LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180332 - 01/06/03 12:14 AM Any Grande Ronde Reports?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Going the GR this weekend for a day of drifting and wondered if anyone had some words of wisdom. I have only fished the river one time so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

RM

#180333 - 01/06/03 11:46 AM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
JSTEEL Offline
Fry

Loc: Kennewick, Wa. USA
Riverman-

I have a friend in Lewiston that fishes the Ronde at least 4 days a week. His latest report to me was on Sat. and he said it has been hit and miss his last few trips. Last Thurs. him and a buddy hooked 9 and the next day they only hooked 1. He said you have to hit them in the nose with it right now. He suggested to fish the stretch from Boggans up to the hatchery and he uses nothing but corkies and yarn. Hope this info. helps.

Jsteel

#180334 - 01/06/03 12:31 PM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
rola76 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wapato, WA
Spent the last three days on the Ronde, and fishing was moderate to good. All I can tell you is to bring purple Mag Warts and have some corky set ups ready to go!

We had two boats, and the ONLY color plug that hit was purple. Water was somewhat stained, but pretty good clarity, maybe 3-4 feet. My buddy hit two with peach corkies as we boondogged, but otherwise a total of 12 fish over 2 days fishing. All but two fish were about 4 pounds, and the others were 8 and 9. Oh yeah, only three were hatchery.

Have a good one!!

#180335 - 01/06/03 09:27 PM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Hey thanks JSteel, appreciate the info.!

Rola,

Mag Warts? Were you on the Grande Ronde or the Snake? I would think that the mags would be dredging bottom all day long. Were you perhaps thinking of the regular wiggle warts? Anyway, how were the crowds, lots of folks? Thanks!

RM

#180336 - 01/07/03 11:49 AM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
rola76 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

We were actually fishing Mag Warts, and we caught most of our fish at the head of rapids or in seams between a chute and the flat water right next to it. The reason our plugs weren't hitting is because we really focused on the slow water, so plugs were working very slowly and probably only 1-2 feet under water.

Crowds weren't too bad, but definitely better on Thursday than Friday and Saturday. About 4 guide boats and 3-5 other boats. Quite a few bankies. We talked to a lot of the guides and they touched less fish than us. Again, I think this was due to the purple plugs. Also, they fished the lower part towards Boggan's Crossing, whereas we went all the way up to the Oregon line and floated from there.

#180337 - 01/07/03 12:58 PM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Hey thanks a bunch Rola, I sincerely appreciate it. We are planning on doing the same drift, right at the Oregon Washington border and pulling plugs, and some drift fishing. I'm disappointed that you guys didn't do a bit better, would have thought the plugs would knock em dead given all the fish that are "supposed" to be in the river. Your idea of fishing the mags in the slower water is a good one that I have used on occassion as well. I will most certainly pick up a couple of purple plugs, thanks again!

RM

#180338 - 01/07/03 02:40 PM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
rola76 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

No problem..Good luck!! Also, if time permits, I'd try throwing out some spoons into big pockets behind boulders, but again, only if you have time. Also, keep your eyes peeled, because two of the fish we caught we had spotted in advance as they swirled on the surface slap

#180339 - 01/08/03 12:59 AM Re: Any Grande Ronde Reports?
Sammy Offline
Fry

Loc: Kennewick,
My Buddy and I fished the Grande Ronde the last weekend of December and got into quite a few fish for two days. Hooked 9 hatchery and 6 wild drift fishing above Boggans. We hit fish in every single hole we fished. Saw several people fishing and all seemed to be catching fish. There are tons of fish in the system and they appear to be spread out throughout. Best of luck to you.

Sammy

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645441 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |