Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181938 - 01/16/03 02:39 AM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
Really nice fish!

Makes me ask myself, "stand in an empty river this weekend?" or "Talk Kingfisherman to finnally getting his boat on the water?"

Starting to sound like a no brainer...

I also want to add that you Blackmouth fishermen on this site are awsome, the way you post tips and hot areas is really cool, thank you...
Makes me wish I had a bay boat, because I'd be right out there with you...

Keep em coming.... hello

#181939 - 01/16/03 11:31 AM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, WA
Right on Juggernaut!

I'd say you hooked into a prized wintertime blackmouth. The Manchester area is a transit zone for blackmouth through the winter months into the spring months. They may linger for a while due to the large amount of bait in the area, but they will definitely move out to other areas sometime in the next 2-3 months, like to Possesion, Mid Channel and the strait.

Usually, it's a hit or miss fishery in that area this time of year and learning a few other nearby honey holes can pay off when you can't seem to locate them where you found them 'yesterday'.

The area you hooked this fish in has produced many BM for me over the years. Usually, the bigger ones are 10-15#, so a 17# is a fine catch indeed, but I have seen 25#'ers come out of there in the winter too. But most BM won't weigh over 10# and you'll be challenged to repeat that fine accomplishment. I'd also agree that this fish was going to a biggun', probably over 30# at maturity.

I've been telling UM and DD that there are nice ones out there, right in our backyard, and you proved that in spades!

#181940 - 01/16/03 06:43 PM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
JasonS Offline
Smolt

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
I'd call it a Winter Blackmouth also. The straits put out fish like that allot. They move through our area chasing bait. Big fish are regular acourding to my Father in Law. I have got a few in the low to mid teens last year in December. Last year around Christmas we didn't keep a fish less than 10#. Nobody has been able to fish Manchester in December and January for a few years but back in the day they (old timers) say there were lots of big fish this time of year.

#181941 - 01/17/03 01:41 AM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Seacat, I think your assessment is right on the money.
I, for one, believe you would hear alot more about the presence of these large BM , as uncommon as they are, if more people fished for BM. Today, with regs and other fishing opportunities available, that just isn't going to happen. I think even Mr. Nelson would have to agree. 20-30 years ago when people stayed closer to home to fish and seasons were wide open you heard and saw more of these fish. They were often referred to "springs" and folks believed they migrated in (and out) with the large winter squid populations. They were generally found in the mid sound areas in deeper waters (JfHd, MidCh, NoPt, AllenB ,etc.) but my fishing mentors always said to be ready cause you never knew when one would pop up. Last year, I was fortunate enough to have C&R a similar size BM that I caught in a closed to salmon area (Klaus Rocks) in January in only 40 ft of water in the bright midday sunshine while puttering around with a friend. I got a pic somewhere in this dump. I have also taken them near Pt Monroe, Jeff Head and the Agate Pass area over the years (we're going back now).
But, then again I've also wondered if these fish could be late maturing local BM too. Just as there there are precocious jacks in salmon populations that return a year early, why couldn't there also be a few late maturing (1 year later) adults in the population. Especially since many Puget Sound hatchery chinook are released later by design to promote local habitation. If they are still doing such a practice. Any fish biologist know what the drill is with the hatchery BM program these days?
Anyway, one thing is sure, although these hogs are few and far between (just like 20+ Steelhead), they are definately out there. And with all due respect to a hard charging spring chinook or mamouth ocean king, I still believe BM, small or large, pound for pound may be the spunkiest fighting salmon around. Anybody else agree or disagree? See you off Apple Tree. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#181942 - 01/17/03 11:29 AM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
I knew that picture was around here somewhere. Not much to reference size though other than the jig is a large Pt Wilson Dart (approx 6-7"), 25-30 test Ande and the high gunnel and oarlock of my DB in the foreground. Anyway it was a chunk. Gave me that snort and indignant look when I sent him packing. The Lord was good to both of us that day.

Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#181943 - 01/17/03 12:41 PM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Yes, I agree with you mooch. I do believe that these may be fish that are 1+ years older than the shaker class that is out there now, decendents of the delayed release hatchery effort. They have escaped from their class as small BM and survived the summer run season and are carryovers from last year.

I also have seen some beautiful winter fish caught up at PNP and Possesion, 25+ #ers. It's possible that some of these may be springs, but I think that in the Manchester area, these are blackmouth that are generally moving north with the bait out of the south sound. I've also fished the Fox Island area for BM in the winter too and it's possible to hook into one of those beauties down there too, so that makes me think that these are BM, not springs.

Rambling now...I think that if we raised the minimum length to 24" like the Canucks, we would see even more of these nice ones.

Nice pic too Mooch. I can see that he is a nice little brutus, lot's of spunk in that fish!

#181944 - 01/17/03 02:33 PM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Symbiosis Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia
Great fish! fishy

#181945 - 01/17/03 04:29 PM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Wow, that's really cool symbiosis. I guess it really is tough to know what's being hooked up on out there! smile Wish a few more of those strays would come a little further south.... laugh

#181946 - 01/17/03 05:10 PM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I don't remember where I saw the reference, but if memory serves me correct (PSA Page??):

Blackmouth:

2 1/2 year old fish- 22"- 4#
3 - 3 1/2 year old- 24 to 26"- 8 -10#
4 years+ 15#+

There was a plus/minus factor due to location and amount of bait for specific areas of the sound (would like to know how they came up with this).

I am in concurrence with you Seacat on the majority of the bait moving North. Sekiu (and surrounding areas) normally has a ton of bait in Feb. On the other hand, I know of a few locations of spawning in area 13 where these fish follow the herrring around.

I would say, the majority of the fish follow the bait North. Which in turn is why we hear of "nice" catches up North more often than the Sound South.

I believe in the early 80's we had a 24" limit. Sure made a lot of folks mad however, made for a great Spring/Summer fishery though.

Haven't heard the lastest on the release program since Percival Cove was closed. However, the last time I heard numbers was two years ago. 2.2 million fish released.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#181947 - 01/18/03 09:57 AM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
Wow nice fesh eek
It sounds like a nice BM to me too. Although there could be springs in the sound by now. Someone asked where they go to? I know the White has a small wild run, as did the Puyallup and Nisqually, the Skagit gets a good number and possibly the Snohomish system, not sure. Also the Minter hatchery raises supplementation fish for White River, and I think they clip those fish, and the tribe may clip some or all fish from the White River Hatchery. Point is though if it is an early Spring it does not necasarily have to have developed eggs as it will not even enter the rivers for another 3-4 months and not spawn till August, could also be a summer Chinnok, just a little early too.
Either way, very nice fesh......

NEN cool

#181948 - 01/18/03 10:03 PM Re: 17 lb. king at Manchester
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
'lkxcAJRWERKJLW'RKFR

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 575 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |