Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179839 - 01/02/03 12:00 AM Satsop Boat Accident
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Be advised that a drift boat went down on the East Fork of the Satsop just below the Schafer Pk bridge on New Years eve. Thankfully, all anglers (3?) managed to get to shore safely. The boat is buried in the middle of the river and does not currently pose a hazard to other boaters coming thru. It happened below the hole where the river takes a hard left soon after the Schafer Pk Bridge and before Decker Cr. Caution is advised in this section due to low overhanging trees and split channels with large rod wads. Apparently, they made the decision (or were forced by not staying to the far side of the hole) to take the left channel. Although the left channel appears to be the main channel, it heads down directly into a very large low hanging tree and the riffle is too thin (even on high water) to navigate away from it. With 3 people it would be all the more difficult to avoid. Be sure to take the right (high) side coming out of this hole.

As we floated by, soon after it happened, we were soberly reminded of the power and danger of the rivers we fish. Although the Satsop is not considered a technically advanced float, she, and all other rivers we fish, DEMAND THE RESPECT THEY ARE DUE, aside from the degree of difficulty we assign them. The Satsop may have taken a boat this time but thankfully we are all reminded once again to be very careful out there without having had to pay the very dear price of a lost life.

Be safe and live to fish another day.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#179840 - 01/02/03 12:20 AM Re: Satsop Boat Accident
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I'll second the power of even a mild river. This reminds me of a drift boat wreck I observed at the mouth of the West Fork of the Satsop in the 60's - a couple guys were not being careful and got blown in too close to the bank where the East Fork comes in. They made the classic mistake of trying to stop themselves by grabbing branches, and that boat went over so fast I wasn't sure I had seen it disappear, until two bedraggled guys washed up on an island just downstream. It was single digit weather and those dudes would have frozen quick - I couldn't row back upstream so I blew the hole I was in to get help, found a sled a half-mile below me, he ran up and rescued them, then tried to pull out their boat but couldn't budge it away from the log jam it was up against. Said they were pretty blue and could just barely get up the bank and into their rig. Worst of all though was the sledder told me he hooked a nice fish on the way down - in the bottom of the hole I blew to save those crackers cry

#179841 - 01/02/03 11:22 PM Re: Satsop Boat Accident
starfisher Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bainbridge Island
I have never floated the Satsop, will be making my first try this late winter season. I have a single person pontoon and will be floating with one or two others similarly equipped. besides keeping to the right after the river bends left below the bridge, are there any other tight spots? what

#179842 - 01/02/03 11:40 PM Re: Satsop Boat Accident
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Scott,

The Satsop is generally considered a beginner's river. I'm familiar with the spot described, and it could be a problem if you weren't paying attention, so I guess the lesson is you'd better pay attention no matter what river you're on.

If in doubt, walk it around. But, you shouldn't have any problem if you keep your wits about you.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#179843 - 01/03/03 12:31 AM Re: Satsop Boat Accident
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Scott,

Like Dan says, it is all doable. But be aware there are a number of trees down from Schafer Pk to Donation Bar. I don't know your comfort level, but I'm more leery of trees than rocks with a pontoon boat. Keep it in mind if your'e dropping in at Schafer. From Donation or Cook Cr to the hiway boat ramp it's all clear, now that the nasty Concrete Block eddy is gone. There's plenty of great water and it's still a long drift.

By the way if you have a brother Steve, you come from good stock. The Steve I know is a hero to me.

Good luck. Feel free to email if you like.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#179844 - 01/04/03 10:37 AM Re: Satsop Boat Accident
starfisher Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bainbridge Island
Dan S. and Mooch,
Thanks for your replys. I have seen the power of the rivers and have a lot of respect for what they can do. I am wary of trees more so than rocks also. I am new to the pontoon world and have a watersceeter ponoon. It seems real solid and I am glad to hear that the Satsop is considered a beginners river, that is what I am.
I do not know Steve, Mooch. It is nice to hear that a distant relative is so highly thought of.

Scott

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1181 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |