what

#169269 - 12/18/02 04:26 AM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
hey ryan i'll say hi when i take her out in my driftboat this weeked..

She's a nice girl and i hope to get to know her a little better as we catch fish smile smile

#169270 - 12/18/02 09:32 AM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
Pautzke Offline
Fry

Sparkey,
Fishin senstation you are absolutely right, she is one of the few women that I have talked to that seemed up to date with her fishin and huntin stuff. Anyhow Sparkey You are truly correct. Sorry if I came acrossed a little ugly. Try not too, but it was getting late and I was tired. Anyway It looks like you and your future wife will have to meet up with me and hit up the Ford this winter. It'll be lots of fun!!

Anyhow off too the river 6:30am. Se ya.

Pautzke

#169271 - 12/18/02 11:13 AM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Maybe I missed the memo that went out. Is today ode to Kaari day?? I don't think I got the schedule. Hmm... Do I set my clocks ahead now or sacrifice a chicken???

I'm sure this comes as a shocker(other than to Ryan), but I can fish with whomever I want! So there!! Plus, Ryan isn't a fan of the "little" trout found at Rocky Ford. Steelhead is more his speed.

Respect my authorita!!

PS- NO to the marriage thang and FS, you can just keep loving me from a far.
evil

#169272 - 12/18/02 03:17 PM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
Ya' gotta' love her! Hey girl, pass the Jagerman's S'more Shnapps, will ya?

#169273 - 12/18/02 05:06 PM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ericsson:
Ya' gotta' love her! Hey girl, pass the Jagerman's S'more Shnapps, will ya?
You're hurtin my heart there!! Shnapps?? PLEZ!! This girl is all gucci.... If you want Crown Royal Reserve, I gotcha covered! beer

#169274 - 12/18/02 05:30 PM Re: Nets and Native steelies. . .
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
All Gucci, eh? Ok, a girl of class. I was putting forth the schnapps thinking you would know what it meant-It is what kept the troops fighting for General Cartman Lee to re-write the civil war in South Park-where RESPECT MA AUTHORITA!! came from. I'm sure you remember, ya?

But I have to agree-schnapps too rich for me, I happen to be a huge fan of the Captain, as in Morgan. He and I go way back! beer

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |