Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169388 - 12/18/02 05:53 PM Skykomish Report - Reiter
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Fished today, Wednesday 12/18 from 6am to 11am. I saw about a dozen fish caught, 2/3rds bright winter runs. At 8:30 I caught a 5 lb hatchery hen (winter run) on a corky/eggs. As far as I could tell, every other fish was caught by bobber heads. What's up with that?? Seems like hardly anyone is drift fishing Reiter. Next thing you know I'm going to hear someone say to me "hey, don't you know this is bobber water? Stop drifting gear in this hole!" slap
Seriously, the bobber fishermen did great, lots of fish caught within 10-15 feet of shore which is harder to get a drift through, so they killed them in close and I had the mid to middle of the river to drift myself. Which is OK by me, the fish can't all be in close to shore! But I may just be inclined to pull out some jigs myself next time, especially if I get outfished like that again.
BTW, the river was in sweet condition, a wee bit high but clear and running at more normal levels (I think around 4500 in Sultan, still higher than normal).

#169389 - 12/18/02 06:17 PM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Asteiger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Los Angeles
Good to hear that the fish are on the way! I've always seen quite a few "bobber heads" up there but I think whatever works for you go for it, unless its' snaggin shoot

Skeets

#169390 - 12/18/02 08:23 PM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
It just seems so easy to float fish up there, ever time I drift fish I only get a couple casts before breaking off. It's pretty snaggy at Reiter.

#169391 - 12/18/02 10:10 PM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Mike C Offline

True enough, I guess because I learned to steelhead via drifting that something about floats doesn't seem right. Maybe it's losing the tactile feel of your slinky bouncing along the bottom and then the head shake of a steelhead grabbing the gear. You lose that with float fishing. Don't get me wrong - I think it's great that guys did so well with the floats today. It's just I love that charge of energy as you feel the take and yell "fish on!". But I agree, drift fishing can drive one nuts with lost gear, re-tying, etc. It's no wonder the floats do better, less down fishing time, easy to see a take-down than feel a subtle take.

#169392 - 12/19/02 02:33 AM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
nutnbutlip Offline
Parr

Were these folks hittting fish on floats with jigs?

#169393 - 12/19/02 07:39 AM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Mike C Offline

I believe most were jigs, one for sure eggs, one for sure shrimp. If I take out amatuer steelheaders/fishermen you can be sure I'm rigging them up with floats! hello

#169394 - 12/19/02 08:21 AM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
The morning people must have swept Reiter clean. I got up there about 12:30 on Wed. Stayed until dark and only saw one hooked and don't think he landed it.

Must be a morning show for now.

#169395 - 12/19/02 12:02 PM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
It seems that the last few yrs, most fishing below the creek were drifting, above the creek pretty much demands a float and that's what you saw. Now it seems the either the float fishers are moving down or the drift fishers are converting.
I now take two rods to match whatever the rest are doing.
I prefer drifting and two rods are kind of a pain but Reiter isn't the place to dictate a preference.

#169396 - 12/19/02 12:52 PM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

goforchrome

Good point, you do pretty much have to go with the flow.

#169397 - 12/19/02 07:40 PM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Mike C Offline

Well, OK, this sets up an interesting question. I can understand if I go to Blue Creek and try to float fish the point that it would not work, but Reiter is, at least in my eyes, mixed use. The fishing isn't shoulder to shoulder. If I get there first thing in the morning and am drifting, I don't think I should have to change just because 2/3rds of the anglers are using floats. Seems like if you are watching and casting in proper sequence the two techniques can exist side by side. I think I only had about 4 line tangles the whole morning, due each time to a float being cast into my line. Of course, this may be different during weekends when there are twice as many people. We were 15-20 total and had good seperation. No frayed tempers, everyone was in good spirits. I think the most important thing is to just watch the casting order and not cast until the upstream angler's lne has drifted sufficently downstream. Its all about good rhythm. beer

#169398 - 12/20/02 10:21 AM Re: Skykomish Report - Reiter
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

I agree if you are there first you set the tone. Also even if you get there after everyone else and can do your own thing without tangling up with everyone it is all good. It is pretty easy for drift fisherman and float fisherman to fish side by side. The hard thing is when someone wants to come in to the middle of the mix with a spoon, or plunk. You would probably have no problem mixing drift fishing with float fishing because you are a courteous fisherman and would pay attention to what you are doing. It is the guy next to you that I would worry about. If you are not doing the same thing as him, he may not be so courteous or lack the knowledge of casting sequence. This may cause you much frustration, forcing you to change to his technique to calm your nerves. laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 1199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |